Melancholia

Started by MacGuffin, October 15, 2010, 03:06:18 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Spoiler-Free

This was amazing. Absolutely loved it.

Of course it depends what you're expecting. I tried to have no expectations outside of general LVT brilliance. I may have had some faint expectations of morally controversial content, which were not met, but even that didn't matter... at all.

The prologue is more powerful in retrospect or upon second viewing, as all the images are actually crucial/meaningful in the context of the whole film. So just trust in that and enjoy it... and remember it.

I was almost going to say that this is more quiet than other LVT films, but that's not true at all. It's more elegant I guess, and there are more quiet moments, but the powerful scenes are as powerful in their own way as anything LVT has done. This way of doing things is a bit of a departure, but it works. It's more Kubrickian. It actually reminds me of PTA's CMBB shift.

I think I might have appreciated this even more if I had ever experienced depression. If you ever have, prepare to be impressed by the incredible subtlety and realism (and complete lack of cliche) with which the subject is handled.

Also, this movie made me appreciate a Kirsten Dunst performance, which itself is a feat equal to saving the earth from certain destruction.

I'd actually recommend waiting to see this in the theater. I wish I had... it's definitely that kind of movie.

Spoilers

Tell me if I'm interpreting this correctly. Justine was a depressive person to begin with, but it was kicked into high gear when she noticed that star. I'm assuming she also had serious premonitions about the end of the world. She may not have known what they meant at first, but I think it was there. That seems to be the best explanation for her extra early apocalyptic worldview. By the time the rest of the world (Claire) started to fear the possibilities, Justine had already accepted it, dealt with it, and made peace with it.

I love the way all the wedding cliches were sort of destroyed from the inside out during Part 1. The mother was cast as the villain and Justine was cast as the happy bride, and it's so wonderful how that was flipped. Even the groom, who was initially idealized but turned out to be dopey and naive. I love the way Justine's depression (and the full extent of it) was gradually revealed, too.

Another favorite scene is Kiefer Sutherland's character being flipped before he runs off. It's obviously meant to emphasize the certainty of the doom, and it works. Very much brings us into Claire's panic.

The final scene was pretty glorious, and very satisfying. It felt so real somehow... more frightening and I guess more "doomy" than any other apocalypse I've seen on film.

Quote from: RegularKarate on October 04, 2011, 05:47:35 PMIt made me almost as angry as most of his films do so he's definitely still got it.

Why? I'm curious!

Almost forgot... I'd really like to see a feminist interpretation of this film. All the men are either stupid, arrogant, or cowardly. Every single one of them—Justine's new husband (stupid with a note of cowardly), her dad (stupid—he even calls himself "your stupid dad" in that note), her boss (arrogant with a note of stupid), that kid following her around (stupid), the bean counters (stupid), and finally Claire's husband (arrogant in Part 1, cowardly in Part 2). This brings the real dramatic focus onto the female characters. (Calling Reinhold!)

Reel

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on October 18, 2011, 12:18:58 PM
I think I might have appreciated this even more if I had ever experienced depression.

really, never? I guess those people exist. Good review, I think I'll see it now.

RegularKarate

Spoilers

Quote from: RegularKarate on October 04, 2011, 05:47:35 PMIt made me almost as angry as most of his films do so he's definitely still got it.

Why? I'm curious!

I have dealt with depression on both sides.  I understand how hard it is to be depressed (clinically, not just in a "sad day" kind of way).  How you can't accept any answer, everyone is against you and it's useless to fight because everything is bad and only getting worse... the world is going to end.

I also know that it's something you can beat.  It's hard, but it can be beat.

Dealing with someone from the other side... someone who is depressed is so frustrating.  You can tell them you understand, you can tell them things will get better, you can give them everything they need or want and they won't listen to you.  They just fight it and want to live in the dark hole they've created for themselves.  All they want to do is pull everyone else in, show them how terrible things are so they can be miserable together.

I hated Justine.  She is ruining everything around her because she's gotten so deep into her depression, she can't see how selfish she's become and how much she's hurting everyone around her.  She's kind of a terrible person and I think the depression is just making it worse.

Now that I think about it, I disagree with your interpretation.  I think that her depression wasn't made worse by the star heading for Earth.  I think her depression pulled that star to Earth.

Stefen

Quote from: Reelist on October 18, 2011, 02:49:15 PM
I think I might have appreciated this even more if I had ever experienced depression.

really, never? I guess those people exist. Good review, I think I'll see it now.

Yeah, man, those people exist. A lot of them. There's actually a big difference between being legitimately clinically depressed and getting told by your mom to either start paying rent or GTFO, yelling about how you wish you were never born, stomping to your upstairs bedroom with a balcony and crying into a pillow on your king size bed until dinner is ready 5 minutes later.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Jeremy Blackman

Spoilers

Quote from: RegularKarate on October 18, 2011, 03:06:56 PMNow that I think about it, I disagree with your interpretation.  I think that her depression wasn't made worse by the star heading for Earth.  I think her depression pulled that star to Earth.

Oh, I think I like that better. The first time she sees the constellation, it's just a normal constellation, right? I suppose she could have pulled that star (planet) right out of that constellation. This would also explain her acceptance of it and lack of fear.

This would be totally consistent with the grand mythical type of thing LVT was doing in Antichrist. I like it.

So when LVT (very strongly) hints at her clairvoyance, is that a red herring, or would that be connected to this?

RegularKarate

Quote from: S.R. on October 18, 2011, 03:11:07 PM
Yeah, man, those people exist. A lot of them. There's actually a big difference between being legitimately clinically depressed and getting told by your mom to either start paying rent or GTFO, yelling about how you wish you were never born, stomping to your upstairs bedroom with a balcony and crying into a pillow on your king size bed until dinner is ready 5 minutes later.

Thank you.

and JB, to your last question.  I don't know.  I guess I wasn't really paying as much attention to that aspect.  I'd need to see it again.

Jeremy Blackman

Spoilers

Yeah, remember when she tells Claire that she knows the number of beans?

Alright I looked it up...

After Claire suggests the planet is just going to pass by, Justine says the earth is evil and we don't need to grieve for it. She then claims she knows there is only life on earth and nowhere else... "because I know things." She mentions the bean count, says it proves that show knows things, then the key line: "Life is only on earth... and not for long."

Also, she's definitely the first one to realize what's happening with that planet. Very very early.

Reel

Quote from: S.R. on October 18, 2011, 03:11:07 PM

Have you been living next door to me? Sry about the noise..

Robyn

This. Is. The. Best. Movie. Ever. Made.

Yes, I like to use a dot after every word, once in a while.  I feel very creative when I do that.

Seriusly tho, some of the scenes in this film will be stuck in my head til the day I die. This was devastating. Fucking incredible. Holy shit. Fuck you, von Trier.

Jeremy Blackman

Pretty much.

After this and Antichrist, I'm not really sure anymore what LVT's best movie is. (I guess Dancer is my default.) What a streak he's on.

abuck1220

this is playing on hdnet movies on 11/9. hdnet movies is part of directv's "hd extra pack," and you can get a free 3 month preview of that package through directv.

72teeth

fuck that, i need to see this via light, film, and screen.

i need to be overwhelmed by this one.

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: 72teeth on November 03, 2011, 09:19:34 PM
fuck that, i need to see this via light, film, and screen.

i need to be overwhelmed by this one.

I agree. Like I said, I wish I'd seen this first in the theater.

squints

this is really magnificent. the best thing i've seen from von trier in years.

getting to see it in the theater in a couple weeks. Can't fucking wait.

also: Been listening to a lot today because of this movie.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Robyn

This is out on DVD in a week. Can't wait!

Here is the extras:

-COMMENTARY TRACK WITH TRIER
-About Melancholia
-The Visual Style
-About the Universe VFX featurette