Apocalypse Now

Started by El Duderino, March 31, 2004, 07:40:06 PM

phil marlowe

i really love apocalyse now, but is there anyone else who thinks that the scene with the french people in redux was destroying the suspenceful buildup to the brando sequence. i think the scene on itself i good and all -- the last scene in the original cut just seemed so more climatic to me

molly

yes, it seemed a bit like that french crowd was the false climax of the movie

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

soixante

I thought the Redux scenes should have stayed on the cutting room floor.

I watched Apocalypse recently, and I was wondering -- as great as the Duvall/surfing scene is (it's probably the highlight of the entire film, actually), what is the point of the scene?  That war is insane?  Clearly, this point was made when we hear Brando speak on tape in the "extreme prejudice" scene.  In terms of narrative, how necessary is this scene?  My guess is that Kilgore had to napalm that village in order for Willard's mission to continue up the river.  Can anyone confirm this?  I don't know enough about military logistics to figure it out.

25 years later, I prefer Deer Hunter to Apocalypse Now.  Both films are striving to do different things, but ultimately I prefer Deer Hunter because it engages on a deeper level with its characters.  We get to know De Niro, Walken and Savage before they are plunged into the madness of war, and we feel (at least, I feel) the poignance of the men trying to readjust to life after war.  I never got emotionally involved in Apocalyse Now's characters.

Some people complain that Deer Hunter is too long, and that there is no point to the wedding sequence, but I think there is.  The wedding serves as a counterpoint to the funeral at the end, just as the first deer hunt is juxtaposed with De Niro letting the deer escape in the second deer hunt.  We see the rituals of a tight-knit community before and after the war, and we see how life changes and how life goes on, how the community remains the same after the war and yet is totally different from De Niro's perspective.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Dottie_Hinkle

Hey Pubrick, I stand by my words.  Hated AN and liked the Ususal Suspects.  That is a clever film, IMO.  Are any of you people into cool people like Billy Wilder?
Does Anyone Know Where I can get the soundtrack/score to BANANAS?

Pubrick

Usual Suspects is clever in the way that a joke can be clever, after the second time u hear it the punchline is meaningless.

maybe u didn't get what the "twist" was until ur fourth viewing, and then u thought u had witnessed sumthing miraculous? that feeling wore off for me like a month after i saw it.

anyway, this has been argued before, sumone can redirect u and save me the effort of stating the obvious again.
under the paving stones.

pete

yeah, like unbreakable, you can pretty much figure out the ending halfway through the movie.  Actually, Usual Suspect is even more obvious than unbreakable.  it's good "storytelling" I guess, but I'm glad the dude moved onto the X-Mens.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Dottie_Hinkle

I never even got through the film UNTIL the 4th time.  I think once I fell asleep and twice I was too distracted to commit to it.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Dottie_HinkleShouldn't the word superficial be added to the no no list?  

There have been times where I thought I might be wrong about a film.  A good example is The Usual Suspects.  I tried 3 times to watch that film but never got into it.  The fourth time I watched I loved it!  I've given AN many chances to interest me and it doesn't...the reason it's boring!  I've seen the film at least 6 times and I've read the screenplay twice.

Quote from: Dottie_HinkleI never even got through the film UNTIL the 4th time. I think once I fell asleep and twice I was too distracted to commit to it.

3+6+2+4=15

....a question, ....even though you stated that apcalypse now is boring..how come you watched it 6 times and read the screenplay 2 times.?..
(answer in a complete sentence using at least three verbs)...

Dottie_Hinkle

geez, i've never encountered such asshole-ishness...  Anyway, the 6 times and two reads were over many years.  Honestly, I thought I was missing something.  I wasn't.  And don't treat me like I'm stupid, ok?  I'm not some teenager and I am a dedicated movie-freak.  I just happen to dislike this film.  Live with it.

Just Withnail

Quote from: Dottie_Hinklegeez, i've never encountered such asshole-ishness...

Welcome.

modage

Quote from: Dottie_HinkleAre any of you people into cool people like Billy Wilder?
macguffin and i are.  probably cinephile too.  and thats about it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

What I've had a chance to see of Wilder's, I've liked.  Some Like It Hot = okay.  Sunset Blvd. = good, if cheesy at times.  Double Indemnity = excellent.

doja

SoNowThen

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: Dottie_HinkleAre any of you people into cool people like Billy Wilder?
macguffin and i are.  probably cinephile too.  and thats about it.

Hey hey hey, I've only seen 3, but I like what I see.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.