movies assholes dig

Started by pete, October 24, 2004, 11:23:11 AM

meatball

Quote from: Weak2ndActAm I an asshole for referencing Team America (I'll stand by this speech being amazing)?

I don't know, but I'm admiring your previous post which features not only one but two SNL screen captures of a man and a woman going into strange shaking fits.

matt35mm

ENTER THE (lame, but sensible, last-five-minutes-of-Full-House-type) VOICE OF REASON

It's not that these people are "assholes;" it's that they're simple-minded towards movies.  They make a shallow connection with movies that we can understand on a deeper level (not to be conceded, but we DO know more about movies--we simply pay more attention to movies than most people do), whether that might be a level of love, hate, or indifference.

Take American Beauty.  Now, I can watch that and there's a connection that forms between me and the movie.  I can appreciate it on multiple, deeper levels.  But after that connection forms, it becomes personal.  It was an experience that I shared with that movie.  But then if I talk to someone who likes the movie for what I sense to be shallow reasons, I get upset.  Although Fight Club would be a better example, because many more people like that movie for many more shallow reasons.  Same goes for Donnie Darko (because it's "edgy, indie, gothy, etc."), even though I didn't like that movie that much.

Then you get movies like Garden State, which become popular with kids and you can see that it's because, well... the movie was made for kids.  It's cuz it has the same music that the kids listen to and young people dealing with young people situations in a young, "emo" way.  I don't think people over 40 generally make that much of a connection with that movie.  BUT, those reasons for liking a movie are somewhat shallow.  So all the kids around here love Garden State and I kinda wanna yell, "That's because you don't know what you're talking about, you emo 'tard.  It's a movie about people dealing with uninteresting problems who are just a bit too chic and they come to the final lazy conclusion that 'life is worth living, seize the moment, live life, don't be numb anymore, etc.'" (even though I thought the movie was good--but having all these kids like it makes me much more critical of it because those are shallow reasons to like a movie)

Now, for movies that I love, this is what it feels like:  It's like when you fall in love with some beautiful girl, but your friends are just talking about her "hot ass."  SOMETIMES this can ruin what you feel for the girl, and sometimes it can make you feel like you're one of the few that really understands or appreciates her.  It's similar with movies.

Okay I'm done talking.  I was gonna make some better comparisons but I ran out of time.

EDIT:
Okay, I remembered something I wanted to say:  Other people's shallow reasons for liking movies cheapens what we feel for movies.  And we're justifiably pissed off by that.  If you LOVE a movie, and so do some other jerkwads who like it because it's "edgy" or "gory" or "has a lot of cussing and quick camera work," it totally cheapens the purity of the connection that you've made with the movie.  It shouldn't--we should be able to rise above all that and simply enjoy what we're able to enjoy--but it does.  If a so-so movie is suddenly popular, it cheapens your superior opinion on the film.  And let's face that: we know more about movies than the average person.  We are movie nerds.  That's what we are.  So it's valid to say that we know more.  MOST people would say that movies are just a form of entertainment, something you do with your buddies on Friday night.  These people do not make the same kind of connections with movies that we do.  But you and I can't claim cinema as our territory.  Cinema is everyone's territory.  Everyone watches and has opinions on movies.  So when someone says something stupid, and no one else realizes that it's stupid, and there's no one to appreciate your superior knowledge (not necessarily superior opinion), it sucks.

And so we can come on boards like xixax and vent to other people who CAN appreciate that we know movies more than Joe Schmo.  Today I heard a couple of girls talking about how awesome Van Helsing is and gave each other high fives.  I mean, hey, they enjoyed it and there's no problem with that.  But I would've had nothing positive to say to them at that point, so I just kept my mouth shut.  And who the eff am I gonna talk to at my high school about Vera Drake?  I don't even bring it up, because you know as well as I do that I'm just gonna get a "Vera what?"

Oh, and I have overheard several people busting out the high fives over Boondock Saints.  Soooo... yeah.

ono

Quote from: meatball
Quote from: Weak2ndActAm I an asshole for referencing Team America (I'll stand by this speech being amazing)?
I don't know, but I'm admiring your previous post which features not only one but two SNL screen captures of a man and a woman going into strange shaking fits.
I take it you've never seen that segment?  And yeah, like I said before, that dicks/pussies/assholes speech was the most well-written segment we'll see this year.

Anyway, nail --> :hammer: <-- matt35mm hitting said nail smack dab on the head.  Bam!

matt35mm

Quote from: ono.Anyway, nail --> :hammer: <-- matt35mm hitting said nail smack dab on the head.  Bam!

(fist pump)

YESSsssss!  Validation!

Pubrick

Quote from: matt35mmENTER THE (lame, but sensible, last-five-minutes-of-Full-House-type) VOICE OF REASON

It's not that these people are "assholes;" it's that they're simple-minded towards movies.  They make a shallow connection with movies that we can understand on a deeper level (not to be conceded, but we DO know more about movies--we simply pay more attention to movies than most people do), whether that might be a level of love, hate, or indifference.

Take American Beauty.  Now, I can watch that and there's a connection that forms between me and the movie.  I can appreciate it on multiple, deeper levels.  But after that connection forms, it becomes personal.  It was an experience that I shared with that movie.  But then if I talk to someone who likes the movie for what I sense to be shallow reasons, I get upset.  Although Fight Club would be a better example, because many more people like that movie for many more shallow reasons.  Same goes for Donnie Darko (because it's "edgy, indie, gothy, etc."), even though I didn't like that movie that much.

Then you get movies like Garden State, which become popular with kids and you can see that it's because, well... the movie was made for kids.  It's cuz it has the same music that the kids listen to and young people dealing with young people situations in a young, "emo" way.  I don't think people over 40 generally make that much of a connection with that movie.  BUT, those reasons for liking a movie are somewhat shallow.  So all the kids around here love Garden State and I kinda wanna yell, "That's because you don't know what you're talking about, you emo 'tard.  It's a movie about people dealing with uninteresting problems who are just a bit too chic and they come to the final lazy conclusion that 'life is worth living, seize the moment, live life, don't be numb anymore, etc.'" (even though I thought the movie was good--but having all these kids like it makes me much more critical of it because those are shallow reasons to like a movie)

Now, for movies that I love, this is what it feels like:  It's like when you fall in love with some beautiful girl, but your friends are just talking about her "hot ass."  SOMETIMES this can ruin what you feel for the girl, and sometimes it can make you feel like you're one of the few that really understands or appreciates her.  It's similar with movies.

Okay I'm done talking.  I was gonna make some better comparisons but I ran out of time.

EDIT:
Okay, I remembered something I wanted to say:  Other people's shallow reasons for liking movies cheapens what we feel for movies.  And we're justifiably pissed off by that.  If you LOVE a movie, and so do some other jerkwads who like it because it's "edgy" or "gory" or "has a lot of cussing and quick camera work," it totally cheapens the purity of the connection that you've made with the movie.  It shouldn't--we should be able to rise above all that and simply enjoy what we're able to enjoy--but it does.  If a so-so movie is suddenly popular, it cheapens your superior opinion on the film.  And let's face that: we know more about movies than the average person.  We are movie nerds.  That's what we are.  So it's valid to say that we know more.  MOST people would say that movies are just a form of entertainment, something you do with your buddies on Friday night.  These people do not make the same kind of connections with movies that we do.  But you and I can't claim cinema as our territory.  Cinema is everyone's territory.  Everyone watches and has opinions on movies.  So when someone says something stupid, and no one else realizes that it's stupid, and there's no one to appreciate your superior knowledge (not necessarily superior opinion), it sucks.

And so we can come on boards like xixax and vent to other people who CAN appreciate that we know movies more than Joe Schmo.  Today I heard a couple of girls talking about how awesome Van Helsing is and gave each other high fives.  I mean, hey, they enjoyed it and there's no problem with that.  But I would've had nothing positive to say to them at that point, so I just kept my mouth shut.  And who the eff am I gonna talk to at my high school about Vera Drake?  I don't even bring it up, because you know as well as I do that I'm just gonna get a "Vera what?"

Oh, and I have overheard several people busting out the high fives over Boondock Saints.  Soooo... yeah.
that was completely unnecessary, why must the thread bend over backwards to explain what is self-explanatory to all but like one person? anyway, well said, but if this thread needs explaining to anyone then they probably don't belong here.

Quote from: StefenIn New Mexico (in the hood, where I am from) everyone is all about Blood In Blood Out: Bound By Honor. "I may be white from the outside, but i am brown from the inside! VATOS LOCOS FOREVER!"
hahah my bro is always quotin shit from that movie.

and WORD to whoever said Monsters Ball. that's a good one.
under the paving stones.

meatwad

Kids....and everybody always talks about the part where they beat the guy with the skateboard

NEON MERCURY

assholelist

..i agree w/what  everyone said w/ the exception of mulhlndrv

>lost in translation
>requiem for a dream
>saving private ryan
>the doom generation
"the cinematic vapor of godard"
>swordfish
>big daddy, waterboy, billly madison, happy gilmore, little nicky
>wing comander
>clerks/mallrats/jasbsb
>scarface
>wild things

cine

Quote from: NEON MERCURY>clerks/mallrats/jasbsb
The Films of Kevin Smith is more clear/accurate.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: NEON MERCURY>clerks/mallrats/jasbsb
The Films of Kevin Smith is more clear/accurate.

I hate to name any movie, but I sadly agree with this. His fans generally annoy me and some of my best buddies are his enthusiasts. Chasing Amy is an excellent film, a Criterion and I still refuse to buy it.

Jeremy Blackman

Yes... Kevin Smith fans are really the biggest thing that's turned me off from Kevin Smith movies. That and Clerks.

Chest Rockwell

I know a few of these have been said, but this is my personal list that I've piled up.
Donnie Darko
Scarface
Clockwork Orange
Any Wes Anderson movie
Any Quentin Tarantino Movie
Any Slasher flick
Fifth Element
Taxi Driver
Pi and Requiem for a Dream
Usual Suspects
Memento
Napoleon Dynamite

El Duderino

The Matrix (all, including animatrix)
Man on Fire
Elephant
Once Upon A Time in Mexico
Pirates of the Caribbean
Con Air
Armageddon
Independence Day
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

MacGuffin

Team America
Dogville
Tin Drum
Shaun Of The Dead
Mulholland Drive
Un Chien Andalou
Run Lola Run
Almost Famous
Withnail & I
Bride of Frankenstein
Purple Rain
Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey
Amadeus
Shock Corridor
Underground
Out Of The Past
Hedwig and The Angry Inch
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Quote from: MacGuffinTeam America
Dogville
Tin Drum
Shaun Of The Dead
Mulholland Drive
Un Chien Andalou
Run Lola Run
Almost Famous
Withnail & I
Bride of Frankenstein
Purple Rain
Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey
Amadeus
Shock Corridor
Underground
Out Of The Past
Hedwig and The Angry Inch

haha, you got that list by just looking at avatars. xixax is a criterion collection of assholes.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ono

Best post ever.  :yabbse-thumbup:  (Mac's, that is.)