Pearl Jam

Started by rustinglass, July 21, 2003, 03:02:55 PM

rustinglass

yeah, that's true. I have this soundtrack. I never really liked Cypress Hill, I don't particularly like that track, but there is one with Cypress Hill and Sonic Youth alled I Love You Mary Jane, it's kind of a psychedelic Bob Marley-ish experimental rock rap, That's my favourite track.

I never saw the movie, is it any good?
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

OmegaSlacker

Just depends on your preference. I've heard people say they liked it. I thought it sucked, but the soundtrack is decent if you're into that type of music.

My favorite song on the soundtrack is the Mudhoney, Sir Mix-A-Lot song.

As for songs with Mary Jane in the title, the one on the soundtrack isn't bad, but Rick James has a song called Mary Jane that is awesome (if you like his style)
When I was just a baby, my momma told me, "Son, always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns." But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

rustinglass

I like I love you Mary Jane because that kind of crossing of musical styles rarely works and it works pretty good in that track
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Sleuth

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
a. cobain is not a great singer his voice is not as good as vedders(comepare the song smells like teen spirit to PJ's black)...check one for PJ under vocals

You're right, Eddie is a better singer.  But you know who's even better?  Celine Dion.  She should sing for Pearl Jam.  Forget about what actually works with the music style, just get the best singer you can
I like to hug dogs

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: tremolosloth
Quote from: NEON MERCURY
a. cobain is not a great singer his voice is not as good as vedders(comepare the song smells like teen spirit to PJ's black)...check one for PJ under vocals

You're right, Eddie is a better singer.  But you know who's even better?  Celine Dion.  She should sing for Pearl Jam.  Forget about what actually works with the music style, just get the best singer you can

Haha! I totally agree... it all depends on the style... I can't imagine anyone but Kurt singing his songs... Each style is different and each has its virtues.

Nick

rustinglass

Quote from: m©gwai
Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickI can't imagine anyone but Kurt singing his songs.
i can, tori amos did a good job out of "smells like teen spirit".

I didn't know about that, that's my next download. thanks.
-Emir Kusturica

MacGuffin

Quote from: m©gwaisome dude sings (it ain't tricky) "something in the way" on this brilliant album:

That's Hawkman singing...and I agree; that is a great album.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

rustinglass

thanks mogwai :-D

And thank god for edonkey2000 :wink:
-Emir Kusturica

NEON MERCURY

Man...on the "(c)rap-metal" thing i mentioned earlier .I was purely stating that
PEARL JAM HAS NEVER CHANGED THEIR SOUND FOR A ALBUM TO SELL RECORDS AND KEEP UP W/THE CURRENT SOUND(or noise i.e. rap-metal)

the judgement night  thing was just ONE song for a soundtrack nothing more.
I would have been comepletely wrong if an entire album sounded in the same vein as that song in question....but i don't think that making one COLLABORATED (key word) song is deemed saying "gee... Pearl Jam has changed their sound to rap-metal"...

TREMOLOSLOTH:...whats up by-the-way....... 8) ..I was just comparing those two bands in terms of head to head talent...but i know what you mean :wink:

abuck1220

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickI think Vitalogy is my favorite... but after they did that retarded shit with releasing all those "bootlegs" I lost almost all respect for them.

Nick

i'm confused...you'd rather pay $40 for a crappy sounding unofficial bootleg that some dude taped from the 26th row than pay $12 for an official bootleg recorded off the soundboard?

abuck1220

that penn state show might be the best pj show ever. i have the boots for melbourne, champaign, st. lou, chicago, boston 3 (47 songs including an acoustic pre set before the opening band!), and a few others.

about the boston shows...they played three nights (i believe upwards of 95 songs) w/ NO repeats. name another band that could do that!

OmegaSlacker

Quote from: abuck1220

about the boston shows...they played three nights (i believe upwards of 95 songs) w/ NO repeats. name another band that could do that!

Not  to be a smartass, but I could probably name at least ten right off hand.

What I find to be more impressive is that they played around 90 songs, averaging to about 30 songs a night, which is probably about a 2 hour show (at least) when you add in talk time between songs, which I've heard Eddie loves to do, and when you add "guitar jam" time into the songs, which Stone Gossard loves to do.

What's really awesome about Pearl Jam live is that you never know what song they're going to in corporate into one of their sons.

I've heard Daughter played lived with bits and pieces of American Pie, Neil Young's Hey Hey My My and the Wall thrown in all at different times. That's always a cool bonus.

I'll probably catch major hell for bringing his name up, buit Kid Rock is pretty cool in that regard too in concert.
When I was just a baby, my momma told me, "Son, always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns." But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

jokerspath

Quote from: OmegaSlackerI'll probably catch major hell for bringing his name up, buit Kid Rock is pretty cool in that regard too in concert.

MAJOR HELL!! :twisted: (you've officially caught it)

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

rustinglass

Quote from: OmegaSlackerI'll probably catch major hell for bringing his name up, buit Kid Rock is pretty cool in that regard too in concert.

HELL, Slacker! what's wrong with you?!
-Emir Kusturica

OmegaSlacker

I knew it! I knew hell "would strike down upon me with great vengeance and furios anger" for mentioning Kid Rock.  I'm not saying you have to appreciate his music, but he's a good showman at least. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Quote from: NEON MERCURYSo...also i think that PJ got pushed under the rug when nirvana

:roll: rolled into the scene..and EVERYone jumped on the bandwagon leaving Pearl Jam  alone making their own music which..if you compare the two bands PJ beats them out in every way  for example:

I'm not going to argue who's the better band, Pearl Jam or Nirvana, because it is Pearl Jam (had Nirvana had a longer career, maybe an arguement could be made), but Pearl Jam did not get pushed under a rug when Nirvana arrived. Nirvana kicked the door down for Pearl Jam to be noticed. Not to say that Pearl Jam was riding Nirvana's coattails, not a by a long shot. Pearl Jam has the talent to be noticed on their own, but Smells Like Teen Spirit is what got the wave of early 90s rock started in the mainstream.

One "knock" that I have against Pearl Jam is that a couple of their better songs Yellow Ledbetter and Footsteps aren't widely available. Granted, in this age of any song being fairly easy to get due to P2P software, it's not that bad, but you'd think two of the best songs a band has released would be easier for someone without internet connection to get.

Eddie does a damn good cover of Jackson Browne's "I am a patriot" as well. Then again, all of Eddie's covers are great. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away, and then Masters of War with Mike McCready at Dylan's 30th anniversary show. Good stuff.