the strokes

Started by Rudie Obias, January 16, 2003, 04:44:51 PM

SoNowThen

Quote from: themodernage02well i think you should give it another listen.  one, i've had it for over a month now and the cd sounds much better than the downloaded versions, (noticeably so on a few songs).  and two, i think once you start listening to it you'll see that it really does have a completely different vibe from their first record.   the only song that would really 'fit' on their first record from this is Meet Me In The Bathroom, probably because it was the first of the new songs to be written.  and as a band you can tell they are getting better, and expanding their boundaries.  as far as something different, Under Control is a huge departure for them as well as setting them even further apart from any of the other "garage rock" bands.  who would have imagined a Bob Marley-esque ballad?

Agreed. Under Control is probably their best song, if only because it's a touch different.

As Godardian said before, quite good, not the second coming of anything though (I'll leave that to the Libertines  8)  ).
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

I picked this up last night and will be posting as soon as I get a chance to give it a front-to-back listen... sounds good so far, though. Not as immediately grabbing as the first one, but haven't been able to give it proper attention just yet.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

Quote from: NEON MERCURY..i am prob. in the minority ..but it's better than the first one IMO......

my girlfriend likes it better too.  i'm not sure if its my favorite or not, but it probably is a better album as far as the arrangements and their musicianship is concerned.  but theres a raw kind of urgency to the first album that is missing here.  but in its place there are probably better songs!  so, who knows.  i like Reptillia, The End Has No End, the aforementioned Under Control the best i think thus far.  although i think the whole thing is great.  i was extremely worried about being let down, because you never know, but i'm relieved and completely satisfied with the album.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

I've given it about 8 or so listens since getting it and I am a big fan.  Is it better than the first...I don't know.  It's hard to say, it feels like a continuation.  They haven't changed or experimented much but that's ok, this is their 2nd album.  It still is an enjoyable listen and is just as 'cool' as the first.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

tpfkabi

i skipped all of the The band hype and thus skipped the Strokes.

for some reason i was interested this time and listened to the 30 sec clips on MTV.com. that was enough to get me to buy it.

i'm really digging it. my favs are Automatic Stop and Under Control......i think the single may be my least fav of the album.

so now, i need to hear Is This It? prob. ask for it for Christmas.

am i dreaming or did they re-release it packaged with a DVD at one point? i'm guessing this is now out of print since it's only on Amazon.com as an expensive import?........this is what i'll be shooting for if possible.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

Quote from: bigideasi skipped all of the The band hype and thus skipped the Strokes.

for some reason i was interested this time and listened to the 30 sec clips on MTV.com. that was enough to get me to buy it. i'm really digging it. my favs are Automatic Stop and Under Control......i think the single may be my least fav of the album. so now, i need to hear Is This It? prob. ask for it for Christmas.am i dreaming or did they re-release it packaged with a DVD at one point? i'm guessing this is now out of print since it's only on Amazon.com as an expensive import?........this is what i'll be shooting for if possible.

yes, i think a lot of people will brush them off for the same reason because a lot of the "the" bands are nowhere near as good as the strokse are and by being lumped into a catagory like that its gotten them a certain stigma i'm not sure they care for.  
yeah it did come out with a dvd containing all three of their roman coppola directed videos and 2 live performances from mtv2's first 2 dollar bill show (which were also directed by roman coppola).  i believe you can still purchase the dvd for like under five bucks of those same videos.  
also, i would recommend if you have not yet heard it, to buy the import version of IS THIS IT.  thte american release nixes a rocker "nyc cops" in favor of easily their worst song "when it started".  after september 11th happened and their album was just about to come out, they realized they'd rather avoid any potential controversy by releasing a song that contained the lyric "new york city cops, they aint too smart", so it was removed from the american release  however, the album had already been released in the rest of the world with the spinal tapish glove on butt cover/  so they had to then, go into the studio and in 2 days write and record a song to replace it.  in doing so, they created a boppy little tune, but pretty much a throwaway. in my opinion the album loses something not having a rocker in there at that point changes the feel of the record entirely.  also, i prefer the EP versions of 'the modern age' and especially 'barely legal'.  i dont care for the album version of that.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

is the song worth 4 bucks? that's the difference at Best Buy for the American and import versions. i'm thinking i could ask for the regular one and download NYC cops. plus, i don't think my mom would be too excited about buying me the import with that cover.

one of the reasons i didn't like The Strokes at first was because i thought they were too cocky. i saw them on SNL and on some of the talk shows. i remember on one the lead singer threw his mic down and maybe the drummer threw his drum over. i just think that's dumb and cliche' at this point. for some reason, after hearing about the new album coming out, Last Nite got in my head. luckily you can download the MA Ep version on Amazon.com.

where can you buy the DVD for 5 bucks at? do you have it?

ono

The Strokes will be on Conan O'Brien every Tuesday in November, starting tonight.  Like, right now.  In about ... 40 minutes.

European Son

I suppose I'll eat my crow pertaining to a post I made a few months back about The Strokes delivering a classic album and all of that. Don't get me wrong, I'm really digging the new record, but I now don't think they have it in them to be one of the greats. But what they will do is deliver solid rock and roll for years to come. However, in recent interviews, they expressed desire to make something that will last. So we'll see what happens. I'm seeing them this Sunday in Atlanta. They were awesome when I last saw them a year ago. Can't wait.

meatwad

Quote from: bigideas......i think the single may be my least fav of the album.

i think i may be the only one here who really likes the single

godardian

Quote from: Meatwad
Quote from: bigideas......i think the single may be my least fav of the album.

i think i may be the only one here who really likes the single

I like it quite a bit, too. Definitely NOT my least fave on the album.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

European Son

One thing I really like about the new record is how they spruced up "Meet Me In the Bathroom" for the studio recording. I've been listening to that song for a year now via bootlegs, and of all of the new songs they played last tour that was the one I thought needed the most work. The studio version delivers a forceful, determined sound that the early version lacked. Big improvement. I'm not, however, sure that I like what they did to "Between Love and Hate" (also known as "Ze Newie"). I think the uptempo early version might have worked better. Hmm.

godardian

I'm really loving this album. I think "You Talk Way Too Much" is my favorite song so far; anything with that "Be My Baby" drum roll has me from the start (it worked for JAMC's "Just Like Honey," too). They really are like the Ramones in the way that the songs seem to be all "good" (melodious, catchy) parts.

Some have mentioned "Under Control" as a favorite... I certainly don't dislike it, but it's probably my least favorite on the album. They do punchy a good sight better than balladeering.

tpfkabi

no one mentions Automatic Stop and that's probably my favorite.

i don't want to retread the thread, but if you didn't know......they're appearing on Conan the next 3 Tuesday nights. this Tues. they played Reptilia

European Son

I saw The Strokes last night. It may just be me, but I think these guys have majorly improved over the last year. When I saw them in 2002, they sounded like a cool band with cool songs that you just want to party to. When I saw them last night they sounded like professional musicians. They are dedicated to being a great band and their hard work was apparant in their performance. "Reptilia" was astounding in person. The U.S. tour is over, but any European posters here must go check them out when they came your way. And in case anyone is wondering, the Room on Fire songs trump the old Is This It? songs live.