Apple is the best thing ever

Started by Kal, October 12, 2005, 02:59:39 PM

as much as the ipod i got has given me troubles, i will save money for one of these new ones.
context, context, context.

Pubrick

btw, this will be the last ipod-related thread ever on xixax. any news relating to ipods or apple will be stuffed into one of the three existing threads.
under the paving stones.

Kal

Quote from: Pubrickbtw, this will be the last ipod-related thread ever on xixax. any news relating to ipods or apple will be stuffed into one of the three existing threads.

lets make it the official Apple thread... cause its about more than just the iPods

Ghostboy

Yeah, Apple is really doing a nice job of slowly, subtly developing iTunes into the sort of home entertainment hub Microsoft has always had wet dreams about. The iPod is just a nifty extension of this. It's gonna be exciting to see where this goes.

Andyk, you mentioned in a thread a few months ago that the company you're developing will have a lot of downloadable content for cell phones and such, right? I assume you're gonna be jumping all over this.

Rudie Obias

Quote from: Ghostboy
And the remote control for the new iMac? That's a big hint right there, too.

yeah, i'm kinda pissed about this i really want a remote for my g5 imac but i don't think it's compatable with the new apple remote.  it's compatable with 2005 imacs and mine is a 2004 imac.  i'm pissed i was the first to buy the g5 imac at the apple store in cleveland.  dammit!!!!!!!!!

btw, that new ipod video is awesome. i just watched the steve jobs presentation and i want one now. i want to have short films with me at all times. it definately makes me to make more short films.

ps
maybe i'll sell my imac to buy a new one. any takers?
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

SHAFTR

fuck the ipod video.

look at the new g5

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Rudie Obias

Quote from: SHAFTRfuck the ipod video.

look at the new g5

yeah, i know.  it's awesome.  built in isight, apple remote, mighty mouse, front row and photo booth applications.  and it's cheaper than what i originally paid for a year ago.  dammit!!  i want it....
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Kal

Quote from: GhostboyYeah, Apple is really doing a nice job of slowly, subtly developing iTunes into the sort of home entertainment hub Microsoft has always had wet dreams about. The iPod is just a nifty extension of this. It's gonna be exciting to see where this goes.

True. But the Microsoft Media Center is going to have a huge impact. The problem is that they havent been able to advertise it and get as much attention as Apple does with these products.

Still, I have my Mac connected to my Plasma and its the best thing you can ever dream of.

Quote from: GhostboyAndyk, you mentioned in a thread a few months ago that the company you're developing will have a lot of downloadable content for cell phones and such, right? I assume you're gonna be jumping all over this.

Yeah. We are launching KOOSY in a couple of weeks. The cell phones part is not done yet, and its the less important. The main thing is that you can download movies, music, tv shows, videos, etc... but its all done as a Community so you can discuss it and even share the content with friends.

Also, with the film production company we signed a big deal for digital distribution, and that is going to be big for everyone in the movie biz in the next couple of years.

polkablues

Quote from: andykTrue. But the Microsoft Media Center is going to have a huge impact.

I've got an HP Media Center PC, and I gotta tell ya, Microsoft is going to have to seriously overhaul their Media Center software is they expect it to have any impact.  It's clunky, hard to use, and it doesn't really do anything that you can't do with a handful of smaller, quicker, third-party programs.  Even the remote control is mostly useless, as I rarely (never) watch my computer from the other side of the room.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Kal

But the Media Center is not to have as a computer... but as a Media Center. You connect it to the TV and the Home Theatre, and your Cable Box. Then you can record programs, watch two at the same time, download stuff and watch it on the TV, etc. Then the remote makes sense too.

They have to make it nicer and easier... but they will have that next year with the new operating system

MacGuffin

Hollywood Calls for Cut of Video IPod Pie

In a show of unity, five unions representing actors, writers and directors issued a joint call for talks to make sure their members get a cut of revenue generated by the sale of TV shows on Apple's iTunes software.

The unions sent a clear message to TV producers.

"We have not yet heard from the responsible employers of our members," their joint statement said. "But we look forward to a dialogue that ensures that our members are properly compensated for this exploitation of their work."

The presidents of unions representing Hollywood writers and actors were lunching at a popular Beverly Hills restaurant on Wednesday when they saw a TV report about a deal to allow episodes of ABC shows such as "Lost" to be downloaded for portable viewing on the new video iPod from Apple Computer Inc.

In doing the deal with Apple, ABC became the first network to allow viewers to download episodes of their shows the day after they air on TV. Other networks are expected to follow shortly.

The development was news to Patric Verrone, president of the Writers Guild of America, west, and John Connolly, president of the American Federation of Television & Radio Artists.

The two called their counterparts at the Screen Actors Guild, Directors Guild of America and the Writers Guild of America, East, which covers writers east of the Mississippi.

The show of unity was unusual, coming from unions that are sometimes at odds over issues such as royalties from DVD sales.

"We developed a new piece of stationary that never existed before," Verrone said of the joint statement.

The unions have not yet called ABC or its parent, The Walt Disney Co., to discuss how much of the $1.99 that Apple is charging for a single episode should go to writers, actors and directors.

"The guilds are our business partners, and we always welcome a dialogue with them on any business-related issue that affects their members," ABC said in a statement.

The groups already have agreements that cover the re-use of their work on the Internet or in "pay per view" models, such as video on demand. The unions also have newer agreements covering work produced for the Internet.

Under the WGA contract, writers are entitled to 1.6 percent of the license fee paid by networks to the producers of a show. The ABC hits "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives," are produced by Touchstone Studios, Disney's TV production arm.

Actors are entitled to 3.6 percent of the license fee.

A conflict could arise if studios decide to treat the Internet downloads the same as a DVD sale, which might result in lower payments.

"We have to learn more about the actual technology," Verrone said. "I'm thrilled by the notion I can watch my shows in the palm of my hand, but I also want to make sure we are paid appropriately."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

did all them psp buyers just waste their money?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ravi

Quote from: petedid all them psp buyers just waste their money?

No, if they like to play portable video games.  Yes, if they wanted a device to carry video around.

Pubrick

Quote from: Ravi
Quote from: petedid all them psp buyers just waste their money?
No, if they like to play portable video games.  Yes, if they wanted a device to carry video around.
also yes, if they thought they had invested in at least a year of Coolest Kid On the Block.
under the paving stones.

Ravi

As Kramer would say, "Well, yeah!"