Lucky Louie (and now Louie)

Started by Ravi, June 09, 2006, 12:42:41 AM

cronopio 2

i hadn't seen the second episode (got confused when everyone started mentioning the poker scene and i had no idea what you were talking about. i thought you were still talking about lucky louie and that made me feel sad)   but now that i've seen the first two episodes i'm even more excited about what this could end up being. i love the ethereal tone of the show. it's too early to say but i think this is going to end up being better than curb in terms of american comedy. the best current shows are 'peep show' and 'the thick of it' ,  i think.

squints

Quote from: squints on July 02, 2010, 03:44:30 AM
holy fucking shit this is the funniest and best show on tv right now.

i really really hope louie can keep it up.

wrote this drunk last night. woke up today watched episode 2. while still funny, episode 1 was better. Really can't wait til the next one.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

samsong

the pilot's golden (best awkward date ever).  also loved the poker scene in the second episode, mostly the stuff before the faggot discussion.  "does your mom really do that?" "i don't know, i don't talk to her every day."  hahaha.  and while the lecture on the origins of the word and its negative connotations was heavy handed, the pay off was pretty lovely: that spotted-from-a-mile-away punchline, the kiss on the cheek, the laughter and the sense of camaraderie.

anyone else catch the third episode?  lays the pathos a little thick but still engaging.  like cron pointed out, there's an ethereal quality to the show that, when paired with louis ck's vulgarity, cynicism, and comedy-as-therapy approach, makes for great tv.  ricky gervais is the ham of hams but has a good time and thus is enjoyable to watch.   "i guess this is where the letter c comes for her dialysis" had me fucking rolling. 

jerome

that's it, i fucking love this show. i saw the finale yesterday and it was the perfect ending to a near-perfect first season. louie didn't turn out the way i expected in that it's not an all-out comedy, but more of a hybrid show about everything, with spot-on observations and surprising depth in every episode. and it looks good too. i'm really psyched it got picked up for a second season.

squints

holy fuckin christ episode 11? what the hell? where did that come from?
tom noonan giving this crazy beautiful monologue?

Amy Landecker, who i've never heard of, giving an insanely great performance as louie's mom. Wow. this is great.

i did not expect that from louie...holy shit...this show has officially blown my mind.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

It's no Pootie Tang.  But at least it's not I Think I Love My Wife.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

pete

well it's still better than most tv shows, but now it feels like more of a sitcom. the chat with the sister was unbearable.
he has a writing staff now too, that's trouble.
- Buster Keaton

john

Quote from: pete on June 24, 2011, 01:01:10 PM
well it's still better than most tv shows, but now it feels like more of a sitcom. the chat with the sister was unbearable.
he has a writing staff now too, that's trouble.
Yeah, wholly disappointing. Especially the fact that the entire episode pretty much leads up to a fart gag. A gag that's almost redeemed by how long they hold on the disappointment and embarrassment of everyone as they file out of the room.

It's an unexceptional episode, but there were some unexceptional moments in last season, too.  That's kind of the great/frustrating thing about this show... every episode has a different feel and a different intention. Sometimes it'll align with what I want from it... sometimes not.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

72teeth

season premieres almost always suck
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Pozer

this entire show almost always sucks. though i'm one of the very few HERE that sees zero brilliance in it.

pete

I loved the tangents he went on in his previous shows. The pot smoking episode was amazing in his depiction of a 20-30something pothead, his reduction of young kids in a cafe was so deadon that they were speaking gibberish. I just didn't get the point of having good neighbors or having his girl learn a lesson about the world being unfair.
- Buster Keaton

diggler

loved the middle finger opening. Such a simple heartbreaking scene that only Louis CK could add a punchline to.

The sister conversation was awkwardly edited, but I loved her character. I kept waiting for something to go wrong with the neighbors but I suppose that's what his misdirection was. When the show cuts away to the standup bits sometimes I wish it would keep going. His standup is so strong.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Ravi

Quote from: pete on June 24, 2011, 02:54:51 PM
I loved the tangents he went on in his previous shows. The pot smoking episode was amazing in his depiction of a 20-30something pothead, his reduction of young kids in a cafe was so deadon that they were speaking gibberish. I just didn't get the point of having good neighbors or having his girl learn a lesson about the world being unfair.

I think that scene was related to the first minute of from his Shameless special.

pete

he's done a few bits all related to starbucks and coffeeshop and gibberish. in hilarious he talked about the current generation of kids who don't make any effort when talking and every word sounds like it just fell out of their mouths.
- Buster Keaton