I Just Bought...

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, October 25, 2003, 05:14:10 PM

Kellen

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Because I don't own it, it's OOP, and it isn't on Netflix in any form.  Sometimes I panic and make orders like this.  What if I wanted to watch Goodbye South Goodbye and couldn't?  That'd be horrible.  This isn't what I'd classify a ballsy or intense purchase because it's a used $7 copy from Amazon.  But the order has its risks.  Two others in the price range were described as ex-rentals so I ordered this one which wasn't.  But, you know, fuck Amazon Marketplace, because sellers don't always fully disclose, and this is one with few ratings and perhaps different ideas about honesty and dvd description necessities.  Who really knows what I'm getting.  It could be a bootleg, and I could e-mail the seller and ask "why the bootleg buddy?" and the seller could be like "dude I can't tell the difference, so what if it has a white-background label and home-computer menu screen, what kind of weirdo are you?"  I've been burnt many times by 'like new' descriptions and seller knowledgeability.  I always swear them off.  But sometimes I panic.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

picolas

yes! these should all have stories!

these will be among the last handful of dvds i buy, probably. it's just too easy to find movies by other means and a little too painful to know i'm missing out on the full blu treatment. some blus even have exclusive commentaries now.. i mainly bought these because they were part of a pretty good bargain going on at my former place of work (4 for $13), and purchasing them was a little act of nostalgia. i hadn't been to the place since i'd been away at school for four months. it was neat seeing how the shelves had changed and the ridiculous messages they have to put up for silly jerks (like 'the girl with the dragon tattoo is SUBTITLED! TO ACCESS SUBTITLES, PRESS "MENU" ON YOUR REMOTE, GO TO "SET-UP", AND SELECT ENGLISH SUBTITLES, THEN "PLAY"' -or- 'IT IS THE CUSTOMER'S RESPONSIBILITY TO UPDATE THEIR BLU-RAY PLAYERS PERIODICALLY. WE CANNOT REFUND FOR THIS REASON ANY LONGER.') i had nearly forgotten how most people love renting clearly horrible movies too.. rows of
etc... so glad to be out of there..

mogwai

Ravi

I've never seen Spartacus or Barry Lyndon. Especially looking forward to seeing the latter.

Stefen

^I bought Lolita and Lyndon, but separately because I already had the others ones in that set.

Also got...

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

and Barry Lyndon blu-ray
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Ravi

$14.99 at Target, folks.

mogwai

Quote from: Ravi on June 12, 2011, 09:08:58 PM

$14.99 at Target, folks.

Have they fixed the framing issue on part 2?

Ravi

I think that was just on the DVD, and they had a replacement disc program. AFAIK there's no framing issue on the Blu-Ray, which is what I bought.

RegularKarate

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

My girlfriend's a film snob. I'm serious, she's tough. I mentioned her anger from me taking her to see Bridesmaids. She's really particular about movies in a really particular way, so today for example she's pre-ordering
naturally, to give you an idea of what kind of snob she is. She's pre-ordering from Amazon and wants to get free $25 shipping. She needs to add another item. There's a movie I want to order, but I'm afraid she'll give me a hard time about it, so I tell her there's been a "critical reappraisal" of this movie. In reality I'm referring to a wilderesque post, but it doesn't matter because she's not having it anyway, my psychological attack of appealing to a higher authority completely fails.  She doesn't care about the critics.  Good for her, bad for me because why did I even say that?  It's not like I didn't know.  She becomes suspicious because of my transparent use of psychology in the first place.  I tell her the movie is
. She asks me, nicely, if I'm sure that's the movie I want to order. I ask her if she's seen the movie.  She's quiet for a moment and says no. Then she reminds me that our friends have seen the movie and didn't like the movie. I tell her that using our peers for a standard is the same as using critics. She says the movie looks like a waste of time.  Good point, you don't want to waste time. I ask her why she thinks the movie will be a waste of time, what she knows about the movie, and it turns out she knows very little about the movie.

Of course the next moment I emphasize I'll pay the $10 portion of the order myself and it doesn't even matter. Money settles matters when a shared opinion cannot be reached. I have a feeling she's not going to watch it with me but I have my fingers crossed.

wilder

Oh man I didn't expect you to just buy it, hope I didn't steer you wrong.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Nah don't worry. I wanted the blu-ray, and it'll win with me either way, if it's interesting because it's good or if it's interesting because it's bad. And I wanted to see some Mann because I got excited he may do that racing movie. I'm such a fucking fan of race movies, southern racecar movies especially. The Last American Hero for example, and Cronenberg's Fast Company.

wilder

Alright I feel better.