Terminator Genisys

Started by MacGuffin, April 26, 2011, 08:04:32 PM

MacGuffin

Arnold Schwarzenegger Back To Star As 'Terminator' In Rights Package Shopping Now; 'Fast Five's Justin Lin To Direct
BY MIKE FLEMING |Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: He's back. Arnold Schwarzenegger is attached to star in a rights package that CAA is shopping today that will revive The Terminator, one of Hollywood's most iconic science fiction franchises. The agency is dropping the package on studios this afternoon. There is no screenwriter attached at this point, and Robert Cort is producing. This is the first real activity on The Terminator project since February 2010, when the property emerged from a bankruptcy auction and into the possession of Pacificor. The Santa Barbara-based hedge fund posted a bid of $29.5 million, with the promise that additional multimillion-dollar payments for each film would go to Halcyon, the company that made the 2009 McG-directed Terminator Salvation. That film starred Sam Worthington as the cyborg and Christian Bale as John Connor, and the storyline launched the battle between Skynet and the human survivors of the apocalypse, the war foreshadowed in James Cameron's visionary 1984 original film. Halcyon wanted to make several films but ran out of money. At the time of the auction, Pacificor beat out a combined bid by Lionsgate and Sony planning to make back-to-back sequels to bring the franchise to a natural creative conclusion. While many felt at the time that Pacificor overpaid and that Lionsgate and Sony would have been better matches for the material, CAA has chosen an optimum time to seek a new deal. I wrote back in February that Universal quietly was trying to arrange for Lin to be helmer of the project. At the time, some turned up their noses. Given the strong international grosses being racked up by Fast Five and the expectations for a strong domestic opening this Friday, Lin has a lot of heat. And Schwarzenegger is looking to recapture past marquee glory ending his run as California State Governor. Schwarzenegger has circled several projects including Last Stand for Lionsgate, but here, he's the star, returning to the signature role that once established him as the world's biggest movie star. I'm told that already, Universal, Sony and Lionsgate are looking hard at the package. Much like the Superman property, The Terminator has a ticking clock on the rights. There is a stipulation in copyright law that if you assign your rights, you get them back in 25 years In this case Cameron assigned his rights to Hemdale, and the North American rights will revert back to him in 2018. Now, Cameron has more or less washed his hands of the Terminator franchise, but I'm told a new deal would have to be made with him if the plan was to keep making Terminator installments beyond that period. There is plenty of time to make at least two Terminator films before that happens, and that might be sufficient to end the saga that so far has spanned four films. Any financier that makes those films owns them free and clear. Rumor is the project price tag is at least $25 million upfront, against a purchase price near $36 million, not including paydays for Schwarzenegger or Lin. It would stand to reason because of the amount Pacificor paid in 2010 and the interest it has carried since. I'm told there is no set price, but this will likely be a whopping sale by the time the dust has settled and the bidding is complete.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Laeta Kalogridis And Patrick Lussier Set To Script New 'Terminator'
BY MIKE FLEMING JR | Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: Skydance Productions and Annapurna Pictures have set Laeta Kalogridis and Patrick Lussier to script the next installment of The Terminator franchise.

Her credits include Avatar, Shutter Island and Alexander, produced White House Down. Lussier scripted Wes Craven's Dracula and My Bloody Valentine. Skydance's David Ellison recently hired the scribes to write an original scifi adventure film, with an idea initiated by Skydance. Megan Ellison paid a fortune for the rights several years ago, and recently teamed with brother David, whose company finds big ticket action films like Terminator to be in its wheelhouse. David, who just produced Jack Reacher, had the relationship with the scribes, though interestingly Kalogridis also is tight with Terminator creator James Cameron. Megan Ellison is in the thick of the Oscar race with Zero Dark Thirty and The Master.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Paramount Sets 'Terminator' Relaunch For June 26, 2015
BY MIKE FLEMING JR | Deadline

RELATED: Megan And David Ellison Will Each Pay 33% Of 'Terminator' Costs; Paramount Paying The Rest To Bring Arnold Back

Paramount has confirmed the long in the works deal to cofinance and distribute the reboot of James Cameron's Terminator franchise creation. Highbrow picture maker Megan Ellison spent over $20 million for the rights in 2011, and the project didn't go very far. Things finally started percolating when Megan Ellison and her Annapurna Pictures joined forces with brother David Ellison, whose Skydance Productions has a deal with Paramount and makes popcorn movies. Avatar's Laeta Kalogridis and Patrick Lussier have been working on the script for months. Arnold Schwarzenegger returns as the title character and the hope is to get at least two movies done before North American copyright reverts back to Cameron, who might want a fortune or might want to retire the franchise. Here's the announcement:

Skydance Productions, Annapurna Pictures and Paramount Pictures have jointly announced they will partner on a rebooted "TERMINATOR" movie, to be released by Paramount Pictures on June 26, 2015.

The first in a stand-alone trilogy, "TERMINATOR" will be produced by Megan Ellison of Annapurna and David Ellison of Skydance. Dana Goldberg and Paul Schwake of Skydance will serve as executive producers. Laeta Kalorgridis ("Avatar," "Shutter Island") and Patrick Lussier ("Drive Angry") are attached to write the screenplay.

Launched in 1984 with star Arnold Schwarzenegger as the title character, "TERMINATOR" spanned 3 subsequent films, which have earned over $1 billion at the worldwide box office.

David Ellison most recently executive produced, along with his partners at Paramount, "World War Z," "Star Trek Into Darkness," "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" and "Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol". A 5th installment of in the "Mission: Impossible" franchise is in active development, along with a 3rd film in the "G.I. Joe" franchise, among other films.

Megan Ellison most recently produced the Academy Award®-nominated "Zero Dark Thirty," "The Master" and executive produced "Spring Breakers" via her Annapurna Pictures banner and has David O. Russell's "American Hustle," Spike Jonze's "Her," and Bennett Miller's "Foxcatcher" set for release later this year.

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

* Larry Ellison Will Pay 66% Of 'Terminator' Costs.

MacGuffin

Arnold Schwarzenegger "will be back" as Terminator at the age of 66
Source: The Mirror

Hollywood legend Arnold Schwarzenegger "will be back" as the Terminator in just two years time.

Arnie, now 66, will step up to the plate as the T-800 once again for a new story of the sci-fi classic.

The actor last appeared in the franchise in 2003 a whole decade ago in Terminator 3 and there was another film made without him.

US reports said that Alan Taylor, director of Thor: The Dark World, has been booked for the fifth movie.

Fantasy fans love Taylor as he directs HBO's cult hit Game of Thrones too.

Arnie is due to put on the shades and go cyborg for his fourth outing in the lead role.

Arnold Schwarzenegger in the film Terminator 
He last played the killing machine in 2003's The Rise Of The Machines, which he earned over $30m for thanks to salary and back end deals.

Paramount Pictures refuses to release any "Terminator" plot details yet, but says the film is the first of an entire new trilogy.

A film source said: "Given his age this could be the last time Arnie can say 'I'll be back'.

"He will want the Terminator franchise to go out with a bang so you can expect lots of explosions and special effects.

"Arnold is just fantastic in the role and knows this world better than anyone."

Arnold is to return to the cinema screen 
Arnold is expected to earn over £13m ($20m) for the role, which made him a global star in 1984. Actress Linda Hamilton and Michael Biehn will also return to the cast. An early release date is slated for June 2015.

The source added: "Paramount have hired Taylor because of the way he mixes extreme action with dynamic story telling. While these movies are are about action, their success has been down to the exchanges between the robot and men.

Fan sites claimed that  Dwayne Johnson is wanted to play the Terminator that is sent to the 40s or 50s to assassinate Sarah Connor's parents and that Arnold would play a human that protects them and serves as the inspiration for the T-800.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

"Creatively" misspelled title? Old, flabby robot man? Emilia Clarke struggling with an American accent? Jai Courtney still trying to be a leading man? Where do I not sign up???
My house, my rules, my coffee

Lottery

Wow, that trailer was really bad.

modage

Everything old is worse again.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

It's just a mishmash of crap, scenes, lines, characters, everything from the other movies but worse. What the hell is this.

max from fearless

whatever it is...(retromania gone berserk?)...it makes me cry...

cronopio 2

i saw it. it's an entertaining piece of shit with a good cast.

would see it again hungover/10

jenkins

you think you're gonna go long haul? they're going to do a trilogy and i kind of want to give up. but that's so hard on it!

felt like the action spectacle version of the disappearance of eleanor rigby. everyone's pretty calm, getting calmer about this humans/robots war. there was a lot of talking about what's going on. and the recent article there was that you read, you know what i'm talking about -- the recent one about the problem with action movies today being they're spectacle spectacle spectacle without feeling, without danger and risk. i think a lot of special effects were used in this movie but there weren't special effects in my heart, i fell asleep twice i think, in the beginning after there are two arnolds, but only for a little bit each time and so now i've seen this movie, well alright