What is a "great" director?

Started by Sunrise, November 09, 2006, 08:24:50 PM

Sunrise

Quote from: Ghostboy on January 03, 2007, 07:28:23 PMBut Del Toro and Lynch totally upstage everyone else. It's beautiful.

Exactly...and actually, no one else needed to say a word.

I loved the part when Lynch was basically saying you're dead without final cut and Estevez follows up with a statement that virtually no one has it. Poor Emilio.

Chest Rockwell

The sad fact about that interview is that only two of the directors are worth talking to, and that the interviewer had to pop the "alone on the island" scenario at the end.

pete

that's cool that del toro, who's made all these studio films that are actually quite fun and successful, is attacking the studio.  that gives him street cred and further invalidates meyer.  nancy meyer was always second-rate at best--her studio films aren't even that good in studio terms, interviewing someone with that sort of relevance or success is a little bit puzzling.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

socketlevel

actually i really liked Emilio's answers, he obviously looks back at his father's time in the film industry and appreciates the creative control they had.  he often gets a bad rap, however i feel his heart is in the right place.  it's true his mind isn't as expansive as Del Toro and Lynch's, who are truly out there (in a good way), but i think the three of them are coming from the same sensibility.  they're all dreamers, progressive cynics, and gentle men that dream of revolution.  This is interesting cuz their paired with Meyers, who comes off like a timid delusional self-indulgent sheep.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...