What's More Important to You on a DVD?

Started by modage, March 27, 2004, 03:18:24 PM

modage

okay, this may seem stupid and i cant remember if there has been a topic specifically about this before, but its something i was curious about because of a decision i made recently....

-what is more important to you on a dvd release?  a flawless transfer or great extras?  

and i'm not talking about the difference between a shitty transfer or not.  probably to some people the difference might not be noticable.  but like the duel spider-man releases that are coming out soon.  for anyone who doesnt already own the film, and might consider buying it would you get the Superbit with no extras?  or the Deluxe loaded with extras?  i always thought i would go for the Extras without question.  however recently when i bought Lawrence Of Arabia, i got the superbit instead of the 2 disc with extras.  i read a review of the disc at digital bits in their year end best of list and they convinced me the transfer was SO MUCH better it was astounding.  so i ditched my plans for the other disc and got the superbit.  

obviously, a superbit transfer with other discs loaded with extras is ideal, but in these rare instances where you are forced to make a choice, where do your tastes lie?

BARE BONES, BETTER TRANSFER?
LOADED WITH EXTRAS, INFERIOR TRANSFER?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Ghostboy

How about 2-disc sets, with a Superbit movie and extras on disc two? That would be ideal. Otherwise, my excuse for not choosing superbit is that my home theater system isn't good enough to do the extra quality justice.

Do Superbit movies really have new transfers, or are they just the same transfers at a higher bitrate? The latter would seem to be the case to me, from my DVD authoring experience, but I really don't know.

MacGuffin

DVD extras will always win out for me.

Quote from: GhostboyDo Superbit movies really have new transfers, or are they just the same transfers at a higher bitrate? The latter would seem to be the case to me, from my DVD authoring experience, but I really don't know.

Same transfers with higher bitrate. With the Superbit Bram Stoker's Dracula DVD you can see all the print scratches with such clarity.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

But I still think the most important thing on a DVD is that it has the actual movie.
Si

modage

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaumBut I still think the most important thing on a DVD is that it has the actual movie.
thats not really my question.  use the Lawrence of Arabia or Spider-man dvds as examples.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaumBut I still think the most important thing on a DVD is that it has the actual movie.

If it didn't include the movie, wouldn't that just make it a CD? Obviously if you bought the DVD, you like the movie. What mod-age is asking is the best compliment to the film; more insight with extras, or a crisp, clean print with maximum sound.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

rustinglass

the transfer is the most important, but of course everyone likes the extras.
My "deer hunter" dvd only has a trailer (which sucks, It say "THE DEER HUNTER" 200000 times!) but the transfer is very very good, so I still think of it as a great dvd. The same goes for "the elephant man"
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Pas

I don't really care much for extras, give me a decent transfer over any "Pictures from the set"

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: themodernage02
thats not really my question.  use the Lawrence of Arabia or Spider-man dvds as examples.

and

Quote from: MacGuffinIf it didn't include the movie, wouldn't that just make it a CD? Obviously if you bought the DVD, you like the movie. What mod-age is asking is the best compliment to the film; more insight with extras, or a crisp, clean print with maximum sound.

I'm sorry, I was just trying to be a stupid dick.
Si

SHAFTR

I have the 2 disc Lawrence of Arabia dvd.  I see nothing wrong with the transfer.

I'd rather have the extras, especially if it has commentary.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

godardian

Quote from: rustinglassthe transfer is the most important, but of course everyone likes the extras.
My "deer hunter" dvd only has a trailer (which sucks, It say "THE DEER HUNTER" 200000 times!) but the transfer is very very good, so I still think of it as a great dvd. The same goes for "the elephant man"

This is my feeling exactly. Extras are just that: It's crucial to have the highest quality rendering of the film itself. One of the my reasons to love the folks at Criterion is their commitment to providing both the best possible transfer AND relevant (and often rare) supplements.

But it's all about the movie, for me.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Weak2ndAct

Sure, extras are swell, but the lack of any wouldn't dissuade me from making a purchase if I really love the movie/show.  If the disc is loaded, it's certainly a higher priority b/c I know I'll get more out of it than just watching the movie again.

But here's a thought that makes me sound like some old man:
With all the whining about 21 Grams, Matrix-rereleases and other stuff, I thought back to the old days before DVD took off.  When a movie came to the video, 85% of the time it was rental priced ($90ish), so your only options were renting it multiple times or waiting for a used copy.  Or waiting 6 more months for the sell-through release.  But now, 4 months after theatrical release, the dvd is out for 20 bucks and all the waiting is lost.  Things have gotten better, the prices have gone down, so if you have to wait a couple extra months for some extra stuff BOO HOO.  It's better than it used to be.

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinDVD extras will always win out for me.
me too, except for this case.  here is the review that made me stray from thy chosen path.....

BEST DVD - VIDEO (RESTORATION): Lawrence of Arabia: Superbit
Now here is what Columbia's Superbit label was made for. A quantum leap over the original release of this title, the Superbit Lawrence of Arabia is quite possibly one of the most breathtaking DVDs ever released. Supervised by original LOA restorer (and Bits contributor) Robert A. Harris, this disc shows exactly what this format is capable of simply through careful attention to compression and color correction, not artificial enhancement or electronic sharpening. Kudos to the team at
Columbia TriStar for stepping up to the plate and finally doing right by this important film. If you want to experience one of the most beautiful films ever shot the way it was meant to be seen, this is the way to go.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
although after reading what you said about the Dracula transfer, i'm a little worried.  i was under the impression they had done a new transfer, but that may not be the case.

cine

Quote from: themodernage02BARE BONES, BETTER TRANSFER?
LOADED WITH EXTRAS, INFERIOR TRANSFER?
In the case of Lawrence of Arabia, I go with the Superbit anyday. A film like Spider-Man, I would go with the Deluxe Edition in a heartbeat. Two entirely different films that are on entirely different levels of entertainment in my view.