PDL on DVD

Started by MacGuffin, January 08, 2003, 02:20:32 PM

sphinx

i have already caved in to the bare bones.

Victor

yeah, or maybe ill just rent it form netflix and keep it out for a year

hey maybe on the se theyll have a doc on pta's press tour, like on vanilla sky. seems like he's freaking out, id love to see that side of the movielife. they did a little of it for the magnolia dvd but i need more. I NEED TO KEEP THE FUCKING DREAM ALIVE OK DONT FUCKING TAKE THAT FROM ME MAN. I KNOW THREE TYPES OF FUCKING KARATE YOU SONY MOTHERFUCKERS.
are you gonna eat with us too?

RegularKarate

yeah... how long are we gonna have to wait?
With that Lord of the Rings shit, it was only a few months, so I just rented it to tide me over until the more gargantuan edition came out.

MacGuffin

Quote from: RegularKarateyeah... how long are we gonna have to wait?

With Sony, who knows? They still haven't announced the long rumored Special Editions of Black Hawk Down (last I heard was this June, though not officially confirmed) and Panic Room.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

I finally saw the dvd cover for PDL on greg's website, and am lost why it is being accepted as a great cover. When you put the cover to the movie, there is a complete inbalance because the posters suggests a normal movie when PDL is anything but. I think the thought into it that they wanted a poster to assume it would be a romance of the 1930s Hollywood musicals but really let them discover something else completely. In any fashion though, the cover does not work for what the movie is.

~rougerum

©brad

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI think the thought into it that they wanted a poster to assume it would be a romance of the 1930s Hollywood musicals but really let them discover something else completely. In any fashion though, the cover does not work for what the movie is.

~rougerum

Okay, first off, I think the cover is brillant. We are talking about the same color, of Barry and Lena kissing in silhouette in Hawaii? Good, thought so.

What is wrong with thinking a movie is one thing and then seeing it and getting something totally different. I think that's a good thing! What does every screnewriting class teach you- don't let the audience get ahead of you. Don't you like to be surprised or shocked during a movie? Do you want a cover to spoon-feed you what is to come throughout the film?

Duck Sauce

I think the cover is great. It reminds me of a classic romance, but I have grown tired of it. And I agree, it really doesnt match the movie but I still think it works.

Pwaybloe

I think GT is referring mostly to the marketing.  The cover does suggest that it would play like an old romantic movie, but for anyone who has seen it, the movie just can't be pigeonholed that easily.  

As consumers scan the aisles of retail and rental stores, the Average Joe is going to think PDL is an old-fashioned love story.  It appears that way on the cover, right?  You can't tell me at first view of the cover that it doesn't look like a romance.  

So... when Average Joe watches PDL and finds out it's not a pure-bred romance, he's pissed.  There's nothing like a consumer scorned, and word-of-mouth is a killing technique.  

But, with that being said, I still think it's the best way to market this film.  Romantic movies are usually successful at the box office, so why not try to work off what the public wants.  Money is money.

Victor

i believe it would be quite impossible to match a poster to this movie exactly. this movie doesnt even have the title until after the movie's over, what does that tell you? i really like the poster, but the movie is a movie, not a title or a poster or a review or a plot or anyhting but a movie. As a fella wiser than myself one said, "it is what it is." you cant match it with anyhting else.
are you gonna eat with us too?

©brad

I'm not so sure. I think the Average Joe may be surprised, but pissed? What if he liked the movie?

Yeah, the cover makes it look like a love story. No shit. It is a love story: Punch-Drunk LOVE. I am failing to see why the poster doesn't work here.

MacGuffin

Be grateful they didn't make the poster (to cater to his fan base) the picture of Sandler hauling the huge stand of pudding with the tag line: "The Waterboy has traded watering the jocks for a pudding box" or "Little Nicky has traded in his talking pup for cases of pudding cups."

cue picture by sphinx
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Duck Sauce

The bad thing about letting PTA design and influence the awesome posters is that they arent necesarily the best for marketing.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Duck SauceThe bad thing about letting PTA design and influence the awesome posters is that they arent necesarily the best for marketing.

Yeah that's what happened to it... if only P.T. had made a better poster, that movie would have made tons more.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: cbrad4dI'm not so sure. I think the Average Joe may be surprised, but pissed? What if he liked the movie?

Yeah, the cover makes it look like a love story. No shit. It is a love story: Punch-Drunk LOVE. I am failing to see why the poster doesn't work here.

Oh, c'mon.  Do you think Average Joe would like PDL?  I have a hard time finding people around here in TN that like Boogie Nights or Magnolia, and those were significantly better movies.  

I went to see PDL on opening night with about 20 other people in the theater.  6 people walked out.  After the movie, one guy yelled out, "no wonder this place is so empty!"  Everyone else (and I mean everyone, excluding me) were grumbling about how stupid and boring PDL was.  Maybe it's just my region...  If you had better success in your theater, then that's an achievement.

I never said the poster being used for the DVD wouldn't work.  I said if they are trying to market the movie as a romance, then it's perfect.  If they are trying to market the movie as a comedy, then it needs to be changed.  They're really is no niche category to put it in, but it has to marketed to the general public somehow.  So, from the looks of the cover, they're trying to market is a romance.  In the short run, I think this will work beautifully.

Duck Sauce

I heard people snickering too. Saying things like "that was terrible.." or "AWFUL, just awful.."  But no matter how much I put myself in average movie goers spot, I cannot see how it could be a bad movie. To them, it might have been too strange or just not for them, but I cant see how it is a poorly made movie.