A CHRISTMAS STORY

Started by godardian, October 03, 2003, 07:40:54 PM

godardian

...has to be my favorite Christmas movie ever. A new 2-disc special edition is being released. I've avoided buying the old disc in the past, as it's not even widescreen. This one has commentary and other extras, apparently.

In my opinion, may be Melinda Dillon's finest role ever. How can satirical comedy so gentle be so damn funny?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Gold Trumpet

I really can't watch it anymore. I don't see it as a movie. I just see it as 100 meticously thought scenes of nostaglia thought out to be the most nostlagic a scene can be and then put together because it had the same idea: christmas as a kid. Its not that I don't think its good, its just I watched it every year and its identity is so nostalgia I can't watch it anymore. Last year was the first year of not touching this movie. I just think I need a ten year break of not even thinking about this movie so I can revisit it and find it new again.

Favorite christmas movie? Die Hard.

~rougerum

Find Your Magali

I agree that it's been on TV too much and has worn out its welcome. Also, I agree on Dillon. She does a lot of funny, true work as the secondary or tertiary person in scenes and is just pitch-perfect.

She is underappreciated and underused as an actress.

On the other hand, having Close Encounters, Magnolia and A Christmas Story as the top three things on your resume ain't bad.

Gold Trumpet

Melinda Dillion was in Magnolia? Shit! I didn't know that. Now that I think about it, I'm guessing she was Jimmy Gator's wife. I liked her in the movie, but then I saw Slap Shot and her tits and the innocence I associated with her as a childhood figure of memory was gone.

~rougerum

Find Your Magali

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetMelinda Dillion was in Magnolia?

Can we establish a kangaroo court for statements like this?? For heaven's sakes, we have to have some standards around here!  :wink:

dnthmn

I always watch The Ref on Christmas, but sooner or latter I turn on TBS and see whats going on in A Christmas Story. Seems like no matter what I always turn it around the same part, all through out the 24 hours they show it.

Keep Well,
Dan

SoNowThen

Hello folks!!! National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

A fucking staple of yultide cheer over here.

Desecrated with a non-widescreen dvd. They should have an online poll about this rather than the original starwars stuff. We need Christmas Vacation on dvd proper.

"Is your house on fire, Clark?"

"No, Aunt Bethany, those are just the Christmas lights"
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Quote from: SoNowThenDesecrated with a non-widescreen dvd. They should have an online poll about this rather than the original starwars stuff. We need Christmas Vacation on dvd proper.

*stuffs SoNowThen's stocking*

Release Date October 7th:

*Theatrical trailer(s)
*Feature-Length audio commentary with Randy Quaid, Beverly D'Angelo, Johnny Galecki, Miriam Flynn, Director Jermemiah Chechik and Producer Matty Simmons
*Widescreen anamorphic format
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Oh yeah oh yeah   yeah yeah yeah

*dances the shuffle around room*

8)
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

These two and The Grinch (animated version) are my three favorite perennial classics. Although I'm expecting Elf to join their ranks.

aclockworkjj

"that there, is an RV..."

me and my folks watch that every christmas....while gettin' drunk.

godardian

Quote from: aclockworkjj"that there, is an RV..."

me and my folks watch that every christmas....while gettin' drunk.

I could never, ever get drunk with my family. *shudder*

Christmas Vacation is okay, I guess. I really, really hate Chevy Chase, though, especially after reading Live from New York. What an asshole, and not so blessed in the talent department, either!

I still say A Christmas Story is THE Christmas movie. I don't watch movies on TV, so I wouldn't know about the overexposure ruining it. I would also say it very, very assuredly balances itself between nostalgia and anti-nostalgia... there's just enough irreverence to keep it from being saccharine. It's very Simpsons-esque to me- cartoonish, satirical, but with referents to the "real" world.

I'll always watch It's A Wonderful Life, too, regardless of how hackneyed.

I also like the Claymation Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. According to my friend Allison, the high-pitched elf who wants to be a dentist is the Token Gay Elf.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Gloria

Quote from: godardianI also like the Claymation Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.

Ever seen the 'other' Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer claymations on MadTV?  I wish they would play those every year.  Those are great.

"The ho...ho...horror"

Find Your Magali

Quote from: godardianI also like the Claymation Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. According to my friend Allison, the high-pitched elf who wants to be a dentist is the Token Gay Elf.

Too funny!

"Token Gay Elf" would be a great name for a band, by the way.  :lol:

godardian

Quote from: Find Your Magali
Quote from: godardianI also like the Claymation Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. According to my friend Allison, the high-pitched elf who wants to be a dentist is the Token Gay Elf.

Too funny!

"Token Gay Elf" would be a great name for a band, by the way.  :lol:

Better than "Hoobastank," at least. Whenever I hear of that band, I actually get depressed over their awful name. :-) I have a GREAT band name for when I have a band, but it's under top-secret confidential wraps. Hint: It has something to do with filmmaking.