What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

Chest Rockwell

Scud! My brother and I used to love that.

The pop-ups are fucking amazing.

JG

can anyone recommend specific stories?

Ghostboy

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 20, 2008, 02:07:52 PM
Mmmmmm... New Chuck Palahniuk.

I was driving from Texas to LA yesterday and listened to the audio recording of this, thinking it would keep me up and at least be light and entertaining. But blechh - Phalnaiuk just ain't my thing. His writing is so gosh darn obvious.

Gold Trumpet

I'm rereading Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco.

It was the first significant novel I ever read. Did so when I was 16. I always resisted reading but got into it because Foucault's Pendulum was once going to be adapted by Stanley Kubrick. Eco and Kubrick met to discuss doing the movie but Kubrick backed away from the project once Eco insisted on total control of the screenplay. I was such a Kubrick geek that I read every novel he tried to adapt but never did. Foucault's Pendulum was my first of these readings and also my favorite.

I recommend the novel to anyone who liked that The Da Vinci Code included the Knights Templars and discussion of the occult but were salivating for something more than very basic ideas. Foucault's Pendulum is very thorough and very wild.

pete

Quote from: JG on May 31, 2008, 10:56:17 AM

can anyone recommend specific stories?

it is my favorite book

"christmas" and "sounds" are two of my favorites of all time.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

GodDamnImDaMan

Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

context, context, context.

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

pete

not half as good as I'd expected - I thought he was gonna do some crazy chomsky-esque readings into the use of language, but instead he just had these very ordinary opinions in very short essays.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

cinemanarchist

My assholeness knows no bounds.

The Perineum Falcon

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Just Withnail

Oh yes oh yes. I've just started In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower. Swann's Way might be my favorite read ever.