What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Ghostboy on November 27, 2006, 12:05:42 PM
Anna Karenina or Gravity's Rainbow? Hmmmm.
Haven't read Gravity's Rainbow, but I absolutely adore Anna Karenina. I couldn't recommend it enough.
Some day soon, I'll tackle War & Peace. :ponder:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

modage

happy birthday to me (yesterday)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

squints

Quote from: modage on November 29, 2006, 11:57:45 PM

Just bought this today. I'm glad I waited until AFTER I saw the movie.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sunrise

Just finished it last night. Dawkins would be a lot more persuasive if he wasn't so arrogant and condescending. Regardless, many parts of the book contain incredibly effective arguments. It is much less a philosophical analysis of existential issues than it is all-out onslaught against theism and anyone out there that still doesn't believe in evolution. Despite dealing with Dawkins' nose so high in the air, it was a good read.

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

last days of gerry the elephant

Damn that Deepak Chopra!

Anyways...

A Matter Of Chance

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

i find it amusing that he named the book after a mediocre band.
context, context, context.

Reinhold

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

A Confederacy of Dunces
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

JG

in my spanish class we've been reading a lot of borges.  unfortunately, i suck at spanish.  but good enough to know that i like him and want a good english translation of his best short stories, but i'm not sure which to go with.  the only requirement is that "the circular ruins" is in there cos that's my favorite so far.  can anyone help me out (and is there a better thread for this?)?

last days of gerry the elephant

I'm trying to savor The Book of Disquiet, so I picked this one up this morning and finished it in a sitting (well it was a slow slow day at work).

Highly recommended, a fun and witty insight into modern pop culture.

context, context, context.

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.