What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

godardian

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

The Perineum Falcon

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

I have GOT to get the Vachon book....

I'm accidentally on a bit of a "queer theory" kick of late, it seems (I was assigned this one to review, but I found it impressive that it's been republished by the New York Review of Books Classics imprint, which to me is a mark of quality):

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

matt35mm

Quote from: modage on September 11, 2006, 09:08:32 PM

Moi aussi, in preparation for Ms. Vachon's visit to San Francisco.

squints

these used to scare the shit out me as a kid. i dug them out of a box a couple of nights ago.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

polkablues

Quote from: squints on September 14, 2006, 11:41:15 AM

these used to scare the shit out me as a kid. i dug them out of a box a couple of nights ago.

Dude.  I loved those books.  The illustrations gave me years worth of nightmares.
My house, my rules, my coffee

xerxes

wow, i think i need to go find my copy now. wasn't there another one also?

polkablues

Quote from: xerxes on September 14, 2006, 03:57:39 PM
wow, i think i need to go find my copy now. wasn't there another one also?

There were a bunch.  I had at least three when I was a kid.
My house, my rules, my coffee

The Perineum Falcon

I remember the story of the litle black dog being my favorite.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

squints

I'm trying to find a picture of it without having to scan it, but my favorite is the one where a spider lays eggs on this girl's face, she thinks its an infected blister and the picture is of them hatching all over her face (the girl looks like shelley duvall with severe addiction to crystal meth)
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

children with angels

Quote from: godardian on September 09, 2006, 11:54:06 PM

This is a bit late, but I just wanted to take this chance to make you jealous, Godardian, by telling you that I was taught by Richard Dyer and got to know him quite well at Warwick University. He was the warmest, most charming guy - quite an achievement considering the intellectual heavyweight he also is: too many good academics I've encountered are offputtingly cold and superior. By way of a Christmas card before one vacation he casually put on a clip of Judy Garland singing 'Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas' as we were leaving. He's a sweetie.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Ravi

Chest Rockwell

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks