Phantom Thread

Started by wilder, June 02, 2016, 08:21:51 PM

wilberfan

martinthewarrior

wilberfan

Quote from: KUBRICK WITH TWO BRICKS on October 23, 2017, 10:09:12 AM
Already read a couple of tweets calling this film "problematic" just from the trailer.

Did these people ever take into consideration that the age difference might be crucial to the plot?

Exactly.  And the (suggestion?) he might be closeted...

modage

Quote from: wilberfan on October 23, 2017, 10:04:18 AM
Thought this was an interesting reaction. 

https://twitter.com/luv_2read/status/922476086344105985

I haven't watched the trailer yet but don't be surprised when PTA gets run through the 2017 Woke Filter.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

wilberfan

The reaction to the trailer just now from a female friend of mine who tolerates my PTA-obsessiveness:  "I'd go see that movie..."

martinthewarrior

Quote from: KUBRICK WITH TWO BRICKS on October 23, 2017, 10:09:12 AM
Already read a couple of tweets calling this film "problematic" just from the trailer.

Did these people ever take into consideration that the age difference might be crucial to the plot?

no, because these people are boring.

modage

Update: Watched the trailer. PTA enters his Merchant Ivory phase?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

martinthewarrior

Quote from: modage on October 23, 2017, 10:17:36 AM

A thought I had. God, I hope not.

wilberfan

Quote from: Kubrick With Two Bricks on October 23, 2017, 10:18:37 AM

I haven't watched the trailer yet but don't be surprised when PTA gets run through the 2017 Woke Filter.

Fucking agree. Don't mean to sound like a pretentious gatekeeper on all things PTA but it's just sad that he has to exist and make movies in the current media landscape. Also, I'm stealing the phrase "woke filter".

LOL. I immediately thought of the shitstorm that "Life of Brian" created with conservatives (and others) who (of course) hadn't seen the film.

wilberfan

Lest we forget that Editing is All, an exchange I had this morning with @TheLollipopking who had seen a "test" trailer a month or so ago: 

QuoteWoah!! This is not the trailer I saw at all!

The middle has a lot of shots I recognize & feels familar, but the entire tone is totally different.

When I compared it to something like Carol....the one I saw had a lot more Christmas scenes, where she's wearing the red gown.

The scenes in the beginning and the end don't look familar at all.

The moment where she asks why he's never been married had a completely different feel.

The way they framed that scene in the trailer I saw, I thought she was an assistant who was very infatuated with him, and was too naive...

To realize he was gay and still in the closet.

This trailer shows much more of an actual relationship, rather than a mentor/pupil relationship the one I saw implied.

Yeah, I think I mentioned it before, but I thought it was an unrequited love scenario. She being infatuated, but DDL merely having affection

[edit] It will be interesting to see how "accurate" this trailer is.  How revealing of the nuances, story, etc are in the actual finished edit.  This might be pure marketing?  Specifically, for example, to get non-PTA-fanboy butts in theater seats?

Lottery

Obviously I don't know the contents of the film but this looks positively mild in comparison to...almost everything he's made before. If folks are looking for 'problematic', they have a rich 20 year career they can explore.
I'd like to think that PTA's stuff is (generally) about people with issues, in rough spots and observing them without judgement.

Quote from: modage on October 23, 2017, 10:17:36 AM
Ha!

Gold Trumpet

Looks good. Anderson seems back to being relaxed in camera movement for casual scenes. Seems like he is combining slower paced tone of his recent historical films with techniques that flooded his early films. I doubt he ever makes a film that tries to be Magnolia or Boogie Nights again, but I think that's a good thing too.

wilberfan

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on October 23, 2017, 10:41:18 AM
I doubt he ever makes a film that tries to be Magnolia or Boogie Nights again, but I think that's a good thing too.

I doubt it, too--but I'd love to see a late-career return to that kind of youthful energy.  Just to prove he could still pull it off.

Fernando

I love the trailer although it showed too much for my taste, I kind of expected a trailer in the fashion of EWS.

Anyway, my anticipation for this movie has skyrocketed.

That poster is so bland tbh.

Quote from: wilberfan on October 23, 2017, 10:04:18 AM
Thought this was an interesting reaction. 

https://twitter.com/luv_2read/status/922476086344105985

I hear her but that is the reality of that world.

budwillies

So when do you think it will be shown to critics? Late November? Do you think this will make any festivals?