The Forgotten

Started by ProgWRX, August 05, 2004, 01:45:25 PM

ProgWRX

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/the_forgotten

What do you think?
I like the concept, and love Julianne Moore, so it looks promising.
-Carlos

MacGuffin

Release Date: September 24th, 2004 (wide)

Cast: Julianne Moore (Telly Paretta), Dominic West, Gary Sinise, Anthony Edwards, Linus Roache, Alfre Woodard.

Director: Joseph Ruben (Return to Paradise, The Good Son, Dreamscape, Money Train, True Believer)

Screenwriter: Gerald Di Pego (Instinct, Phenomenon, Angel Eyes, Sharky's Machine, Message in a Bottle)

Premise: A single mother, Telly Paretta (Moore), whose 8-year-old son has recently disappeared during an airplane crash (and whom she fears might be dead), seeks the help of a psychiatrist (Sinise) to cope with the pain of her grief, only to be told that her son is merely a figment of her imagination, with her mind making up eight years of false memories. When she meets a father (West) who has had another similar experience with his own disappearing daughter recently, the two team up to try to find the answers behind what appears to be some sort of otherworldly case of mass kidnapping (by aliens? or... something else).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Finn

It looks like it be interesting. I think the trailer will probably end up giving away too much. But I'll see it because of Julianne Moore.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

meatball

The movie was like an X-Files special.

What surprised me was Dominic West, who plays opposite Julianne Moore. He was great.

RegularKarate

No no no... this was NOT like an X-Files special... this was far worse than any X-Files episode.

This movie is mind-boggling.  I do NOT understand how a screenplay this horribly terribly pathetically bad could ever get greenlit and then get Julianne Moore's interest.

This movie is like a bad Lifetime Network movie.  It's MST3K bad.

The only thing this movie had going for it was a "WTF" moment that was spoiled by the trailer.

This movie was all plot and no meat and the plot was so terrible.  The only things that kept me from walking out were Julianne, the knowledge that it was short, and curiosity.

laughably bad... I really regret seeing this thing.

meatball

Well, I never said I enjoyed X-Files episodes.

But, yea they tried to pull off the "WTF" moment a second time and it just didn't work because the "WTF" factor had been drained from the first try.

Finn

totally agreement though about Dominic West. He was really great. Some of the other supporting actors were terrible.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

grand theft sparrow

Can someone PM me a brief, spoiler-filled explanation of this movie?  Outside of it starring Julianne Moore, I have no desire whatsoever to see it but I know some of the twist (who is doing it) and I'm curious to know why... but not curious enough to pay $10.  I don't do this too often, just when it comes to movies with potential for bad twist endings.  In this case, I'm definitely doing it because I refuse to see any films written by Gerald DiPego after being subjected to the crime against humanity known as Angel Eyes.

Thrindle

Quote from: hacksparrowCan someone PM me a brief, spoiler-filled explanation of this movie?  Outside of it starring Julianne Moore, I have no desire whatsoever to see it but I know some of the twist (who is doing it) and I'm curious to know why... but not curious enough to pay $10.  I don't do this too often, just when it comes to movies with potential for bad twist endings.  In this case, I'm definitely doing it because I refuse to see any films written by Gerald DiPego after being subjected to the crime against humanity known as Angel Eyes.
I love this post.  I made GT spoil it for me as well.
Classic.

pete

if GT didn't PM you, at least the Ebert review gives away a little bit of here and there.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/wkp-news-forgotten24f.html
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

just ask themodernage to make an avatar of it.
under the paving stones.