Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle

Started by Fishbulb, April 23, 2004, 11:55:26 AM

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: peteit was funny and all, but one thing I really didn't like about the film was how homophobic it was.

I'm not kidding when I ask this question: What homophobic jokes were in the movie? And no, I wasn't high when I saw it.  Outside of a couple of VERY subtle jokes with the two Jewish neighbors and the racist assholes making fun of them, I really don't remember anything that could be construed as offensive, definitely not in relation to other comedies of recent years, the Scary Movies for example.

ProgWRX

the only other one i could think of was when harold passed out and kumar started doing "gay" things to wake him up...

all in all, i went in there with low expectations, hoping to "escape" a long day at work, and laughed my ass off. (and im not even a stoner!)
-Carlos

pete

I said they were homophobic; I wasn't personally offended.  the jokes were subtle, but they were still homophobic.  the punchlines come from the discomfort towards the same sex being to close or whatever, and I think that comes from the writers' needs to oversexualize the two characters ('cause wanting to score chicks alone wasn't enough, they must also NOT want to touch dudes).
this is not some kind of PC tirade against stereotypes or whatever, this is an observation on how the writers sexualize the two main characters.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ProgWRX

i get what you say, but i thought it was fairly accurate in how it depicted those type of friendships...
-Carlos

pete

accurate or not, still homophobic right?
- Buster Keaton

ProgWRX

-Carlos

grand theft sparrow

Well, I guess so but passive homophobia, like passive racism, is just a given in the teen/stoner comedy. Sometimes it's played properly; most of the time it isn't.  Considering how much more reserved and less mean-spirited the gay jokes were in H&K than in any number of movies that have come out in recent years, I found it odd that you even called the movie out for it. That's why I asked.

pete

I called this one out because I thought the sexual politics in this film is actually a little bit more calculated than an average teen movie, that the writers worked up the sexual aspects of the movie in order to combat the stereotypes of the Asian male.
- Buster Keaton

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: petestereotypes of the Asian male.

:| .............???.............what are the steroetypes of the Asian males.......the ones that i meet all have good healt/manners and have nice jobs make lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, and drive cars that i can only drive if i play gran turismo on ps2....???.........

Pubrick

please, don't get pete started on the asians.
under the paving stones.

pete

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
Quote from: petestereotypes of the Asian male.

:| .............???.............what are the steroetypes of the Asian males.......the ones that i meet all have good healt/manners and have nice jobs make lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, and drive cars that i can only drive if i play gran turismo on ps2....???.........

de-sexualized, de-fanged model citizens?
- Buster Keaton

bonanzataz

i thought it was pretty funny. it passed the time...
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

New Line has officially announced the DVD release of Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle for 1/4/05. Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle (SRP $27.95) will be available in separate R-rated and Extreme Unrated versions. Both will be anamorphic widescreen with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Extras on the R-rated version will include deleted/alternate scenes, 4 interview/production featurettes, audio commentary with director Danny Leiner and actors John Cho and Kal Penn, another commentary with writers Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg, the theatrical trailer and a DVD-ROM script-to-screen option. The Extreme Unrated version will include these extras plus "extreme" outtakes, a bonus "extreme" commentary by Danny Bouchard and All Too Much's Yeah music video.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

diggler

the whole "unrated" dvd thing is such a sham. i just picked up the girl next door "unrated" dvd and didn't notice any difference to the theatrical version.  impressionable dvd buyers see the words "unrated" on a dvd and immediately assume it means and increased tit-factor.  instead, they get more footage of jason biggs himping a pie(a la the american pie "unrated dvd")if anyone knows what differences there were in the girl next door dvd tell me. i must've blinked at the wrong time or something.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

MacGuffin

Quote from: ddiggler6280if anyone knows what differences there were in the girl next door dvd tell me.

DVD features from Amazon.com
The unrated director's cut of The Girl Next Door delivers about half a minute of extra nudity and sexual footage. Without adding anything to the running time of the R-rated theatrical cut, the unrated edition substitutes steamier footage into the film Eli watches while talking to Matt, and removes some digitized bikinis in part of the strip-club scene. (The new cut also has a more threatening scene between Matt and Kelly.) Don't expect to see more of star Elisha Cuthbert, though; she didn't do any nude scenes, as she explains in one of the five scenes she provides commentary for.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks