Johnny Depp is the best pirate ever.

Started by Ghostboy, July 09, 2003, 01:34:57 AM

budgie

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI knew it.

Haha, and I knew you knew it.

QuoteIt's either that I'm not in college mode, or that I'm too annoyed by retreads to find something like that in a movie like this. And I could probably never enjoy this movie for what it is, cause I'm suspicious of its intentions.

That makes me sigh. What exactly do you think its intentions are? Come on, make me say 'I knew it'.

RK loved the movie... I knew it.

Burton wants Depp for Wonka... I knew it.

I'm just too good.

Pubrick

Quote from: budgieI'm just too good.
got that right. hav u got nothing to say about my american splendor review?
under the paving stones.

budgie

Quote from: P

{chuckle}

Feeling comfortable now?

Pozer

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: budgieI would by no means call it a parody, and if it were only that I wouldn't have enjoyed it. What I like is when a film reworks genre and constantly slips between memories of other films/cultural references (eg. Depp as Keith Richards, MacGuffin's memories of the ride) and new sensations. It reworks you, if you let it. I don't think that's a trivial or 'shallow' effect, I think it's pretty deep, and isn't it the effect of all films, whatever style? I think Pirates does this excellently, with total conviction and gusto (same reason I like Goldmember) and a real barrage of information. I like it for the same reason everyone is raving about Johnny Depp: it doesn't quite fit.

I knew it.

It's either that I'm not in college mode, or that I'm too annoyed by retreads to find something like that in a movie like this. And I could probably never enjoy this movie for what it is, cause I'm suspicious of its intentions.

dude, it's an entertaining movie, Johnny makes you smile and laugh every single shot he's in, nuff said
if that doesn't appeal to you, then yes, you will never enjoy it or be happy in life

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: poserif that doesn't appeal to you, then yes, you will never enjoy it or be happy in life

:yabbse-cry:

atticus jones

Quote from: budgie
Quote from: P

{chuckle}

Feeling comfortable now?

how bout this kitten...i will split yo pink meats and run deep till the poo nanny falls asleep...i have watch ed u frum a far and am now ready to drive mamas car...dont dis appoint me or i wheel 211 yo british ass and crack dawg in the bun...

my devotion plays lyke the ocean and this full moon is the ruin of hi tide...

wanna manyon in the canyon?

wanna play ball with paul?

touch em all...strip down for the army crawl

dirty knees please
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

modage

Just announced from Buena Vista Home Entertainment is a December 2nd street date for Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. The second biggest hit of the year, this two-disc set comes complete with a 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround track, three audio commentaries with director Gore Verbinski and star Johnny Depp, producer Jerry Bruckheimer and stars Keira Knightley and Jack Davenport, and writers Stuart Beattie, Ted Elliot & Terry Rossio and Jay Wolpert, the "An Epic At Sea: The Making of Pirates of the Caribbean" documentary, deleted scenes,a "Moonlight" scene progression, blooper reel, "Below Deck: An Interactive History Of Pirates" notes and a still gallery . Retail is $29.95.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

***beady***

Yay, well, I'm definetly going to buying it, when it comes to the uk!

MacGuffin

Johnny Depp Likens U.S. to 'Dumb Puppy'

BERLIN (AP) - Actor Johnny Depp likened the United States to a "dumb puppy that has big teeth'' in an interview published Wednesday, ridiculing Washington's confrontation with France, where he lives, over the war in Iraq.

The "Pirates of the Caribbean'' star - who spends much of his time in the south of France with his companion, Vanessa Paradis, and their two children - told the German magazine Stern he couldn't see himself paying more than short visits to his Los Angeles residence in the present political climate.

"America is dumb, is something like a dumb puppy that has big teeth - that can bite and hurt you, aggressive,'' Depp was quoted as saying.

Depp recalled that French fries were renamed "Freedom fries'' in the House cafeteria on Capitol Hill at the height of U.S. anger over France's refusal to back the administration of President Bush over the war in Iraq.

"Nothing made me happier than when I read that - grown men and grown women in positions of power in the United States government,'' Depp said. "I was ecstatic because they revealed themselves as idiots.''

Depp said he wanted his two children, ages 1 and 4, to experience the United States "like it's a kind a toy - a broken toy maybe. Investigate a little bit, check it out, get this feeling and then get out.''
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

budgie

Quote from: mehow bout this kitten...i will split yo pink meats and run deep till the poo nanny falls asleep...i have watch ed u frum a far and am now ready to drive mamas car...dont dis appoint me or i wheel 211 yo british ass and crack dawg in the bun...

my devotion plays lyke the ocean and this full moon is the ruin of hi tide...

wanna manyon in the canyon?

wanna play ball with paul?

touch em all...strip down for the army crawl

dirty knees please

It had to be August.

Playing ball with Paul was last year's dream, and full of rocks.

***beady***

Well, I still wouldn't say no to Johnny Depp.

I'm going to say my opinion on what he has said there though. I would probably get my head kicked in. . .

MacGuffin

Depp Says Comments Were Not Anti-U.S.    

LOS ANGELES - Johnny Depp said he intended no "anti-American sentiment" in comparing the nation to a dumb puppy and blamed news reports for misrepresenting his opinions.

Depp, star of the summer hit movie "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl," apologized in a statement to those "who were offended, affected or hurt by this insanely twisted deformation of my words and intent." Stern, the German magazine that interviewed the actor, stood by its story.

Depp was quoted as saying that "America is dumb, is something like a dumb puppy that has big teeth - that can bite and hurt you, aggressive."

In a statement Thursday, the 40-year-old actor complained that "the inaccurate and out of context misquote" was "virulently spreading in the news."

"Taken in context, what I was saying was that, compared to Europe, America is a very young country and we are still growing as a nation. It is a shame that the metaphor I used was taken so radically out of context and slung about irresponsibly by the news media," Depp said.

"There was no anti-American sentiment. In fact, it was just the opposite," he said. "I am an American. I love my country and have great hopes for it. It is for this reason that I speak candidly and sometimes critically about it. I have benefited greatly from the freedom that exists in my country and for this I am eternally grateful."

Stern magazine news editor Hans-Peter Junker said Friday that Depp's quotes were "not taken out of context."

"Stern regrets that Johnny Depp is being criticized for his outspoken remarks in his homeland," Junker said. "Stern stands by its account."

Depp spends much of his time in the south of France with his companion, Vanessa Paradis, and their two children. According to the Stern article, Depp said he couldn't see himself paying more than short visits to his Los Angeles residence in the present political climate.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Any stories about people lashing out at Depp? I don't think he should have backed down. Disappointing.

***beady***

Ha ha, thats what I was going to say, but I didn't want to start something....
I like the French. But I have reason.

Damn, hes really 40 years old?

©brad

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanAny stories about people lashing out at Depp? I don't think he should have backed down. Disappointing.

yea i haven't heard anything either. no one seems to know about it.