elliott smith

Started by modage, May 08, 2003, 05:34:37 PM

Pozer

Pubrick

Scribbling XO on a t shirt would've been wiser.
under the paving stones.

Robyn

Quote from: tpfkabi on April 17, 2012, 08:27:31 PM
Just wondering the other day if they are ever going to release a New Moon type comp for the stuff after 1997.

Yeah, they probably will at some point. Kill Rock Stars is sitting on alot of unreleased (and leaked) songs and they would just be stupid if they never released them. Have you listened to the Grand Mal: Studio Rarities? If don't, do it! It's a great compilation.

Quote from: Pubrick on April 17, 2012, 11:10:51 PM
Scribbling XO on a t shirt would've been wiser.

Yeah, but i'm not very wise am i?

72teeth

i like those tats man,  nice tribute...

and if you grow to regret 'em, know that your in good(?) company... i tattooed 'dwp' on my ankle one drunknite "cuz i was badass, maaan!" I thought it was cool til I tried to impress a girl woman with it and only got her shitty-face in return.
Then i hated it and considered it a huge mistake. But now, i love it and see it as a token from a youth-mentality ill (hopefully/sadly) never return too. It's almost like graffiti from a past life saying "That's right, MAAAN, i did this shit, ME was here!" It's like young me can flip me off for growing up every time I look at my ankle.
Silly ankle. Silly Me. Miss you young me...

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

wilder

Blu-ray of the documentary Elliot Smith: Heaven Adores You on July 16, 2015

modage

Huge Elliott Smith fan but "Heaven Adores You" is pretty bad, which is a shame because they have a good number of interviews with close friends and collaborators and it's all competently shot and assembled (never looks cheap like some docs) but narratively it really misses the mark. If you took out the shots of landscapes and ambient music, you could literally cut the running time in half. The film's biggest problem is it just feels so padded out. Make a 40 min film, no need to add an extra hour of nonsense. The other problem is the interviews just don't seem to know what they're going for, letting non-answers stay in the film, refusing to probe subjects for answers and information that might enlighten. The film never touches on Elliott's abuse by his step-father, his girlfriend at the time of his death (who was suspected of potentially killing him) and stays extremely vague on his drug problems in general. It's like the filmmakers wanted to make a documentary about him while also respecting his privacy? Which a decade+ on from his death, is really sort of worthless. This is unfortunately the anti-"Montage Of Heck."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

mogwai

Montage of Heck sucked donkey ass.

modage

Quote from: mogwai on July 01, 2015, 12:42:06 PM
Montage of Heck sucked donkey ass.
But what if it didn't?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

mogwai

There are better documentaries than that pile of shit. Have you seen the "About a son" doc or read "Come as you are"?

And I'm all behind Buzz Osborne's recent comment about the "Montage" doc. Google it, son.

modage

No and no but I read the Buzz stuff and it didn't bother me at all. Regardless of whether those stories are true, Kurt still told them and I appreciated Montage Of Heck as an impressionistic portrait more than straightforward rock doc.