top ten 1999

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 27, 2003, 08:59:55 AM

modage

As mentioned, it's the 10 Year Anniversary.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Werd. During the course of the next few months, we should all re-watch some of the movies from our collective favorite year and see how they hold up.

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Kal

Quote from: Stefen on January 28, 2009, 02:58:34 PM
Werd. During the course of the next few months, we should all re-watch some of the movies from our collective favorite year and see how they hold up.

Yeah, Stefen you should start with American Pie, Deuce Bigalow ans Runaway Bride  :inlove:

Stefen

Do you ever get tired of hanging off of my nuts? Stop following me around.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

SiliasRuby

I don't stefen....but you don't mind.....And also, let me just say this...I was dissapointed in Richard Gere, 'Runaway bride' nearly cost him his career. Thats right bitches, I like to rhyme.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Pas

Quote from: SiliasRuby on January 28, 2009, 03:40:10 PM
I don't stefen....but you don't mind.....And also, let me just say this...I was dissapointed in Richard Gere, 'Runaway bride' nearly cost him his career. Thats right bitches, I like to rhyme.

say what ?

Stefen

Hey you guys, you know what an underrated 1999 movie is?

Pushing Tin. I remember it being awesome. Has anyone seen it recently?

socketlevel

it is interesting to go back to these movies ten years later and see which stand up.

sadly, i think magnolia as beautiful as it is doesn't stand up to what i originally thought, i just got finished watching it.  it's kinda sloppy.  when i first saw it i gave it an easy 10/10, stating that it was my favorite of his movies.  now i think it's one of my least favorites with a solid 8/10.  i think boogie nights and there will be blood are far superior.

the four movies that i think still stand up are toy story 2, eyes wide shut, the limey, and being john malchovich.  with special note to BJM, i would say is not only the best of the year but firmly a contender for the decades' best film.
the one last hit that spent you...

Stefen

Fucking aye on the BJM love. That movie is easily one of the best of the decade and holds up well over time. Another one is All About My Mother.

Myxo

Let's revisit this thread.

Are we still happy with our top ten list now that we're a little older? (Seriously.) Or does your best movies of the 90s list look different now? Maybe you've gone back and seen something which WAS on your list and don't love it quite as much anymore. Or you've seen something else since and gained a greater appreciation for it. I know I've seen Eyes Wide Shut since and it would make my list now but wouldn't have in 2000.

Jeremy Blackman

Not embarrassed by the top of my list, but as you go down it definitely gets sketchy. For example, Run Lola Run doesn't hold the same place in my heart. I barely remember The Red Violin.

I need to rewatch a few, like The Limey (which I remember having one of the best opening songs ever), but I think this is about right...

1. Magnolia
2. Eyes Wide Shut
3. Being John Malkovich
4. Titus
5. Fight Club
6. All About My Mother
7. The Straight Story
8. The Blair Witch Project
9. Princess Mononoke
10. Three Kings

Fuzzy Dunlop

I don't have an old list to compare it to, but I think I feel pretty much the same now as I did then. 1999 was the best year for movies ever and I could have easily made this a top 20. I'd like to teach a film theory class exclusively about this year.

1. Magnolia
2. Three Kings
3. Fight Club
4. The Matrix
5. Eyes Wide Shut
6. Being John Malkovich
7. Bringing Out The Dead
8. The Insider
9. Any Given Sunday
10. Go

RegularKarate

I can't believe I never posted a list here. Such a good year.

Okay, my list is definitely different than it would have been sixteen years ago:

1. Magnolia
2. Eyes Wide Shut
3. Fight Club
4. The Insider
5. The Iron Giant
6. The Matrix
7. Being John Malkovich
8. Election
9. The Talented Mr. Ripley
10. Galaxy Quest

polkablues

Quote from: polkablues on January 28, 2003, 05:57:42 PM
I miss 1999... so many good movies. 

Magnolia
Fight Club
Waking the Dead
Three Kings
The Limey
Dreamlife of Angels
The End of the Affair
Go
American Beauty
The Million Dollar Hotel  (might've been 2000)

I stand by everything on this list, including the fact that Million Dollar Hotel might have been 2000.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Lottery

1. The Matrix
2. Toy Story 2
3. The Mummy
4. My Neighbors the Yamadas
5. Fight Club
6. Ame Agaru
7. Magnolia
8. Being John Malkovich
9. The Iron Giant
10. The Insider

Eyes Wide Shut just misses out today.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on October 11, 2016, 04:37:05 PM
9. Princess Mononoke

I consider this a 97 film. I did notice it on Ebert's 99 list. American releases and all. Otherwise, this would be right near the top.