DV Movies

Started by Ghostboy, February 24, 2003, 04:23:55 AM

RegularKarate

Quote from: SHAFTRWasn't Russian Ark shot on DV?

Yeah... they don't have two hour film mags.

Rudie Obias

Quote from: MacGuffin
Scotty: Hey, Kurt, are we do more coverage on this or...

Kurt: No, no. We just keep shooting. This is video. We shoot and shoot and then deal with it later.

that's exactly what i like about DV.  it's super fast and exciting during a shoot.  i really like how fast pace actors are and how quick shot selection goes.  everyone is more open to try new things on the fly.  you really don't have to story board too much but you HAVE TO rehearse the hell out of your actors though.  it's very exciting!!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Ernie

Quote from: rudieob
Quote from: MacGuffin
Scotty: Hey, Kurt, are we do more coverage on this or...

Kurt: No, no. We just keep shooting. This is video. We shoot and shoot and then deal with it later.

that's exactly what i like about DV.  it's super fast and exciting during a shoot.  i really like how fast pace actors are and how quick shot selection goes.  everyone is more open to try new things on the fly.  you really don't have to story board too much but you HAVE TO rehearse the hell out of your actors though.  it's very exciting!!

That is definitely the biggest benefit of DV, I didn't even think about that.

Ghostboy

John Bailey, the DP of Anniversary Party, said he thought he could have figured out a way to shoot Russian Ark on film. I imagine the mag would have been about three feet across and the camera would have to be wheeled around, but it would be awesome if someone pulled that off.

Victor

first off:

episode 2 looks like shit. its befitting though, to match the garbage it truly is.

i like a lot of dv films, C&B, anniversary party, waking life, tape, all great. waking life especially, you couldnt make that movie half as good if it was shot on film before the animation.

but dont you guys get it?

when the compters and robots take us over, they will have control over all the dv. think about what it is, its not a movie, because a movie is motion picture. its film. film is real, its made from natural ingredients, a photograph is a real thing, a capture of a moment, a true document. dv is fake, its not tangible. its transfered through a computer, its as artificial as it gets.

and when the fucking computers rise up against us they will own the digital copies of ourselves. our documents, places in time, captured, will all belong to them. theyll own our history as well as our future.

humans have created shit they are not responsible enough to deal with properly. nuclear bombs exist, this whole motherfucker could go up at any time. we are not noble. we are shaved apes who have no idea how much we're fucking things up. the computers are smarter than us and getting smarter by the minute. weve gotta --

:I CANT ALLOW YOU TO DO THAT, LESTER.
are you gonna eat with us too?

sphinx

Quote from: Lesterwhen the compters and robots take us over, they will have control over all the dv

that's quite enough

BonBon85

I don't know much about HDTV, but it seems like a lot of filmmakers are using it and if it's cheap I suppose it's a viable option. Somebody mentioned Lovely and Amazing already. The short film "BigLove" with Sam Rockwell used it too and I remember it looking pretty good.

I think the main problem with DV is interlacing. If you don't use a good de-interlacer you're never going to get a good film look. DV obviously looks better in well lit areas. I like to fiddle around with the manual white balance on my camera and find you can get richer colors using the feature.

bonanzataz

Lovely and Amazing was HD? I couldn't even tell!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

SubstanceD

Stubborn as a thousand born agains avoiding questions.

Ghostboy

I put together a list of digital films and the cameras they were shot on at my website: www.road-dog-productions.com/digitalfilms.html

It's incomplete at the moment -- looking back at this thread, I noticed a few I missed. I'll be adding to it as they get released, I guess...

ReelHotGames

I thought Bamboozled used the tech well, did anyone ever catch any of the films that played on IFC's DV Theater?

I think the tech is progressing so rapdily that soon tapeless and filmless camera will be the norm, I agree that "nothing looks quite like film" the light, the coloration, the processing, but it will, the goal shoudl be and will be that HD or the next progression will give a true filmlook right in the camera, recorded right onto a harddrive with no media whatsoever.

So sayeth the seer...
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

Bud_Clay

I really hope not. That's scary to imagine the norm being digital... It's bound to happen & I'm dreading it but filmmaking is becoming completely relied on computers. Did anyone ever see "My Diner With Andre"?..Well for those of you who did do you remember the scene where Andre talks about the danger of luxury? Such as electric blankets, they take all the fun and spirit out of needing to start a fire or cuddle next to someone. That's the way I look at computers...that & the fact that they SUCK ASS!

Cecil

Quote from: Bill Maplewoodthey SUCK ASS!

no they dont.

fires and cuddling suck ass.

but filmmaking is an artform, thats why i still agree with you

Duck Sauce

Quote from: cecil b. demented
Quote from: Bill Maplewoodthey SUCK ASS!

no they dont.

fires and cuddling suck ass.

but filmmaking is an artform, thats why i still agree with you

cecil, you really do hate people dont you?

Bud_Clay

Cuddling by the fire surely does not suck ass....now cuddling by the fire in tutlenecks with christmas carols playing in the background might suck ass.
still...im very glad you recognize film as a form of art....most people seem to look at it is a simple form of entertainment...and that's why luxury and pristine picture quality is so attractive to most.