future of indie filmmaking

Started by Witkacy, November 07, 2003, 05:36:41 PM

meatball

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickI only use "DV filmmaking" (an oxymoron, by the way) to showcase my writing and directing skills... for real projects, i'd only work with film... anyways, the same rules apply to a DV shoot as to a film shoot... get good actors, get a good crew, have a great story, etc etc.

For these said "real" projects, would you only shoot on 35mm with professional actors and a card carrying DP?

lol.

sorry but this made me laugh.

i'm currently enrolled in a course on digital video. it's interesting. so.. uhh... i suppose i have some input if there's any more questions.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickI only use "DV filmmaking" (an oxymoron, by the way) to showcase my writing and directing skills... for real projects, i'd only work with film... anyways, the same rules apply to a DV shoot as to a film shoot... get good actors, get a good crew, have a great story, etc etc.

For these said "real" projects, would you only shoot on 35mm with professional actors and a card carrying DP?

Of course... that's the only way to fly... to me, DV is play stuff... what you use when you don't have enough dough to use the real thing... DV and I have had many issues over the years... its a love/hate relationship... mostly hate, sometimes love...

Keep in mind i'm only talking about movies here... for TV, you can use pretty much anything you want... without DV we wouldn't have reality TV... that's one of the sides of DV I hate!

meatball

well, i'm speaking from the other side of the coin because i'm using DV every day. i only see it as a different paint for the painter, like acrylics and oils. DV has its flaws where film has its strengths, but it also has its strengths where film has its flaws. DV will definitely make it easier and less time consuming than film, less costly, and eventually DV will reach the visual quality that film has.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: meatballeventually DV will reach the visual quality that film has.

You're obviously talking about digital video in general here, not "DV"... "DV" is the crappy digital video format that is used by all consumer digital camcorders and "pro-sumer" camcorders... the 720x480 shit... digital video encompasses everything from crappy DV all the way to HiDef, 1080i, 24p, etc, etc... sure, digital video will get better, but DV will always be the shit we kids play with cuz we can't afford anything better...

RegularKarate

What do you think DV stands for?

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: RegularKarateWhat do you think DV stands for?

DV is technically a format... you don't call Digital Betacam "DV"... pros will look at you and say "ameatur"...  there's mini-DV (the little common tapes), then there's DVC (the bigger tapes), then everything else is digital video... not to be used with the acronym "DV"

RegularKarate

DV is a format, but it also means the realm of Digital Video, which refers to all digital formats, including HD.

I get a magazine called "DV"... this magazine has articles about HD, Mini-DV, Digi-Beta, etc... There are plenty of industry professionals featured in this magazine.  People who are not "ameaturs"

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

godardian

Quote from: Phaha now that's a good burn.

Is it a good zinger, though? I hear it's flat-out war between burns and zingers.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pubrick

Quote from: godardianIs it a good zinger, though? I hear it's flat-out war between burns and zingers.
yes. the beauty is he included a zinger at the end, to finish the burn. very well done.
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

Thank you, thank you very much...

(btw, I liked that SNL skit, funny)

MacGuffin

Breaking in from 'Edge of Outside'
TCM premieres a documentary that pays tribute to independent filmmakers, whose work is featured this month.
By Susan King, Los Angeles Times

The life of an independent filmmaker has never been easy. During the silent era, studio bosses would send out marksmen to shoot out the cameras of independent directors. The filmmakers quickly got wise and wrapped their cameras in blankets.

Orson Welles spent most of his life trying to obtain funding for his films. Robert Townsend maxed out his credit cards to make "Hollywood Shuffle." John Cassavetes was on the verge of halting production on his masterpiece, "A Woman Under the Influence," to take an acting job so he could get the money to finish the film — his star Peter Falk put up the money so Cassavetes could continue uninterrupted.

Despite the hardships indie filmmakers have endured over the decades, they continue to bring their visions to the screen. This year's best picture Academy Award nominees were dominated by indie films, with "Crash" winning and "Brokeback Mountain" picking up two major Oscars, for best director and adapted screenplay.

"Edge of Outside," a new documentary that explores the spirit, maverick attitude and sheer pluck of independent filmmakers, premieres tonight on Turner Classic Movies. Directed and produced by Shannon Davis, "Edge of Outside" doesn't actually cover new ground when it comes to the history of the indie film movement in America but features revealing interviews with such iconoclastic filmmakers as Martin Scorsese, Edward Burns, Spike Lee, John Sayles, Arthur Penn and Darren Aronofsky.

The documentary also includes interviews with film critics and historians as well as producers, cinematographers and friends of such legendary indie directors as Welles, Stanley Kubrick, Nicholas Ray, Sam Fuller, Sam Peckinpah and Cassavetes.

"Edge of Outside" kicks off TCM's monthlong salute to independent filmmakers. Three films by Cassavetes follow the documentary; 1968's landmark film "Faces," which brought Oscar nominations for Cassavetes for his screenplay and supporting nominations for Seymour Cassel and Lynn Carlin; 1963's underrated "A Child Is Waiting," which Cassavetes made for producer Stanley Kramer; and 1974's classic "A Woman Under the Influence," for which Cassavetes' wife, Gena Rowlands, received a best actress nomination.

On July 12, TCM will screen Charlie Chaplin's 1923 drama "A Woman of Paris" — the first film he made for United Artists, the independent studio he co-founded in 1919; Erich von Stroheim's notorious, incomplete 1929 drama, "Queen Kelly" (star and producer Gloria Swanson fired him); Frank Capra's 1941 political allegory "Meet John Doe," which he financed himself by borrowing money from the Bank of America and with a loan from Warner Bros; and Welles' 1952 "Othello," which took years to complete because of financial issues.

Other films to be screened during July include Nicholas Ray's gritty 1951 film noir, "On Dangerous Ground"; 1955's "Killer's Kiss," the last film Kubrick financed on his own; Sam Fuller's 1964 thriller "The Naked Kiss"; and Penn's seminal 1967 drama, "Bonnie and Clyde."

'Edge of Outside'

Where: TCM

When: Wednesday, July 5, 2006 - 8:00p ET/5:00p PT and 11:30p ET/8:30p PT

http://www.tcm.com/2006/edgeofoutside/index.jsp
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Quote from: MacGuffin on July 04, 2006, 11:21:55 PM
Three films by Cassavetes follow the documentary; 1968's landmark film "Faces," which brought Oscar nominations for Cassavetes for his screenplay and supporting nominations for Seymour Cassel ("Stuck on You") and Lynn Carlin;

fixed.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gold Trumpet

I'm not surprised the initial reaction to TCM's new documentary is underwhelming. When I first saw the commercial, I was excited by what filmmakers TCM was finally taking notice of, but when I saw the guidelines for inclusion in the documentary, I felt they were too general to be interesting. This film will likely be just a short biography of filmmakers I already know.

modage

yeah and i'm watching it anyway!  it's already set to tivo. 

also: hbo just aired some thing about Boffo!  Box Office something or other i am also going to watch.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.