The Strain

Started by Jeremy Blackman, July 07, 2014, 01:47:42 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Guillermo del Toro + Carlton Cuse = magic?

This premiers July 13th on FX...

Jeremy Blackman

Has anyone else tried this? Just watched the pilot. Intriguing premise. There are 3 absolutely mindblowing scenes, totaling probably 90 seconds. (They are creature scenes.)

However, it's abundantly clear to me now that Guillermo Del Toro can't write dialogue. Just don't let him anywhere near those words.

I felt exactly the same way after watching after watching Pacific Rim. Just remove the characters, the dialogue, and the story, and it would be perfect.

polkablues

I watched about 15 minutes of (I think) the second episode, and there was so much terrible, stupid writing in that 15 minutes that I just turned it off and moved on with my life.
My house, my rules, my coffee

diggler

It's bad but it's the fun kind of bad. The reveal of "The Master" in the most recent episode had us laughing pretty good.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Jeremy Blackman

I skipped all the way to episode 7 (because the AV Club gave it an A-) and felt like I had missed nothing. Not sure if I'll dip into it again. Although I might have to watch this recent episode you speak of.

diggler

You didn't miss anything, this entire season could've been whittled down into one pilot. I like Corey Stoll, Kevin Durand and David Bradley but nothing about this show should be taken seriously. At it's best it hits a campy, 80's monster movie vibe but those moments are spread out over a lot of awful character development. Even still, I enjoy watching it. Perhaps the endless brooding of the Walking Dead has ruined my taste for genre shows, but something about it feels fresh even though most of the elements are recycled.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty