Girls

Started by modage, March 16, 2012, 11:52:35 AM

modage

Renewed for Season 2. Good news for Apatow ending his run of previously cancelled 1-Seasoners.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

Quote from: modage on April 30, 2012, 02:41:33 PM
Renewed for Season 2. Good news for Apatow ending his run of previously cancelled 1-Seasoners.

:yabbse-thumbup:

Last night's episode was really good.

wiped_out

I was not seen  thank heavens! I was in the lower part of the gallery there was a dude rocking a crazy outfit, which was visible for a millisecond .I was like far left, unseen but paid.

oh and I am 100% Puerto Rican, but am often mistaken for being white....

I think the show is pretty lame, I cant believe HBO canceled Bored to Death, that was my favorite HBO show, next to Boardwalk Empire and Curb.

I find the that most shows that take place in NYC that you see are white washed that's cause the people who created the show, and in effect are running the show come from a affluent white world so that's what they know and that's what they show.. I don't get mad at these shows I just don't watch them after I see what there about.

Ive watched 3 episodes of Girls and its about rich girls and their warped sex lives, but the folks that sell the show have to shovel the bullshit which is "oh this is about "real girls" making it in NYC...really? Cause to live in Greenpoint you gotta have $$$, Greenpoint before the hipster invasion was a Polish neighborhood and to some degree it still is....just like Williamsburg was a Puerto Rican enclave now its predominately hipster because they have pushed out the people who used to reside in these neighborhoods via gentrification.

Whats happened to Brooklyn is basically this: Manhattan(except past 110st,Harlem, but that is probably next to fall, Thanks to Columbia, has transformed into a wealthy person's utopia. Post 9-11 NYC morphed into a police state(the transit system motto is "if you see something say something", that's the facts,for the safety of its citizens and its done some good(screening people , thwarting an IED attack by some terrorist) and bad(stupid quality of life arrests like riding your bike on the sidewalk, pissing on sidewalk, spitting or smoking a joint out in the street).
What Brooklyn has become is the "new Manhattan" or rather the new village, where artists,musicans,poets,filmmakers, and bohemians alike can live in harmony with one another. However there are so many shoddy modern looking "luxury" condos its ridiculous.

diggler

Quote from: wiped_out on May 02, 2012, 11:04:36 AM
Whats happened to Brooklyn is basically this: Manhattan(except past 110st,Harlem, but that is probably next to fall, Thanks to Columbia, has transformed into a wealthy person's utopia. Post 9-11 NYC morphed into a police state(the transit system motto is "if you see something say something", that's the facts,for the safety of its citizens and its done some good(screening people , thwarting an IED attack by some terrorist) and bad(stupid quality of life arrests like riding your bike on the sidewalk, pissing on sidewalk, spitting or smoking a joint out in the street).

The parenthesis use in this paragraph was like the literary version of Inception.

I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Pubrick

Quote from: ©brad on April 30, 2012, 03:39:34 PM
Quote from: modage on April 30, 2012, 02:41:33 PM

:yabbse-thumbup:

Last night's episode was really good.

Yes I agree they really kept it real this time with the black girl in the background at the gallery (lower ground, visible for a few seconds from the upper level) and the other black girl passing through the background at the bar where Hannah meets up with her gay ex.
under the paving stones.

Reel

groundbreaking stuff

Tictacbk

They should've included a black girl in the group of friends.  And cast hotter actresses.  And made the characters more likeable.

72teeth

more ugly black men
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

modage

Lena Dunham addressing the cBradtroversy:

"I take that criticism very seriously. This show isn't supposed to feel exclusionary...I wrote the first season primarily by myself, and I co-wrote a few episodes. But I am a half-Jew, half-WASP, and I wrote two Jews and two WASPs. Something I wanted to avoid was tokenism in casting. If I had one of the four girls, if, for example, she was African-American, I feel like — not that the experience of an African-American girl and a white girl are drastically different, but there has to be specificity to that experience [that] I wasn't able to speak to. I really wrote the show from a gut-level place, and each character was a piece of me or based on someone close to me. And only later did I realize that it was four white girls. As much as I can say it was an accident, it was only later as the criticism came out, I thought, 'I hear this and I want to respond to it.' And this is a hard issue to speak to because all I want to do is sound sensitive and not say anything that will horrify anyone or make them feel more isolated, but I did write something that was super-specific to my experience, and I always want to avoid rendering an experience I can't speak to accurately."

Sounds like...

Quote from: modage on April 25, 2012, 09:23:53 AM
Wouldn't it have been more insulting had HBO forced her to cast someone of race just to fulfill a quota?

Quote from: modage on April 25, 2012, 03:08:11 PM
This is Dunham's show and we can speculate as to why she cast herself and 3 whities - maybe her 3 closest friends upon whom she based the characters are white, maybe she doesn't know enough about the black/hispanic/indian/whatever experience to confidently write for those characters? - but the fact is that it doesn't matter.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

"Hey, I'm just writing from my experience, to which in my segregated, racially pure lifestyle in a town were only 35% of the population is white, I somehow only managed to always find myself in places were 99.99% of the people surrounding me are white."

I didn't want to embark on tokenism. And we all know the only TV shows, or real life interactions with blacks or latinos is where they are token side kicks to whites. I mean, who actually hangs out with 'colored people' in Brooklyn?"

And good Christ she said it herself, how different does she think a black girl's post-college malaise is to hipster white girls?

Sorry man, we'll have to agree to disagree. The more she talks the more infuriated this all gets. I like the show. I like her. I don't believe her to be a racist, rather just a little shallow and insulated.

modage

Did you listen to the whole interview? It's a good interview and should assuage most of everybody's complaints about the show.

Reel

wouldn't it be great if they were more upfront with the perspective of this show and we could all just move on?

©brad

Quote from: modage on May 09, 2012, 10:43:04 AM
Did you listen to the whole interview? It's a good interview and should assuage most of everybody's complaints about the show.

Not the whole thing but I will. She does come across well-intentioned and I do admire her greatly.

One last point and I'll shut up because I'm so exhausted with the arguments circling this show that I'm coming full circle and starting to consent to your points now. I really feel like many of the issues stem from the title, as silly as that sounds. Because it's so generic and inherently inclusive. Had she come up with a more specific title that was more revealing of this specific subset of people - oh god forget it. I'm boring myself now. It's a good show. Let's move on.

Ravi

Quote from: ©brad on May 10, 2012, 01:08:49 PM
I really feel like many of the issues stem from the title, as silly as that sounds. Because it's so generic and inherently inclusive. Had she come up with a more specific title that was more revealing of this specific subset of people - oh god forget it. I'm boring myself now. It's a good show. Let's move on.

What should the show be called, Jewish and WASP Girls From Upper-Middle Class Backgrounds Who Live in New York and Don't Have Their Shit Together? Isn't the show itself supposed to be what reveals how these people are? The title is perfect. It shows that the characters are immature girls and not women.

©brad

Quote from: Ravi on May 11, 2012, 04:39:02 PMWhat should the show be called, Jewish and WASP Girls From Upper-Middle Class Backgrounds Who Live in New York and Don't Have Their Shit Together? Isn't the show itself supposed to be what reveals how these people are? The title is perfect. It shows that the characters are immature girls and not women.

Quote from: ©brad on May 10, 2012, 01:08:49 PM
oh god forget it. I'm boring myself now. It's a good show. Let's move on.