Which Alexander the Great pic would you rather see?

Started by Satcho9, January 18, 2003, 03:42:02 PM

MacGuffin

Alexander the Great Race Takes a New Turn

While director Oliver Stone is trying to get his version of Alexander into theaters for Thanksgiving 2004, Baz Luhrmann and producer Dino De Laurentiis now say their Alexander the Great will not be released until at least late 2005.

Variety reports that De Laurentiis said Luhrmann plans to start filming his Leonardo DiCaprio and Nicole Kidman starrer in Morocco early next year. He international sales will be shopped at the Cannes Festival. Universal and DreamWorks co-finance the film.

The ambitious project -- which carries a budget of around $150 million -- requires the casting of some 70 speaking roles as well as hordes of extras (supplied from the Moroccan army by King Mohammed VI).

"This huge preparation can't be done in less than eight or nine months," said De Laurentiis, casting some skepticism on whether the Stone project, to be distributed by Warner Brothers and financed by Intermedia, could keep to its 2004 date.

Stone's project will star Colin Farrell in the title role, and Anthony Hopkins recently joined as well. Intermedia chief Moritz Borman reiterated confidence in his production schedule, adding that the pic had 30 staffers already on the payroll. "Set designs are done, the costumes are done. They're working on a full pre-production schedule," he said.

Luhrmann now plans to begin his principal photography in April 2004 and shoot for six months. Borman said Stone plans to shoot for 12 weeks.

"What most attracts me is the complex character of Alexander himself," said DiCaprio. "His legend is one of the most compelling stories in human history." Kidman, who will play Olympia, said, "She is unlike any other woman I've played before, and it's a role I'm really looking forward to."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Hmm...

well great news on Tony Hopkins joining the Stone project. to be honest both projects sound intriguing. i think it may be a good idea to space them out instead of going 'head to head.' not sure how that would work with audiences, especially considering both of these films will inevitably be long ones. will the general public go and see two 2&1/2-3 hour alexander the great films? i dunno... i would. guess it depeds on how the stone one is received. i'd imagine if people really liked stone's movie they might go and see baz's as well.

Gold Trumpet

Stone's shooting schedule is only 10 weeks to Luhrmann's 6 months? I'm guessing Luhrmann is equally interested in the beauty of the large scale battles as he is to the character Alexander himself. I bet that is what will keep them shooting for so long. I'll likely see both films, but Stone's seems more interesting.

~rougerum

bonanzataz

how the fuck will stone pull it off with such a short shooting schedule? any more "s's" in that sentence and ssssssssssssssssss.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MrBurgerKing

I know, looks like Oliver Stone is trying to rush things to get out his Alexander project first. Bazz is taking his sweet time.

If you really want to make a successful burger, take your time.. even if you're competing with Wendys. In the long-run, it will pay off.

godardian

Since either film will be the work of a crass, overrated blowhard of a director, I plan to stay home and quietly read a book when these epics ooze their way into my local multiplex. Or watch my DVD of Morvern Callar, if it's out by then.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Dino De Laurentiis outlined the plans for his Alexander project, which is being directed by Baz Luhrmann and set to star Leonardo DiCaprio and Nicole Kidman.

Seemingly unconcerned by the fact that Oliver Stone's rival Alexander project for Intermedia is being readied for a late 2004 delivery date, De Laurentiis is set to begin principal photography of the film in Morocco in April 2004.

Universal has domestic rights to the film and DreamWorks has international, although De Laurentiis is planning to sell Germany, Japan, France, UK, Spain, Italy and possibly Korea and Australia/New Zealand at Cannes.

"It's an expensive film and the prices are high," he explained, "although I have already had one offer from Japan of $20m. We are moving slowly and according to our plan. I believe that on a project of this size, you have to prepare properly, so we have eight months' preparation. The film has 20 leading characters and 70 speaking parts. Without full preparation, you go over schedule and over budget."

De Laurentiis said that digital effects work largely involving Alexander's horse Bucephalus will begin in November, with rehearsals set for Jan 2004. Kidman plays Olympia, Alexander's mother who was 16 years his senior. "The character of Olympia is one of the few iconic women in history," she said in a statement. "She is unlike any other woman I've played before and it's a role I'm really looking forward to."

"It's not just that Alexander conquered the world or was taught by Aristotle," added DiCaprio. "What most attracts me is the complex character of Alexander himself - always restless, impulsive but measured. His legend is one of the most compelling stories in human history."

De Laurentiis is also selling territories [at Cannes] on Carlo Carlei's next film Last Legion, another historical epic set during the fall of the Roman empire which will be shot in English as a European production. The film tells the true story of a group of legionaries who go to Britain to save the young emperor of Rome who has been kidnapped by barbarians.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Baz Luhrmann Talks Alexander The Great
Source: Sydney Morning Herald

The Sydney Morning Herald spoke with director Baz Luhrmann about Alexander The Great:

"But, simply put, we absolutely want to make the film in Australia. And we have wanted to do that for over a year now. So we're going to do everything we can to make that happen."

The hurdles included the rising value of the Australia dollar and the unavailability of "6000 soldiers who don't have a day job" as was offered in Morocco.

Luhrmann, who took Moulin Rouge to a best picture Oscar nomination last year, said the scale of the film was daunting.

"The reason that Alexander the Great really has not been done successfully before is the sheer scale of it - it's the world's biggest road movie.

"He goes from Greece to Turkey to Egypt to Jordan to the Hindu Kush to India, then all the way back again.

"And all the way, you're dealing with drama and spectacle. At one stage there were half a million people in one battle."

Whatever the eventual main location of the film, Luhrmann plans to work on the digital effects in November, then start filming once DiCaprio is finished playing the reclusive billionaire Howard Hughes in The Aviator in the middle of next year.

But he may shoot the young Alexander earlier. An international search for a boy aged seven to 10 to play the part is about to begin.

On the competition with another Alexander film planned by Oliver Stone, Luhrmann said he would not be racing to get to the screen first.

"I simply do not believe that I can make a film that requires such extraordinary challenges to be overcome and be rushing at the same time."

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Dark Horizons
With production delayed a year and Oliver Stone's rival version not far off from shooting, speculation began to grow that Universal was going to quietly bury their Baz Luhrmann helmed "Alexander the Great" epic but not so. In fact The Herald Sun reports that Luhrmann and producer Dino De Laurentiis meet with Prime Minister John Howard and Premier Bob Carr this week in order to try and garner military support to shoot the $US100 million epic around both Sydney's Fox Studios and the desert locations in and around the Broken Hill region in western New South Wales. Despite offers from China, Romania and Canada to film there, Luhrmann is keen to shoot in his home country but the trick is he needs around "500 troops capable of carrying out Alexander's military manoeuvres for two months". A big demand, though only around a tenth of the manpower that was offered to him by King Mohammed VI when filming was originally slated for Morocco. Luhrmann is also not settling on plain old extras either - "It's not about a bunch of extras standing there holding a spear. It's precise military manoeuvres. It's about the ability to go out into the desert and bivouac down then get up in the morning and shoot. We really need a crack cavalry. If we could get 300 crack cavalry, we'd be cool. With CG [computer-generated images], you don't need big numbers but you need great talents". The PM told the pair that he "gave his commitment to look into it [and] to do what he could", but without military support the director seems resigned to then moving the shoot to China - "If we knew we had these 200 troops tomorrow, it's a done thing - without it, we're gone, we can't really do it. This isn't just a 'gee, wouldn't it be nice', this is technical reality".
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Angelina Jolie Joins Oliver Stone's Alexander
Source: Variety

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life star Angelina Jolie has been cast by director Oliver Stone in his upcoming epic Alexander. Jolie will play the Macedonian conqueror's mother, Olympias. She joins Colin Farrell as Alexander and Anthony Hopkins, who was previously set to play Ptolemy.

Jolie will play Alexander's mother from his childhood through his reign as the king. Jolie will shoot her scenes in Morocco and London in the fall, says Variety. The role of Phillip, Alexander's father, has yet to be cast in the Warner Bros. distributed film.

Jolie will make Alexander before she plays another period heroine, Catherine the Great, in Love and Honor, the Randall Wallace-directed film for Disney, which begins production in Russia next spring.

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

Between Stone and Luhrmann.... well, something tells me I'm paying two tickets to see both movies. As for me, I'm not that well informed about Alexander The Great, but love both of the director's and their names are enough for me to be in line to buy a ticket 8)
Si

modage

Rosario Dawson is Roxanne in Stone's Alexander
Source: The Hollywood Reporter Sunday, July 27, 2003

Director Oliver Stone is in talks with Rosario Dawson (Men in Black II) to star in the epic Alexander. She Colin Farrell as Alexander, Anthony Hopkins as Ptolemy and Angelina Jolie who plays Alexander's mother.

As Roxanne, Dawson will portray Alexander's (Farrell) first wife. Intermedia is financing the film, which Warner Bros. Pictures is distributing domestically.

The Macedonian conqueror, Alexander the Great (356-323 B.C.), conquered almost the entire known world of his era. Though Alexander made use of the well-oiled army created by his father, he pushed the limits of Macedonian & Greek power to levels King Philip could not have dreamed of.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Jared Leto Joining Oliver Stone's Alexander
Source: Variety

Jared Leto (Panic Room) will co-star in the Oliver Stone-directed Alexander, for Intermedia and Warner Bros.

Leto will play Hephaistion, Alexander's top general and his lifelong companion.

Leto's role touches on one of the more sensitive plot points of both Intermedia's film and the rival saga being mounted by Baz Luhrmann and Dino De Laurentiis for Universal and DreamWorks: the conqueror's wide-ranging sexual interests.

Colin Farrell stars as Alexander, with Angelina Jolie as his mother and Anthony Hopkins as the general and future pharaoh Ptolemy.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Baz Luhrmann on Alexander the Great

The new issue of Entertainment Weekly has a good interview with director Baz Luhrmann talking about Alexander the Great. Here's several bits from the article.

Are you getting the cast you wanted? I've got Leonardo. In my mind, there was only one appropriate casting for Alexander and that was Leonardo. I worked with him when he was 19. He's a good friend and I've watched him grow into an actor who's truly in control of his own abilities. I've been thinking about doing Alexander for 10 years, but I never mentioned it to Leonardo. Then, when Marty [Scorsese] went to do his, he thought of Leonardo first and you totally understand why. When you see Alexander's face on screen, you've got to believe 50,000 men would follow this boy-man across the world. It's very hard to manifest humanity in a character that's an icon, but Leonardo is the guy for that kind of gig.

Who else is part of your cast? Nicole Kidman is playing Alexander's mother, Olympia, who is sort of a match for Cleopatra. I'll be seeing her in a few weeks and Leonardo in Montreal and I'm bringing them a draft, so both of them will know exactly what I'm doing. I still can't technically offer anyone contracts. I've gotten into the story by investing hugely in Alexander's childhood at the age of 9. So, I've got to find the perfect 9-year-old that looks like Leonardo as a child, who's really good with a horse and can act, and then I've got to schedule him before he grows up. As soon as I can cast the child, I can offer the contracts to the other actors.

What is the film's look? The assumed look of the ancient world was cooked up in '50s Hollywood -- everyone in white bedsheets and white miniskirts. It's definitely not that. There's a visual richness that you don't associate with the kind of camp '50s Hollywood language of it. It's a world you look at and wish you'd been part of. [Once again, Luhrmann is working with wife Catherine Martin, his production designer on ''Romeo + Juliet'' and ''Moulin Rouge.'' She won Oscars for ''Rouge'''s sets and costumes.]

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Baz LurhmanIt's very hard to manifest humanity in a character that's an icon

I hope that means he's going to be tough on Alexander. I just don't want a Braveheart-esque glorification.