The simpsons vrs other cartoons (official simpsons thread)

Started by AlguienEstolamiPantalones, May 18, 2003, 08:07:36 PM

Pas

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

mogwai

Pas

Quote from: Pubricki will so send u a letter bomb.

Yeah and I will throw it back to you with YOUR OWN BOOMERANG. Sweet irony ha ha ha

Gamblour.

"That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us!"
WWPTAD?

Ravi

Quote from: MacGuffinWe are very quality conscious, and we don't want the series to suffer because of the movie."

I don't think it could get any worse.

modage

P, the EXTENDED OC parody and the Oklahoma daydream = total family guy randomness. your thoughts?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

Quote from: modageP, the EXTENDED OC parody and the Oklahoma daydream = total family guy randomness. your thoughts?

Except, unlike "Family Guy" randomness, that bit wasn't even a tiny bit funny.   When they're not even as funny or witty as the show they're awkwardly parodying, it's time to pull the damn thing off life support.

Remember when to be a "Simpsons" writer was considered the ultimate achievement for anyone interested in TV writing?  I don't think that's the case anymore.

My feeling is that the problem is analogous to what Kurt Vonnegut has always said about writers: the best writers of tomorrow aren't going to be the creative writing majors.  In other words, to be a good writer, have a frame of reference beyond writing.  The problem with today's "Simpsons" writers is that their only frame of reference is "Simpsons" writing.  As a result, everything they come up with is either a stale version of something that was funny on "The Simpsons" in the past, or it's something new that's simply not funny.  

Watching "The Simpsons" now is like watching a sequel to "Magnolia", written by Akiva Goldsman.  I try not to think about it too much, because it hurts too much to do so.   :yabbse-cry:
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gamblour.

Quote from: polkablues
My feeling is that the problem is analogous to what Kurt Vonnegut has always said about writers: the best writers of tomorrow aren't going to be the creative writing majors.  In other words, to be a good writer, have a frame of reference beyond writing.  The problem with today's "Simpsons" writers is that their only frame of reference is "Simpsons" writing.  As a result, everything they come up with is either a stale version of something that was funny on "The Simpsons" in the past, or it's something new that's simply not funny.  

Perfect, end the thread until something drastic happens to the Simpsons.
WWPTAD?

Ravi

Quote from: Gamblour
Quote from: polkablues

It also applies to filmmakers whose main point of reference is cinema.  Tarantino's the only one who can do it well.

FG is so filled with references and parodies that its writers too seem to only have TV and pop culture as a reference.  Even Seinfeld was heavier on the references in its last two seasons than in previous seasons.

Pubrick

Quote from: modageP, the EXTENDED OC parody and the Oklahoma daydream = total family guy randomness. your thoughts?
episode hasn't shown here. i don't watch every new one anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if what u said was true tho. polka is dead on about the writers forgetting how to write.
under the paving stones.

72teeth

Quote from: 72teethjust sent mine in...now all i have to do is wait a cool 4 to 6 weeks...starting.....now.

...and...i just recived it...cool......im board, now what do i do.....
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Pubrick

Quote from: 72teeth...and...i just recived it...cool......im board, now what do i do.....
read:

under the paving stones.

YAY, they're speeding things up. hi , christmas present

context, context, context.

pete

Quote from: Ravi

It also applies to filmmakers whose main point of reference is cinema.  Tarantino's the only one who can do it well.

FG is so filled with references and parodies that its writers too seem to only have TV and pop culture as a reference.  Even Seinfeld was heavier on the references in its last two seasons than in previous seasons.[/quote]

It also applies to SNL writers, experimental filmmakers, gus van sant, and Jackie Chan's assistant choreographers.  heartbreaking all around.  it's inevitable, the information explosion in the mid to late 90s is partially responsible.

however, I think the conan writers are really good and really funny precisely because of the same reason.  they're more abundant with tv and talkshow injokes than they've ever been before, totally took the letterman concept 100 miles further.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton