Girls

Started by modage, March 16, 2012, 11:52:35 AM

©brad

We're exhausting this argument like the rest of the internet, so I'll try and be quick. It's one thing to just look beyond the all-white central leads and still enjoy the show for what it is, but to argue it benefits from racial exclusion is mind-boggling to me.

Quote from: modage on April 26, 2012, 10:25:09 AM
Quote from: ©brad on April 25, 2012, 05:51:58 PM
Exactly. It doesn't have to succumb to focus group thinking. 90% of TV deserves and should receive the same racial critique but 90% of TV sucks and isn't worth wasting life talking about.
I'm not sure you can be selective. It's either an issue worth discussing or it's not. My problem with this Girls backlash is that other shows aren't being put under the same kind of scrutiny.

But other shows are put under the same scrutiny. Girls is new, that's why the scrutiny is heightened. Do I really need to write a review explaining the racial (not to mention bigoted and misogynistic) bias of Two and A Half Men, or anything on CBS's horseshit lineup? The reason Girls is getting all this attention is because it's good! It's a show worth discussing and arguing about.

Please explain to me how a show taking place in New York City circa 2012 is great because it's excluding people that very much exist here. 
Because viewpoints are specific and trying to make something for everyone is boring. When the artist's intent is being watered down to cater to a larger audience, it sucks.

I don't understand how giving Lena Dunham a black friend is watering down anything. Making your entire cast white in this context is what's boring.

If the character was fully developed and not a one-dimensional caricature it wouldn't be pandering at all. This is the defense, we're not going to reflect the diversity of a city in fear of coming off pandering?
Why is it the show's job to "reflect the diversity of the city?" Wouldn't that also include old Jewish people, Indian cab drivers and Upper East Side rich kids and on and on. Those people exist too but when did it become this show's responsibility to tell their stories? Like, where do you draw the line? The version of NYC the show is presenting isn't denying those people exist, they're just not the central characters on the show. What about Friends? What about Flight of the Conchords? What about Seinfeld? These are all shows with a specific viewpoint. How To Make It In America reflected the diversity of the city but it just wasn't a good show.

Maybe I'm not articulating myself clearly.

Quote from: ©brad on April 25, 2012, 05:51:58 PMIt doesn't make sense dramatically to give Carmela Soprano a black best friend to go on brunch dates, but it definitely makes sense to give these liberal-artsy girls living in freakin' Brooklyn a diverse group of friends to hang with.

This isn't Downton Abbey. These girls don't live in an insulated world. They live in New York City. There's no sensible dramatic reason why they had to be all white, given their age, occupation (or lack there of) and where they live. If your title and premise are going to be this broad, so should your cast.

And I never said this or any show was responsible for shit. I'm criticizing the creator's choices and arguing it would be a better show if it was more inclusive. I would say the same thing to Friends, Sex and the City, Seinfeld, and any low-concept show in New York about dating, sex, or finding oneself.

polkablues

Uh-oh, Reelist just found out about the internet.
My house, my rules, my coffee

diggler

Cripes, are we still talking about this? There's been two episodes. Two. Should we shift the conversation to how Game Of Thrones didn't have a black character that didn't threaten to rape a white woman until midway through Season 2?
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

polkablues

Or we could start talking about Veep, Armando Iannucci's spiritual successor to The Thick of It and In the Loop, which is both hilarious and has a black person in it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

Let's talk about me and Diggler's avatars. I think we deserve some credit here.

©brad

Quote from: polkablues on April 27, 2012, 05:21:24 PM
Or we could start talking about Veep, Armando Iannucci's spiritual successor to The Thick of It and In the Loop, which is both hilarious and has a black person in it.

Haha. Yeah I loved it.

This article from Gawker is good and pretty much argues both the points Mod and I were trying to make.

Hipster Racism Runoff And The Search for The Black Costanza

Another week, another episode of Girls with no black people, another Gawker Media piece about why it's fucked up to not include black people in your show about New York, another article from angry neocons attacking Gawker Media. The dust Lena Dunham's new HBO show has managed to kick up thus far is remarkable in light of its relatively average ratings. But it's also noteworthy because far fewer people seemed to care when the crimes of which the show is accused happened before—many times. Though it's taken on different iterations throughout the years, the white-ified TV New York City has served as a backdrop for lots of America's most beloved programs, and there is no sign that that trend is slowing. Hate Girls all you want, but recognize that Dunham is following a precedent that started even before she was born.

The Honeymooners didn't have any blacks in it, of course, despite the fact that New York City was already about 14 percent black by 1960. But that was a long time ago. In the 1980s, when Seinfeld premiered, Dunham was 3. Seinfeld is probably the most "New York" TV show in history in that it accurately gets at the quotidian indignities, stresses, and petty bickering a person must endure to live in New York City. New Yorkers liked Seinfeld because it was all about the ordinary problems New Yorkers faced: an awkward encounter with a romantic interest at the gym, a foolish interaction with a stranger on the subway. But while the show's verisimilitude was its greatest strength, that's also what made its dearth of people of color particularly irritating—how could they get it so right in so many areas while totally ignoring one that really mattered to millions of non-white New Yorkers?

Worse still is that when Seinfeld did include characters of color, they were often outrageous caricatures: A heavily accented Chinese restaurant host too dumb to tell the difference between "Costanza" and "Cartwright," a heavily accented gay Puerto Rican with a penchant to steal. To relieve yourself of any notions that Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David weren't intentionally trading in ethnic stereotypes on Seinfeld, go here and listen to actor Danny Hoch tell a story about the time he was fired from the show for refusing to use a Spanish accent to play a crazy pool boy.

"Why a Spanish accent?" asked Hoch. "Because it's funnier," said Seinfeld.

In 1998, the year Seinfeld went off the air, Sex and the City premiered and continued whitewashing the titular City. Though Carrie Bradshaw and her shoe crew were always out and about in the ultra-diverse New York, they were somehow able to constantly avoid serious interactions with black and brown people (save for obnoxious transsexual prostitutes). To be fair, throughout the majority of the show, the quartet refused to leave the whitest parts of Manhattan, lest they should run into the unwashed dark thugs in the outer boroughs. But that never totally explained how women so professionally and personally invested in New York's culture scene, a scene influenced deeply by young black people, were also content never talking to black people.

In the off chance one of the foursome did date a black man, it always went wrong somewhere along the way. There was the handsome doctor, Robert, who lasted about four episodes before Miranda dumped him. Robert got his revenge by being such a paragon of sexuality that he was able to essentially fuck two women in front of Miranda's white boyfriend, Steve, who slinked away from a would-be confrontation in shame. Then there was Chivon Williams, the black rap label executive who dated Samantha. That relationship was going fine until Williams' sister told Samantha to get her "little white pussy" away from her brother. Angry black women, amiright?!?!

After Seinfeld and Sex and the City, most of the all-white, fictional New Yorks start to blur together into what we can call the "Friends Vortex." The problem of Friends' almost total whiteness was complex, because there were several black people in speaking roles on the show—they were just eminently forgettable. It's a dilemma many TV programs face: a desire to have some color, but no real desire to add minority characters that are substantive or layered. In the end, you're left with a black waiter here and there, or a black school principal or temporary lover. They're good for a couple laughs, and they let your audience know you're aware black people exist, but they're also distant enough you don't have to start incorporating "Black Issues," like, y'know, weaves and welfare. What makes the black-person-as-ambiance routine especially upsetting is that it's how many black people feel they're treated in the real world: off to the side, immaterial, seen and heard but rarely remembered.

Other shows caught in the Friends Vortex are Mad About You, Caroline in the City, How I Met Your Mother, et cetera, et cetera. Gossip Girl hints at giving you a brown character in Vanessa, but not in any direct way. I think you're just supposed to assume she's a Latina because she wears patterned clothing and big earrings sometimes. You'd think that show could include a black boy or girl somewhere; they could make him or her a rapper's child.

Put into this context, one hopes it should be easier for people like Lesley Arfin to see why blacks and others who criticize Girls for its lily-white depiction of Brooklyn are so offended: because after a while you get tired of rich celebrities pretending that you don't exist. Beyond that, you get tired of them pretending that if you do exist, you work at a rap record label or are a bum, as the only black guy in the Girls pilot was.

I also think it goes much deeper than just wanting to be characterized as being normal, or be characterized at all. One of the reasons Girls seems to be so adored is that its depiction of upper-middle class, Urban Outfitters ennui reads as more true than most everything before it, as if, at long last, there is finally a team of young people that "gets it." Many sub-30, post-college men and women look at the show and nod their heads in agreement with every abortion joke, drug reference, and unfortunate sex scene. This stuff is indeed happening in Ivy League pockets throughout the United States, the only difference is it's happening to black, Latino, and Asian people as well, not just Dunham and her trio of white friends.

It's a failing of contemporary American culture that if there's ever a discussion about adding a black character to a show, people immediately think that means a slang-spitting, wise-cracking stereotype. They assume the person asking for diversity is asking for the show's creator to change the entire dynamic of the program. Instead, what's more often happening is that the person interested in diversity is simply asking for the show's creator to understand that black people can and do do everything white people do, usually making a character's race irrelevant.

There is currently not a single leading character on Girls that couldn't be played honestly and convincingly by a black actor or a Pakistani actor or a Taiwanese actor. It may come as a surprise to some Americans, but there are women of all races who freeload off their wealthy parents and work in tony art galleries. Alas, if you look at the full cast list for Girls, you'll see that minority actors don't play those kinds of girls. They're saved for special roles, a sampling of which includes:

Sidné Anderson as "Jamaican Nanny"
    Jermel Howard as "Young Black Guy"
    Moe Hindi as "Roosevelt Hotel Bellhop"
    Jo Yang as "Tibetan Nanny"

When he won the Pulitzer this year for criticism, the Boston Globe's Wesley Morris owed part of his victory to his writing about the Fast and Furious film series. Though the Fast movies are almost universally mocked as obnoxious pieces of shit, Morris calls them "incredibly important" for their depictions of race. "nlike most movies that feature actors of different races, the mixing is neither superficial nor topical," Morris wrote of Fast Five. "It has been increasingly thorough as the series goes on—and mostly unacknowledged. That this should seem so strange, so rare, merely underscores how far Hollywood has drifted from the rest of culture."

The thing that sucks about Girls and Seinfeld and Sex and the City and every other TV show like them isn't that they don't include strong characters focusing on the problems facing blacks and Latinos in America today. The thing that sucks about those shows is that millions of black people look at them and can relate on so many levels to Hannah Horvath and Charlotte York and George Costanza, and yet those characters never look like us. The guys begging for money look like us. The mad black chicks telling white ladies to stay away from their families look like us. Always a gangster, never a rich kid whose parents are both college professors. After a while, the disparity between our affinity for these shows and their lack of affinity towards us puts reality into stark relief: When we look at Lena Dunham and Jerry Seinfeld, we see people with whom we have a lot in common. When they look at us, they see strangers.

©brad

One last Girls post and I'm done. This video is from the hysterical Louis Virtel who does this web show Verbal Vogueing I highly recommend watching. Anyway, he gives shits like me a hard time for giving Girls such a hard time and it's pretty funny.

And here's verbal vogueing.

wiped_out

I was an extra on this show, art gallery seen, i got tipsy during the long ass wait, there were like a dozen bars in the area and it was like a Friday night and, being a extra is a poor way to spend a Friday night so I made the best of it

Robyn

So you're white right?

malkovich

Reel

which drunk white person are you in what episode?

Ravi

Quote from: ©brad on April 28, 2012, 04:34:50 PM
This article from Gawker is good and pretty much argues both the points Mod and I were trying to make.

Hipster Racism Runoff And The Search for The Black Costanza

The use of "hipster" is unnecessary. I guess they needed a buzzword in the title.

It is a fair criticism of TV in general that there's not enough diversity, but I don't buy that a show like Girls needs more black characters in it. I don't think it is so inconceivable that the central characters would be lily white.

chere mill

Quote from: lena dunham on nicholas ray
I'm a total movie geek, but I can't get into movies like Nicholas Ray's. I'll go with my friends and they'll say, "Bigger Than Life—that was incredible." And I was so distracted the entire time by watching James Mason act in that fashion. I was watching it with a boy who I wanted very much to think I was cool and have a crush on me, but the whole time I was like, ugh, yawn, bring a book, I can't deal with this. . . .

http://www.villagevoice.com/2010-06-08/film/what-it-takes-bamcinemafest-edition/

that's the final nail in the coffin for lena dunham.

and i hated tiny furniture.

modage

Yes, an article from 2 years ago where she says she doesn't like Nicolas Ray is the "final nail in the coffin" for her. Somebody call HBO. Tell them to cancel the series, it's done. Cheremill says so.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

chere mill

Quote from: modage on April 30, 2012, 08:46:21 AM
Yes, an article from 2 years ago where she says she doesn't like Nicolas Ray is the "final nail in the coffin" for her. Somebody call HBO. Tell them to cancel the series, it's done. Cheremill says so.

now you're catching on.