Community / Parks and Recreation

Started by diggler, April 15, 2011, 04:20:04 PM

modage

Quote from: ddiggler on May 14, 2011, 11:53:36 PM
If you can take a show like Parks and Rec and call it overrated then you are pretty spoiled.
Yeah I think I am. I can't figure it out other than to say that a TV show requires an insane amount of time invested to keep up with it. Unlike a movie (mediocre/bad/guiltypleasure) it's 2 hours and you're done but a TV show can be 20, 40 etc. hours of time and now in the age of DVR/DVD/streaming/downloading I only want to watch something if I love it. I've seen an inordinate amount of praise for both Parks and Community and they're both perfectly fine/above average sitcoms with extremely likable casts and clever writing. But they're nothing special. It may be the best that's on right now, but that just proves we're not in any comedy golden age. I have little/no patience for sitcoms.

My favorite comedies right now are Peep Show and Children's Hospital.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

diggler

How is Peep Show not a sitcom?

I love Childrens Hospital as well, I think the new season is starting soon? THAT'S an ensemble.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

polkablues

http://www.avclub.com/articles/dan-harmon-walks-us-through-communitys-second-seas,57085/1/

This is an epic, four-part interview with Community creator Dan Harmon, breaking down the second season episode by episode.  It's funny, informative, and brutally honest, to an extent that you wouldn't expect from a show-runner talking about his still-running show.  I think Harmon internalizes the creative process of his show more than just about anyone in television, and it's fascinating holding a spyglass up to it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

I'm with you. I like reading these more than I like watching his show. It's hard for me to figure out how he can be so smart but the show is so meh.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

cronopio 2

Quote from: RegularKarate on April 15, 2011, 04:54:23 PM
You guys are watching Community wrong.
It's like the Simpsons.  It's so fucking smart and quick.  Next season you'll be pretending you liked it the whole time.

love this description, RK. i'm on the third episode and it's all been good.

Jeremy Blackman

The title was annoying me. I changed it back.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: polkablues on June 10, 2011, 06:26:41 PM
http://www.avclub.com/articles/dan-harmon-walks-us-through-communitys-second-seas,57085/1/

This is an epic, four-part interview with Community creator Dan Harmon, breaking down the second season episode by episode.  It's funny, informative, and brutally honest, to an extent that you wouldn't expect from a show-runner talking about his still-running show.  I think Harmon internalizes the creative process of his show more than just about anyone in television, and it's fascinating holding a spyglass up to it.

I had to read these articles Twice so far because you know they're transcriptions of audio from the informal nature of the syntax.  I really, really, really like the Channel101 comedy that Dan Harmon & Rob Schrab & others put out there, so I'm always in full support of this show, but it's SO strange to read Harmon talk trash about his creation and talks up everyone on the staff as amazing except himself.  Especially such an upbeat silly show!
Guess it goes to show you that sometimes comedy can be harder than drama, and it's pretty great to see such passion put into a damn sitcom.  Especially a show the head cinephiles on this site are so "meh" about.

Hope he enjoys drinking less out of guilt and more out of celebration if Season 3 goes well.

ono

Parks and Recreation is back, and it's just SO GOOD.  The characters are now at a point where they're fully-fleshed, and it's a joy to see them interact.  April and Andy.  Jerry (with the biggest dick ever).  Ron, growing a full beard in a day.  I love it.  Please split this from Community.  *shudder*

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 14, 2011, 02:22:29 PM
I feel like we've created a sufficiently crucial narrative that would preclude splitting the thread.

pete

no one else is onboard with OMAR from the wire being a regular on community?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

At first I liked the idea of his character more than how the character actually worked, but this last episode was great. The LEGO speech, his casual takedown of Magnitude, "We had a name for groups like you in prison... the mean clique." It was all gold.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

So NO remarks yet on "Remedial Chaos Theory."

No surprise for Xixax to hate on this show & not even take note of the incomparable editing and non-linear storytelling techniques used to make a pretty dense half hour of television come to life.

Malcolm in the Middle did a pretty good Sliding Doors episode back in the day, and I don't even like that show that much now, but know that it was GOOD.

Tictacbk

I agree with your opinion on Community.

I do not agree with your opinion of Xixax.

Everyone should be watching both Parks&Rec and Community.

Pubrick

Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestion on October 18, 2011, 11:27:36 PM
No surprise for Xixax to hate on this show

haha xixax doesn't hate Community. xixax is just being misrepresented by ono when he says that Parks and Rec is "SO GOOD". it is not.

Community is one of a few current shows i am nuts about (along with Bobs Burgers when it comes back and Breaking Bad which i am catching up to) so as part of xixax i can tell you that there is no basis for this "hate" perception. i guess that's just something you like to think.

but even as a huge Community fan i have to disagree with everyone who is praising the last episode, it felt like filler. the multiple story arcs didn't even feel that clever, it seems ppl are just latching on to that gimmick because it makes it easy to demonstrate the uniqueness of the show but it is probably the least interesting/successful gimmick the show has employed. it is nowhere near as clever as the stop motion xmas gimmick they did a while back, that was one of the best episodes of TV this decade.

i'll have to see how the rest of the season deals with the multiple universes (a similar idea that was touched on brilliantly in the parallel model UN conventions) to judge whether it was a huge waste of time or not. it just felt like they had a premise they wanted to work on, that troy and abed moved in and there was a party, and nowhere  to go from there. i suspect that's the only element of the episode that will carry through to the rest of the season.
under the paving stones.