Swimming Pool

Started by jokerspath, July 01, 2003, 02:51:15 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: Pas RapportI liked that movie a lot. I even found it somewhat (I repeat, somewhat) Lynchian sometimes, with the midget, the nudity and the twisted plot. I like Ozon a lot, he's a fresh breath in french cinema. But you say you "play catch up" with a few indie films, I don't think being foreign equals being indie. This movie is backed by Canal+ and France 2,  and I think it's a pretty big french production. I could be wrong, I don't know the definition of "indie film" but I don't think this is one. Correct me if you please.

And seriously, Ludivine Sagnier is a bomb.
you are not wrong.
under the paving stones.

modage

i guess i mean 'arthouse', not 'indie' since thats where this film played in my neck of the woods.  and as far as the nudity not being attractive, i know that doesnt have any bearing on the plot, its just that in a lot of the other reviews on here i read, they were addressing the nudity as in 'i hated the movie, but the nudity made it worthwhile'.  i was simply trying to say 'i hated the movie, and the nudity didnt make it any more worthwhile'.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

TheVoiceOfNick

I'm getting the DVD, but I hate that it won't have the Region 2 stuff... I just know that if/when it gets nominated for an award, it'll get a "awards edition" or something like that...

Film Student

Saw this film over the summer and enjoyed it very much... definitely Lynchian, definitely a fun little mystery, definitely lots of Ludivine Sagnier undressed...
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

TheVoiceOfNick

Reaction to Swimming Pool, categorized by age group:

6-11:  "Mommy, what are those things on that lady?  This is boring, mommy.  Read me a story... the one about the 3 bears."

12-15:  "Wow, did you see the bush on that chick?  I wish they'd add scenes like that to American Pie or Texas Chainsaw Massacre and not waste it on this boring shit!  What's up with showing that nasty old chick naked?  Yuck!"

16-19:  "The story was kinda slow, but you gotta love the titties in this movie!  They should have made more cuts like in that new Nelly video, and maybe had some more titties too!"

20-22:  "The style was definetly in the Hitchcock/Lynch spirit, especially the scenes of nudity.  I learned that in my film class, ya know.  This is definetly the movie i'd love to watch with my friends while drunk/high."

23-27:  "This is definetly Ozon's best work.  Sure, it reminds me of 8 Women a bit, but this has something more to it that puts it above the rest.  My friend and his wife came with my girlfriend and I to see it, and although the girls kept talking about the flaws in Julie's body, my friend and I couldn't help but notice the subtle relationship between the her and the old lady."

28-100:  Insert Roger Ebert Review Here

Finn

I liked it a lot myself. It's a very sexy, intriguing movie with an Alfred Hitchcock twist to it. It's worth seeing more than once.

One question: what's the difference between the R rated and unrated versions?
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

SoNowThen

pubic hair, I'm guessing
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SydneyI liked it a lot myself. It's a very sexy, intriguing movie with an Alfred Hitchcock twist to it. It's worth seeing more than once.

One question: what's the difference between the R rated and unrated versions?

Yes, probably something like what SNT said- it's usually a few seconds or less of barely noticeable difference a la Dressed to Kill or American Psycho (with Eyes Wide Shut being a more extreme case, and we never even GOT an unrated version of that in N.A.!!).
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

TheVoiceOfNick

So there's no word on whether a more fully-packed version will be released in the US?  I don't want to waste my money on a stripped down version when I know there's a better version in the works.

godardian

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickSo there's no word on whether a more fully-packed version will be released in the US?  I don't want to waste my money on a stripped down version when I know there's a better version in the works.

I haven't heard any "word," but I seriously doubt that they'll ever bother with a subsequent, additional DVD release of this particular film in the U.S. It was successful, but not nearly that successful.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: godardianI haven't heard any "word," but I seriously doubt that they'll ever bother with a subsequent, additional DVD release of this particular film in the U.S. It was successful, but not nearly that successful.

In other words, no one but us film geeks even care that it was even released here... hehe... that's why it's MSRP is higher than most other DVDs to begin with... it's a niche product.  Good point.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: godardian
I haven't heard any "word," but I seriously doubt that they'll ever bother with a subsequent, additional DVD release of this particular film in the U.S. It was successful, but not nearly that successful.

Right.  There's no way they are going to re-release this one, unless it gets picked up by another distributor.  Even if that happened it would be a long shot.  If hell froze over, then I might say maybe...MAYBE.

Gamblour.

God, this movie was terrible. Skinemax/Showtime quality at the most. I can't believe people are actually trashing the names of Lynch and Hitchcock by saying the ending or twist resembles one of their own. The dialogue was horrible (that line about assholes is so old), but that ending, wow. So unnecessary, so fucking uninspired.
WWPTAD?

Pas

Are you guys seeing a dubbed version ? Hope not...

smash

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickReaction to Swimming Pool, categorized by age group:
16-19:  "The story was kinda slow, but you gotta love the titties in this movie!  They should have made more cuts like in that new Nelly video, and maybe had some more titties too!"
Ouch.