The Sopranos

Started by SoNowThen, November 19, 2003, 02:34:59 PM

Fernando

Quote from: Cinephile on April 18, 2006, 08:56:36 PM
i think its assumed everything is spoilers in here ..

so vito is still alive.. hope hes dead soon since hes been such an asshole.

He is, but I'm glad he's alive, I really like how the writers are handling vito's situation.

What I love the most this season is that so far hasn't been too predictable, well Vito getting caught yes but I honestly don't know what's gonna happen to him, will Pauly or one of the other guys wack him, will Tony save him? This season is awesome.  :yabbse-smiley:

How come no one knows or suspects that Jr. has Alzheimers and that is why he shot Tony? They're like 'I don't wanna hear anything about him' attitude so it's almost impossible they even give some thought to that situation.

©brad

"Could it be a midlife thing?"
"Sucking a cock?"

Quote from: Fernando on April 19, 2006, 10:20:33 AMHow come no one knows or suspects that Jr. has Alzheimers and that is why he shot Tony? They're like 'I don't wanna hear anything about him' attitude so it's almost impossible they even give some thought to that situation.

didn't tony mention that this wasn't the first time his uncle had tried to kill him?

Fernando

Quote from: ©brad on April 19, 2006, 10:38:48 AM
Quote from: Fernando on April 19, 2006, 10:20:33 AMHow come no one knows or suspects that Jr. has Alzheimers and that is why he shot Tony? They're like 'I don't wanna hear anything about him' attitude so it's almost impossible they even give some thought to that situation.

didn't tony mention that this wasn't the first time his uncle had tried to kill him?

Yep, he did along with Tony's mother in the first or second season can't remember now, but they made peace and this time he didn't actually wanted to kill him, so for me it's a totally different matter but they don't see it like that or don't want to. I guess because of that first attempt they are right but still I keep wondering why no one sees Jr.'s sickness angle as why he did what he did.

©brad

each episode of this season gets better and better.

©brad

okay so the last two episodes were great. i'm loving the photography and music this season. the whole style is much more cinematic.

christopher's marriage sure came out of no where. where did this broad come from? last week's episode had christopher doing lines w/ a stripper in LA.

Reinhold

i didn't dig this week's episode so much. some of the shots felt kind of awkward to me; the narrative focus of the episode seemed like it could have been a minor conflict while something more interesting had the main focus.

SPOILERS

christopher's relapse = suck. where the hell was AJ this episode? no vito? and what was up with the second time they mocked the bikers? i wasn't blown away by this episode.

the subtle rack/pull when Tony and Chris were having their nightcap was nice-- but i don't see how it's getting more "cinematic"

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Fernando

Quote from: ©brad on May 08, 2006, 02:45:17 PM
christopher's marriage sure came out of no where. where did this broad come from? last week's episode had christopher doing lines w/ a stripper in LA.

Yep, that was sudden, it wasn't long ago when Tony said to Chris 'how many times are you going to play the Adriana card?', as for the stripper, well all those guys have a goomar even Vito.  :yabbse-shocked:

Quote from: Fomaphone on May 09, 2006, 12:33:09 PM
SPOILERS
and what was up with the second time they mocked the bikers?

Yeah, that scene was a waste, I thought that at some point Chris was going to ask Tony for $omething or something...

Anyway, only three more eps. left, they should be the best of this season.

©brad

Quote from: Fomaphone on May 09, 2006, 12:33:09 PMchristopher's relapse = suck. where the hell was AJ this episode? no vito? and what was up with the second time they mocked the bikers? i wasn't blown away by this episode.

that's my one beef about the show. the narrative jumps all over the place. in the episode before last, AJ was the focus, and it ends w/ him coked up on the bathroom floor of a club. last week, we hardly see AJ at all. there's no payoff. it's pauly show now. and vito has been MIA for two episodes now.

Quote from: Fernando on May 09, 2006, 01:09:10 PMAnyway, only three more eps. left, they should be the best of this season.

actually no. there are 12 episodes in this season. last week's episode was #7. in addition, we're getting an 8-episode bonus to air in January 2007, which will end the show.

Fernando

Quote from: ©brad on May 10, 2006, 08:40:10 AM
Quote from: Fernando on May 09, 2006, 01:09:10 PMAnyway, only three more eps. left, they should be the best of this season.

actually no. there are 12 episodes in this season. last week's episode was #7. in addition, we're getting an 8-episode bonus to air in January 2007, which will end the show.

:saywhat:

From the HBO site, these are the episodes that have been aired:

( 1 )  66 Members Only
( 2 )  67 Join the Club
( 3 )  68 Mayham
( 4 )  69 The Fleshy Part of the Thigh
( 5 )  70 Mr. & Mrs. John Sacrimoni Request
( 6 )  71 Live Free or Die
( 7 )  72 Luxury Lounge
( 8 )  73 Johnny Cakes
( 9 )  74 The Ride

So, there's only three more left from these 12 batch, and as you said 8 more next year.

©brad

well, that shut me up.

cine

thats crazy, i thought i'd seen less than 9 too. somehow i will support cbrad on this..  :ponder:

Fernando

This Q&A is taken from an Interview at AICN, some guy interviewed Director Danny Leiner who did this season's Luxury Louge; I only pasted the sopranos related part.

MJ: I've gotta ask you about The Sopranos because I don't have cable at the dorm, so my mom sends me the tapes in the mail a week late and literally, my jaw dropped when Bacall took that hit in the face. I couldn't believe it.

DL: I've heard that from a number of people who were just shocked. First of all, it was a hell of a ride for me. It was my first Sopranos and I get my first script and it has Sir Ben Kingsley and Lauren Bacall. It has Artie Bucco beating up... I mean, there were a lot of events in the script, particularly for this season, which has kind of been a little muted on the violence and more of a character study even though this one had Rusty gets hit on the show. But other than that there was nothing of big, overall kind of importance, but it was a huge Sopranos. Just going to LA was hilarious because even though I shot most of it here, but it was fun to go to LA. And Lauren Bacall was awesome.

MJ: How did they get those two because I just did a one-on-one with Sir Ben last month and he held out on me. I can't believe he didn't tell me!

DL: Well he was pretty hush-hush. I mean working on The Sopranos you have to sign your life away and it's cool. I heard Joe who plays Vito talking about his story arc and he was just saying, "If you're a real Sopranos fan, do you really want to know what's gonna happen?" I mean, it's way better to find out. That's one of the greatest things about The Sopranos and why I think people were affected in a fun way by Lauren Bacall getting punched. You don't know from scene to scene or episode to episode what the hell is gonna happen on that show.

You just have no clue, you can't follow it. There's no way to predict unless someone told you and I think that's one of the greatest aspects of that show is that you just don't know where it's going. But back to that episode, and particularly Lauren Bacall, it was a blast, it was intense. We were in LA for five days and Lauren came out and was hilarious. I think she had a blast. She loved cursing and she's just so cool. We had to do a number of takes and we had stunts and sound problems and just a lot of stuff going on that night because we were shooting outside of the Beverly Hills Hilton. She was just a trooper. I had a blast with her.

MJ: What's the atmosphere on set like coming in as an outsider?

DL: Um, it's intense. I mean, I had the advantage of having worked with Edie Falco. Edie and I went to school together and I did a five minute short my first real film out of school and she was in it. I did a half-hour short with John Leguizamo, she was in it. I did my first feature starring her and Jeremy Piven, it was like a credit card feature, and she was in it. So that gave me a lot of street cred coming in. It was hard but it was cool. It's such a well-oiled machine and you're working with some amazing actors like Gandolfini and Imperioli and of course, Edie. You know, what can you say? So it's a little intimidating because they've been working on their characters and certainly know them better than me. But like any actor who I think is good, they're always looking to refine and they always want to work and collaborate. So all of those people do in their own way. It was a treat for me to work with them.

MJ: This being the last season, are things really serious on set? Is it all business or are people joking around, having fun, keeping it light?

DL: Honestly, it's more about the endurance test. Those seasons are really hard and The Sopranos in an amazing way, are completely obsessed, from David Chase down to the PA, to the assistant camera, to the DD, to the gaffer, everyone wants to make the show really great. So that takes a lot of wear and tear, I think, mentally. You know you're making movies, that's how each show is. You're making these long, eight-month extended movies. It's not a conscious thing but there is a little bit of "hey, you know the end is coming." But day to day, it's just about doing good work and trying to maintain the stamina to do good work. And everyone's crazy there because I'm crazy and most of the people who I've worked with there are all nuts so we all just get along good.

MJ: Any comment on how the show is getting more political with Vito's story and the discussion about terrorists?

DL: Hey, I don't know where it's going and what I do know I'm not going to tell you but I personally believe that the back eight, the mini-season coming up [in 2007], I think that back eight is gonna be, I'm gonna say the word, "brutal." That's my guess. I don't want David to get mad at me. But I just think it's gonna be brutal. I don't see how it could be anything but. I think this whole season is a big prelude to the last eight episodes.

That thing he said really puts me :onfire:

Fernando

So, did anyone actually see/like last episode? And by anyone I mean cbrad, cine and foma.

So Vito is dead as was expected, it was just a matter of how brutal would be and who would do it; fucking Phil Leotardo, that guy's the most ruthless mother fucker of all, although I wonder if as his crew beat to dead Vito and we see Leotardo moving his fingers was because of remorse or something else. Then that crew guy comes and starts breaking Sil and the other guy's balls, guy got what he deserved.

Many great moments in this ep., maybe my fave of all, at least till I see the last one.

So unless cbrad or cine prove me wrong...just one ep. left!  :yabbse-grin:

Should be brutal, can't wait.

cine

yeah i think this was my favourite so far too. i fuckin' hated vito. got what he deserved too.

this sunday is gonna be amazing.

©brad

Quote from: Cinephile on May 24, 2006, 01:30:47 PMi fuckin' hated vito. got what he deserved too.

got what he deserved why? i mean, i don't like vito either really, but i did grow a little bit of sympathy for him this season.

was a good episode indeed. although i hope the show doesn't revert back to territory it's already covered ad nauseam (tony getting bj's from random tricks, christopher on smack again, AJ being a punk ass).