Spoon: Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga ~ THE BEST ALBUM OF 2007 (So Far)!

Started by modage, February 01, 2005, 10:32:15 PM

Sleuth

I don't know why, but they remind me of the 80s and not in a The Killers Are Trying Really Hard way
they have a pretty bare kind of sound (?) which throws that off

The closest of those listed musicians that matches Spoon is Runhg, Ryahng, oh god, I can't even say it without getting nauseous

Spoon is good though, I am betting you'll like it
I like to hug dogs

Ghostboy

As soon as I picked it up and saw the track listing, I recognized that I Turn The Camera On song, which I've heard a handful of times and kinda liked. So now...I've almost made it through the whole thing so far, and part of me likes it and part of me is kinda bored. It reminds of listening to the Velvet Goldmine soundtrack, where the Placebo stuff is good and all but it really just makes you want to go listen to some vintage Bowie. This is like that for me at the moment.

It's actually really hard for more straightforward rock/pop to impress me these days, but let's see if that whole growing-on-you-thing works.

Quote from: Sleuth
The closest of those listed musicians that matches Spoon is Runhg, Ryahng, oh god, I can't even say it without getting nauseous

That's hilarious (and understandable).

GoneSavage

I Turn My Camera On is like watching a metronome.  I hear nothing but good things about these guys so I hope the other songs on the record are better than that one.

polkablues

I'm a little disappointed.  Not my favorite album of the year so far.  That would be the Stereophonics' "Language, Sex, Violence, Other?"... which itself isn't as good as their last album, "You Gotta Go There To Come Back".

How can a Spoon album not have a single catchy song on it?   :yabbse-undecided:
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

Quote from: polkabluesHow can a Spoon album not have a single catchy song on it?   :yabbse-undecided:
it can't.  see: every song on album.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

I'm trying so hard, I swear to god... I've loved Spoon for so long, I feel I owe it to them.  But this album just feels more like good background music than anything I want to actively listen to.  

Who knows, though.  Maybe it'll sneak up on me, kind of like Bright Eyes' "Lifted" did (I was bored pantsless by that album the first time I listened to it, and now I'm addicted).  I'm not giving up... I just miss songs like "Utilitarian", or "Reservations", or "I Didn't Come Here To Die"... songs that grab you by the balls and squeeze.

Raikus

Quote from: GoneSavageI Turn My Camera On is like watching a metronome.  I hear nothing but good things about these guys so I hope the other songs on the record are better than that one.
If it matters any that's my least favorite song on there. In fact, I think every other song on there is Great to Excellent, but I usually skip Camera when it comes up.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

modage

yeah, it wasnt one of my favorites either but it rocks live.  i have a new appreciation for it now.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

GoneSavage

Quote from: Raikus
Quote from: GoneSavageI Turn My Camera On is like watching a metronome.  I hear nothing but good things about these guys so I hope the other songs on the record are better than that one.
If it matters any that's my least favorite song on there. In fact, I think every other song on there is Great to Excellent, but I usually skip Camera when it comes up.
Thanks, Raikus.  I've seen a lot of adoration for this band over the past few years and had never made the effort to seek them out.  The radio station here started playing that song and it just didn't impress me, but I'll take your word and see if anything else of theirs suits me better.

modage

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Raikus

yeah, 'i turn my camera on' is actaully on eof the weaker songs.  i liked it at first b/c its got some cool falsetto singing r&b hip-hopesque thing going for it...its th emost unique son gonth ealbum...but i seriously think the standout tracks are 'i summon you' and 'missoure valentine'...'i turn my camera on' gets old b/c its the same thing over and over....

tpfkabi

i went on a long driving trip and i've had buying this album on the backburner for a while, so i picked it up. first listen through i took it to be a little too straightforward rock. the drums are almost like a metronome and everything is so clean. then after listening to it some more it really sunk into my brain. i also listened to it on headphones the other day and noticed there are a lot of little things sorta burried in the mix.

what spoon album would you recommend next?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

polkablues

Quote from: bigideasi went on a long driving trip and i've had buying this album on the backburner for a while, so i picked it up. first listen through i took it to be a little too straightforward rock. the drums are almost like a metronome and everything is so clean. then after listening to it some more it really sunk into my brain. i also listened to it on headphones the other day and noticed there are a lot of little things sorta burried in the mix.

what spoon album would you recommend next?

"Girls Can Tell".  Their one truly perfect album.  Then "Kill The Moonlight".  If you're still on board at that point, grab "A Series of Sneaks" and "Telefono".

Figure 8

ono

Last summer, after basking in Gimme Fiction's glow long enough, I bought Kill the Moonlight, Girls Can Tell, Love Ways, and later A Series of Sneaks.  After having been acquainted with these guys for over a year, a couple impressions: how are they not more popular?  I Summon You is glorious, and for being rock pop, it should have gotten more attention than it's been given.  It's a great song that should make anyone's ears perk up immediately.  As for the older albums, Kill the Moonlight is okay but somewhat tame.  It does have a few memorable tracks in Stay Don't Go, Paper Tiger, and the ever rockin' Back to the Life.  polka's right, Girls Can Tell is their masterpiece.  So many solid songs, but only two truly amazing ones: Me and the Bean and the beautiful instrumental This Book Is A Movie.  Despite this, I think overall I'm more fond of Gimme Fiction.

I think A Series of Sneaks is a bit underrated.  An apt title, power rock that comes at you quick and leaves an indelible impression starting with Utilitarian, and then with 30 Gallon Tank and Metal Detektor (my favorite on the album), through to Staring at the Board, No You're Not, Quincy Punk Episode and Laffitte Don't Fail Me Now.  The Love Ways EP is also incredibly solid, with all tracks worthy of more than just a few listens.

Recently, I got a hold of Telephono and Soft Effects EP, and was amused but not blown away by anything yet.  All of their stuff takes a while to grow on you and must be given a chance.  From Telephono, Not Turning Off and Nefarious are standouts (not to mention Nefarious is darkly hilarious).  Soft Effects hasn't really gelled for me yet, though Mountains to Sound is a solid opening to their typical hey, look-what-we-can-do EP.