Spoon: Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga ~ THE BEST ALBUM OF 2007 (So Far)!

Started by modage, February 01, 2005, 10:32:15 PM

Stefen

Well, it's up on OiNK, so I'm sure it's gonna spread like wildfire. Downloading now.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

sickfins

just so you fellas know, mr. brion only produced 'the underdog', everything else is spoon's usual guy...what's his face.

I Love a Magician

A lot of these songs sound like a mix between "Was It You" and songs like "The Way We Get By" or "Take the Fifth". Only song I skip is "The Ghost of You Lingers". Favorites so far are "You Got Yr Cherry Bomb" and "Don't You Evah".

modage

Quote from: I Love a Magician on May 16, 2007, 10:41:09 PM
Favorites so far are "You Got Yr Cherry Bomb"
YES.  I think I listened to that song 30 times yesterday.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

last days of gerry the elephant

Quote from: modage on February 25, 2005, 10:30:36 PM
Quote from: ono mo cuishleWhat'd you like, what'd I miss?
you missed their last two excellent albums Girls Can Tell and 2002's minimalist masterpiece Kill The Moonlight.  try tracking those down.  i'm just now hearing this new one today, but it grows with each listen, i've heard it through about 3 times now.  theyre a pretty awesome band and i've found that most of my favorite bands/artists today, none of them 'blew me away' on first listen.  for me, some of the most interesting music takes many listens to absorb, because you keep finding new things.  wilco and arcade fire would be two examples of this.  i think spoon are fairly accessible though and very catchy.  so just keep putting it on and i imagine it will grow.

modage I just took your advice from some time ago about this band (and the birth of the new album), I must say most of it is just great. Thank you people.

Stefen

I've been listening to it since it leaked. It's good, but not great. It's just a cute, fun, short record. It lacks the creativeness of Gimme Fiction. You will not find ANY epic tracks on Gax4 like Gimme Fiction had with The Beast And Dragon, Adored and My Mathematical Mind.

It's a summer record. It's a definite step backwards, but in a good way, since it matches their earlier work well, but doesn't surpass it.

Britt Daniel is an amazing musician though.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

I Love a Magician

i agree with everything you wrote. it's kind of a let down because gimme fiction is so huge and all, but i really like pretty much all of the songs.

tpfkabi

i heard/watched Ghost from a Pitchfork link.
didn't do too much for me.

i picked up KTM not too long ago.
i think my favorite of the last 3 is Girls. KTM isn't bad, but i don't get why they didn't flesh out the super short songs on side 2.
anyone know what's going on in track 4?
surely his voice is sped up or he sucked on hellium before each take.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Stefen

I Love a Magician

Quote from: bigideas on May 21, 2007, 07:33:04 PManyone know what's going on in track 4?

i don't know what you're talkin about but that shit is awesome. favorite song on the album.

tpfkabi

Quote from: I Love a Magician on May 21, 2007, 08:29:50 PM
Quote from: bigideas on May 21, 2007, 07:33:04 PManyone know what's going on in track 4?

i don't know what you're talkin about but that shit is awesome. favorite song on the album.
CD.

his voice sounds higher and different than on any other track of theirs i've heard (to me anyways). sorta like McCartney and When I'm Sixty-Four - it was sped up.

Stefen

tpfkabi

Quote from: Stefen on May 21, 2007, 10:19:11 PM
YOUR JUST NOT LISTENING TO IT RITE.

i listen critically and even studied recording music and dabble in it, so i know some of the tricks of the trade.

Quote from: bigideas on May 22, 2007, 04:23:46 PM

i listen critically and even studied recording music and dabble in it, so i know some of the tricks of the trade.

can you give me some tips on how to listen rite?  pretty please with a cherry on top.
context, context, context.

tpfkabi

Quote from: cronopio on May 22, 2007, 06:51:30 PM
Quote from: bigideas on May 22, 2007, 04:23:46 PM

can you give me some tips on how to listen rite?  pretty please with a cherry on top.

i'll take this as the sarcasm it is, but try this:

if you have headphones try to listen to the track and really single out the main vocal.

before i ever messed with recording i never thought about all the types of reverbs, eq, etc, that are used all the time. beforehand i always thought John Lennon had an odd voice and it wasn't until later that i learned he tried to bury his voice a lot so he would put it through different stuff.

for instance with Kill the Moonlight. on the first track - notice the reverb or echo effect on britt's vocals? every time i hear that i think of richard ashcroft/the verve and the urban hymns album because they use a very similar reverb.