Spring Breakers: Second Coming

Started by MacGuffin, May 06, 2014, 09:20:31 AM

MacGuffin

Spring Breakers sequel announced
Source: Total Film

Are you ready for The Second Coming?

Production company Wild Bunch has announced its Cannes slate, and a Spring Breakers sequel is on the schedule.

And it sounds just a litle bit insane. Hopefully in the good way.

Spring Breakers: The Second Coming sees the bikinied gangsters doing battle with an extreme militant Christian sect that attempts to convert them.

Scripted by Trainspotting author Irvine Welsh and directed by Jonas Åkerlund (Spun, The Prodigy's 'Smack My Bitch Up' video), we've got a feeling this one could be a tiny bit controversial.

"It's not a direct sequel although there are allusions to some of the characters in the original," says Wild Bunch co-chief Vincent Maraval. He also said that there will be a mix of new and old cast in the follow-up, without confirming whether the four original leading ladies - Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Benson, Rachel Korine or Selena Gomez - or James Franco would be returning.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jenkins

well. i can't think of another reason i might maybe see what's being described, so. sooo

serious q: spun, the movie spun, who has seen it recently? please describe the experience. my memory of it is sour, and it doesn't have a lasting rep that i know about from either movie or drug people. i'm ok with the director being brought back around for this movie i'd call a good shot at a second chance,

just, worried he might suck at his second chance. spun and a prodigy video, that's what he's known for

tbh section: this idea is way more solid than the person directing the idea, and writing the idea, wtf is irvine welsh doing around, and i'm trying to be positive here but this feels destined for failure in a notfunny way, in a "we'll make the horror sequel because we know you'll go, and we'll barely try our best" way, and i secretly think this idea also sucks

Reel

Quote from: jenkins<3 on May 06, 2014, 01:40:46 PM
spun and a prodigy video, that's what he's known for

The prodigy video is awesome thooouuuuggggghhhhh.

I don't like the idea. "An extreme christian militant sect?"  Like the Branch Davidians? Where we goin here, people? Is this a fun party movie or a sequel to Red State?

"we'll make the horror sequel because we know you'll go, and we'll barely try our best way"

Yeah, this feels like Cabin Fever 2. Just the milking of a concept without the proper people to execute it. This will be a tacky, crude rendition, with no vanessa hudgens

jenkins

Quote from: Reelist on May 06, 2014, 02:27:31 PM
spun and a prodigy video, that's what he's known for

The prodigy video is awesome thooouuuuggggghhhhh.

oh dang. it is

(there's a strip club at 3:10, and why are you watching this at work anyway)

diggler

That sounds terrible, can't wait.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

i like red state 2 and cabin fever 2 as a comparison, but y'all are missing the obvious one:

REVERSE BAD LIEUTENANT

MacGuffin

After James Franco's 'Spring Breakers 2′ slam, producers fire back
Source: EW

James Franco talks a lot about artistic integrity and vision. But there are at least a few people who are publicly calling BS on the actor: The producers he slammed for making a sequel to Spring Breakers without his consent.

Let's rewind: Earlier this month, production company Wild Bunch announced it was working with Muse Productions, which was behind the first film, on Spring Breakers: The Second Coming. "It's not a direct sequel, although there are allusions to some of the characters in the original," said Wild Bunch co-chief Vincent Maraval. The follow-up, written by Irvine Welsh (Trainspotting) and set to be directed by Jonas Akerlund (Spun, Small Apartments), will chronicle a new group of partyers battling an extreme militant Christian sect attempting to convert them.

On Wednesday, Franco — who starred as wannabe thug Alien in the first film – slammed the idea of a sequel on Instagram, saying it was being done without the blessing of him or Spring Breakers writer/director Harmony Korine.

"The original was wholly Harmony's creation and these producers are capitalizing on that innovative film to make money on a weak sequel," Franco wrote. "I want everyone to know that whoever is involved in the sequel is jumping on board a poison ship. It will be a terrible film, with a horrible reason d'être: to make money off someone else's creativity."

Franco added: "I'm speaking up for Harmony and his original vision and for any creative person who cares about preserving artistic integrity."

And now the Spring Breakers 2 producers are firing back.

"Franco is a sequel junkie in his own reality, embracing the too big to fail studio system that is his meal ticket to dilettante artistic side shows, while he glibly attacks real independent filmmakers dedicated to independent points of view," Chris Hanley told Variety. He said the next Spring Breakers film will make the first one look like "some Disney girls trying to get a new lease on life."

Jordan Gertner of Hero Entertainment also served as a producer on the original film, and has a hand in the sequel as well. He told Variety that Muse and Hero "have all rights to all prequels, sequels, remakes," and animation spin-offs of Spring Breakers. "We had a great relationship with Harmony Korine and now we're exploring a new incarnation of Spring Breakers," Gertner added.

Looks like it's your move, Franco.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

diggler

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 16, 2014, 05:02:31 PM
After James Franco's 'Spring Breakers 2′ slam, producers fire back
Source: EW

He said the next Spring Breakers film will make the first one look like "some Disney girls trying to get a new lease on life."

...because shitting on your source material really helps sell your movie.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

wilder

Pussy Riot in Talks to Star in 'Spring Breakers' Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)
via Variety

James Franco might be about to find out how Vladimir Putin feels.

After the dustup over Franco's Instagram attacks on the upcoming "Spring Breakers" sequel — which is happening without star Franco or director Harmony Korine — the producers of the new film are now dropping a bombshell on the already heated debate over artistic rights and creative intentions.

Franco may now have to tussle with no less a force for creative rights than Pussy Riot.

Performance artists Pussy Riot (a.k.a. Nadezhda "Nadya" Tolokonnikova and Maria "Masha" Alyokhina) are coming to Cannes this week to meet with "Spring Breakers: Second Coming" director Jonas Akerlund and producers Chris and Roberta Hanley, and Jordan Gertner. The political activists were jailed in their Russian homeland for two years after performing an anti-Putin punk prayer at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior in Moscow.

"Our director is coming in especially to meet Nadya and Maria to discuss being in the movie," Chris Hanley told Variety. "The fiction of 'Spring Breakers' never met with the reality of Pussy Riots — until now."

"Since there are some suggestions in the reporting on 'Second Coming' that it is a 'weak' or 'lame' sequel, the new Irvine Welsh screenplay has the strongest feminine voice of the 'Spring Breakers' characters so far. And Nadya and Maria of Pussy Riot are a powerful new voice of world feminism. We are all into radical innovations."

Tolokonnikova and Alyokhina are scheduled to arrive with Cinema for Peace Foundation chairman Jaka Bizilj on May 22 for three days of meetings, which may also serve as a high-profile boost to Cannes Fest topper Thierry Fremaux's efforts this year to see the fest raise the profiles of women artists. Fremaux has been widely criticized in past years over the paucity of female voices in the fest lineup.

Responding again to Franco's assertions that the new project would be "horrible," Hanley said "Pussy Riot somehow came into being concomitant with the original 'Spring Breakers,' which was pure coincidence. The original 'Spring Breakers' theme was the plying away of the facade of a new American dream of becoming rich by any means."

"'Second Coming' addresses societal limitations, women having a voice to decide on the rights of their own bodies against moral limitations by religious, militant cult groups, in a spring break setting, where our 'Spring Breakers' girls take power into their own hands once again!"

MacGuffin

Pussy Riot Denies Talks to Star in 'Spring Breakers' Sequel

After a confusing day of assertions, reports, updates and unofficial denials from parties close to Nadya Tolokonnikova and Masha Alekhina, members of the Russian social activism and arts group, Pussy Riot, the young human rights heroines have definitively dashed any talk of their playing any role in the upcoming film "Spring Breakers: The Second Coming."

After Variety first reported the efforts of the film's producers to connect with Pussy Riot for discussions, insiders close to the duo quickly contacted Variety and insisted that the meeting was not taking place, but also noted "if Pussy Riot should decide to come to Cannes...we will be happy to let you know."

Variety then sought official clarification of the confusing situation and multiple attempts to reach either of the women or an official contact of the unorthodox music artists, who served two years in prison in Russia for their anti-Putin administration protests, finally bore fruit this evening.

Inge Colsen of Pussy Riot's public relations firm, Girlie Action, issued what she termed "the official statement" on the duo's behalf. It is both short and not very sweet for the "Breakers" filmmakers who were hoping to initiate a dialogue with them about the project when it appeared possible that the two women might be attending Cannes this week. The statement reads: "This news is ridiculous. It's not true we're in talks with 'Spring Breakers' producers and we have no plans to do that."

So far there's no word about this latest development from either the Pussy Riot's chief critic, Vladimir Putin, or James Franco, whose anti "Breakers" sequel screed on Instagram earlier this week started fanning the publicity winds on the film across the Croissette in Cannes where Wild Bunch is actively promoting the film.

Skeleton FilmWorks

wilder

'Spring Breakers' Digital Series In The Works
via The Playlist

Back in 2014, a feature film sequel was announced, but it never went anywhere, and likely wasn't helped by Franco openly condemning the project, especially since it had neither his nor Korine's consent or involvement. We'll see what his feelings are a few more years on, because now a digital series based on "Spring Breakers" is in the works — again, without any input from Korine or Franco.

The new streaming service Blackpills, which will specialize in short form digital content, is developing the new project, and casting is underway. Producers Chris Hanley ("American Psycho," "The Virgin Suicides," "Buffalo '66") and Fernando Sulichin ("Snowden," "Gimme Danger") have credits that speak for themselves, but again, we'll see what Korine and co. have to say about this.