The 85th Annual Academy Awards

Started by MacGuffin, August 02, 2012, 07:59:51 PM

MacGuffin

Academy Eyes Jimmy Fallon as Oscar Host (Report)
Lorne Michaels would serve as the broadcast's producer.
Source: THR

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has been eyeing Jimmy Fallon as a possible host for the 85th Academy Awards, which would be produced by Lorne Michaels, the executive producer of NBC's Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.

However, ABC, which broadcasts the Oscars, has expressed reservations, according to the Los Angeles Times, which first reported on the possibility of Fallon hosting. Although ABC can not veto the Academy's choice of Oscar host, the Times report said the network doesn't want to see the Oscar broadcast, a high-visibility platform, given over to Fallon, who competes with ABC's own late night host Jimmy Kimmel.

Fallon demonstrated his hosting skills as host of the 62nd Primetime Emmy Awards in 2010.

Traditionally, the Academy president selects the producer of the Oscar broadcast, and then that producer, in turn, chooses the host. The Academy just elected a new president, Hawk Koch, on Tuesday night to serve as its president for the coming year, and Koch said one of his first orders of business will be lining up a producer and host. But discussions about the producing and hosting assigningments had already been begun by outgoing president Tom Sherak during the last months of his term. It was not immediately clear whether, now that Koch has stepped in, discussions with Michaels and Fallon will continue.

The Academy did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

ask him when neon will start posting again.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Seth MacFarlane to Host the 2013 Oscars
The "Family Guy" creator and "Ted" director will take the stage for the 85th Academy Awards.
Source: THR

Seth MacFarlane will take his first turn as host of the Oscars, the Academy announced on Monday.

The show will be produced by Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, who said, "We are thrilled to have Seth MacFarlane host the Oscars. His performing skills blend perfectly with our ideas for making the show entertaining and fresh. He will be the consummate host, and we are so happy to be working with him."

MacFarlane, who has built an animation empire behind his comedies Family Guy, American Dad and The Cleveland Show, had a blockbuster film debut this summer with Ted, in which he voiced an animated stuffed bear in a live action world that starred Mark Wahlberg and Mila Kunis. The film took in $420 million worldwide.

He also hosted the first episode of the new season of Saturday Night Live, and has released an album of music standards, called Music is Better than Words.

Last year, Billy Crystal returned as host of the Oscars after Eddie Murphy stepped down, following Brett Ratner's exit as producer.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

A lot of people are complaining about this. I'm going to go ahead and say that he is PERFECT for this job.
I don't like Family Guy or The Cleveland Dad or whatever other cartoons he makes, but I think the dude is as charming as hell (when he isn't doing those voices to pander to his stupid fans). He is a ham and he seems like a nice guy and that's just damn perfect for hosting the Oscars.

polkablues

Yep. No matter how you feel about his skills as a writer/producer, he's an extraordinarily talented performer.  Besides, it's hosting the Oscars, we're not talking about electing the guy president. He just needs to be pleasantly diverting for (god willing) two-and-a-half hours.
My house, my rules, my coffee

©brad

Yeah I have no problem with this. I just hope he doesn't do the entire broadcast in Peter Griffin's voice. Does enough of the Oscar-viewing audience even know who he is though?

Jeremy Blackman

I approve. Also, Family Guy hate continually baffles me.

polkablues

It's gotten pretty unbearable in the last few years, but I used to really enjoy it.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on October 02, 2012, 04:53:56 PM
I approve. Also, Family Guy hate continually baffles me.

It baffles you?  I'm curious what you find redeeming in the show. 

Jeremy Blackman

I knew I shouldn't have brought that up. Yes, it's not very consistent these days, and I only watch episodes occasionally. But I can't imagine actively disliking the show. I don't like McFarlane's other shows, but Family Guy has always worked for me. And it hasn't changed that much. Some episodes are really good, and even the duds have moments of brilliance.

Reel

Normally I would congratulate you on your 8000th post, but sorry. I can't dude.

Jeremy Blackman

See, that's what I'm talking about. Content-free criticisms are frustrating beyond words.

polkablues

The argument I've always hated was the mutual-exclusivity claim, which seems to come up a lot regarding Family Guy.  "You're either a Simpsons/South Park/Archer/Clerks: The Animated Series/Whatever fan or you're a Family Guy fan."  Fuck you, I contain multitudes.

Kal

Problem is that they find guys like him and then neuter them before going on stage, so the watered-down version of his jokes are not funny at all.

It's what happened with Chris Rock and other hosts, and why Ricky Gervais was so offensive to everyone at the GG, even though he was as soft as he's ever been.

socketlevel

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on October 02, 2012, 07:12:15 PM
See, that's what I'm talking about. Content-free criticisms are frustrating beyond words.

so are content-free animated shows.
the one last hit that spent you...