the Lego movie

Started by Pubrick, June 19, 2013, 03:53:53 AM

Pubrick

Trailer:

Release date: Feb 7, 2014.

Animation by Aussie company Animal Logic, original title Lego: the Piece of Resistance.

Anyway it's by the dudes who did Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, so it's a must watch.
under the paving stones.

Drenk

New trailer!

I love it. Amazing indeed.
Ascension.

©brad

Oh man I'm excited.

I actually just got handed a brief for a Honda/Lego commercial and I get to use any of these characters. I'm competing against 4 other teams so it's not a shoe-in but it'd be so fun to play in this world. So maybe the Batmobile is really a Honda in disguise? Eh, first thought... 

polkablues

This movie was a delight. Lord and Miller are the most consistent comedy filmmakers in the world at the moment.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Alexandro

yes, this is hilarious. also, it has awesome action sequences. I was completely off guard, since i thought it was going to be kind of lame. Half way through I was wishing I had taken some LSD.

picolas

(from my letterboxd)

visual perfection. i really believed these legos with all of my being. this may be the first truly photo-real cg movie ever. it's also filled with colours and shapes and perfect/impossible camera moves every few seconds etc etc.

the lego movie captures the true spirit of playing with legos. it's weird, boundless... it doesn't quite make sense. batman and a mecha pirate can exist in the same room. and because it's all cg, they can do everything you only dreamed of them doing as a kid. this comes at a cost, though. so much lego logic is spontaneous/made up, and i felt a lack of stakes or dramatic continuity. i was never quite sure about the consequences of any given action. i found the story and tone kind of overwhelming because it could go anywhere, and be anything.

it's a ton of fun. so much fun it's hard to take Anything seriously. double-edged sword.

polkablues

Quote from: picolas on February 22, 2014, 10:49:47 AM
(from my letterboxd)

I can't believe you would just flaunt your infidelity that brazenly.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Slick Shoes

Keep hearing good things about this movie. Can't wait to see it.

picolas

letterboxd sidebar: i think the problem most people have with it is trying to catalogue every movie they've ever seen, which would be fucking nuts. i made a solemn vow to only log the films i watched POST-letterboxd when i joined. it has changed the way i watch movies, and i seriously recommend everyone here get on it.

Lottery

Good stuff. Still prefer Cloudy through. Rather astonishing visuals, great job by the animation and art staff.
Didn't think they could pull this off when I first heard about it.

Lottery

Even more enjoyable on rewatch. I guess one of the characteristics of Lord and Miller (for better or worse) is the insanely rapid pace at which things happen, sometimes the gags kinda get lost in the mix.  The humour comes across as even more unconventional than the the Cloudy films and 21 JS- it's obviously got to do with the way the gags are used (pacing and overall delivery). I think the speed and the absurdist, boundless, kitchen-sink approach to the film kinda lessens the overall dramatic and emotional effect. But really, you watch the film for the ride (but it's a good ride). Lord + Miller's style seems to greatly appeal to modern audiences, I'm not entirely sure how a film like this would be recieved in the early Toy Story days.

Once again, overhwelmingly cool visuals in terms of both art direction and technical brilliance, can't think of many animation films in recent times that match it in quality.

SPOILERS

Also, the kid near the end looks like kid Charlie Kaufman. If this had a sad ending, this would have basically been the perfect origin story for Kaufman and his tortured diorama existentialism.

Ravi

I watched this last night and I absolutely loved it. Such a smart and funny film. The kitchen-sink approach makes it feel like you are playing with the world's largest set of Legos. The animation is was phenomenal, and I liked how they never shied away from the "Lego-ness" of the world. It had the look of sophisticated stop-motion animation, and even things like water, steam, etc. were made of Legos.

MILD SPOILER

Lottery, it's funny you mention Charlie Kaufman, because I was totally reminded of Synecdoche, New York.