(Wes Anderson) Hackman/Murray

Started by cowboykurtis, April 05, 2003, 10:16:24 PM

cowboykurtis

I always thought Bill Murray's character in Rushmore  to be almost the same as Gene Hackman's in Tenenbaums -- same sarcastic/dry outlook on life, same wardrobe, both end up abandoned by thier families and living in a hotel room. Regardless of their shortcomings they seem to be the most indearing characters that you have no choice, but to sympahtize with.
...your excuses are your own...

Derek

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

dufresne

Quote from: cowboykurtisRegardless of their shortcomings they seem to be the most indearing characters that you have no choice, but to sympahtize with.

i agree with this.  moreso for Royal Tenenbaum though.
There are shadows in life, baby.

writedownhere

gosh cowboy. you said it.
although i wouldn't call their outlook on life dry and sarcastic. not for both. and not in similar ways at all.
the only outburst of energy given forth by herman blume was when knocking down the basketball on his way to spy on rosemary.
on the other hand...royal rode on trash dumpsters, played with bb guns, excitedly ran away from a convenience store after stealing from it.

one had spunk where the other had gunk.

yep.

socketlevel

i have more empathy for blume, his is not a story of redemption but rather searching for happiness.
the one last hit that spent you...

ElPandaRoyal

I always thought Royal Tenenbaum was a grown-up Max Fisher. Never Mr. Blume, because Blume doesn't reallydoanything to live his life. He's just a sad man with not enough motivation to do anything. Max, on the other hand, is like Royal - they want something, they go for it, even if it means faking a bicycle accident or a stomach cancer.
Si

Sleuth

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaumI always thought Royal Tenenbaum was a grown-up Max Fisher. Never Mr. Blume, because Blume doesn't reallydoanything to live his life. He's just a sad man with not enough motivation to do anything. Max, on the other hand, is like Royal - they want something, they go for it, even if it means faking a bicycle accident or a stomach cancer.

But I always saw Blume as an older Max who didn't get what he really wanted.  So maybe the Blume and RT connection is that they're different outcomes of Max
I like to hug dogs