The Hype of Soderbergh?

Started by Gold Trumpet, February 24, 2003, 06:52:57 AM

©brad

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetFunny cbr, in that responce he says nothing about the quality of the story. He mentions how it is different it was but nothing about the quality. Also, I was amused when he said he wanted a female protaganist because it reminded me of Jennifer Garner's reasoning for taking the role of whatever super hero girl in daredevil. Also, it doesn't matter if a project is hip or not, it just needs to be good, and John Sayles has made a career of following a path not neccessarily hip and he has made some good films with it and some bad films too. I don't care about revolutionary, but it should be good when compared to movies similiar to it. That just seemed like a no brainer to me when wanting to make a more know story kind of movie.

sadly Pawbloe, you are right. I'll never do it again.

~rougerum

Yeah but Erin Brockovich is good when compared to films in a similar genre. You still haven't given any reasons why you think its not. You've just bashed it because it's not revolutionary.

Gold Trumpet

Well, if you want me to go into detail, I think there are stronger examples of a story where someone is going up against a large corporation like Silkwood and A Civil Action. My belief is just that both of these films are much stronger examples of a story. The only thing I saw that was memorable or worth noting in Erin Brockovich is the plunging neck line Julia Roberts had and the small hope her tits would pop out sometime during the movie. It's just that both these movies came first and would be in comparision to this movie automatically for similiarity on storyline and Erin Brockovich, for me, did nothing to prove it as going farther than both those movies. I remember I was greatly involved with the sudden car crash in the movie, but felt nothing else as the movie progressed into the expected storyline and felt no insight than previous movies or humanity so i was not impressed.

~rougerum

phil marlowe

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThe only thing I saw that was memorable or worth noting in Erin Brockovich is the plunging neck line Julia Roberts had and the small hope her tits would pop out sometime during the movie.

GT is getting nastier and nastier every day...

life_boy

polkablues

I swore to myself I wouldn't do it, but the opportunity to let the world know how I rank Steven Soderbergh's movies is just too once in a lifetime to pass up.   :roll:

sex, lies, etc.: 3/5
Kafka: 3.5/5
King of the Hill: 4/5
Out of Sight: 4.5/5
The Limey: 5/5
Erin Brockovich: 3/5
Traffic: 10/5
Ocean's Eleven: 4/5
Solaris: 4/5

I haven't seen Full Frontal yet (sorry JB).  Lackluster Video only got one copy of it, and I haven't seen it in yet.  Here's my prediction: 3.5/5
My house, my rules, my coffee

Sigur Rós

Traffic was great!! and Oceans Eleven was fun.....but i agree there is a lot of hype sorrounding him!

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Phil Marlowe
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThe only thing I saw that was memorable or worth noting in Erin Brockovich is the plunging neck line Julia Roberts had and the small hope her tits would pop out sometime during the movie.

GT is getting nastier and nastier every day...

Yeah he is getting nastier

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: XixaxDid Harry Knowles eat anyone's balls?

that i can not verify, this much i do know, the day pizza hut came out with its stuffed crust style pizza, he got so excited he accidentally bite off his moustache leaving him with that Abraham Lincoln style beard he sports .

sphinx

i never even thought about what he looked like.

that snl parody was disturbingly accurate