4210 Strand

Started by WorldForgot, September 19, 2017, 04:13:15 PM

WorldForgot

Hola, Xixax!

Thank you for welcoming me into the community ~
I can honestly say you've all inspired me plenty during my first couple months in LA.
Herein I'll be posting my own work/anything related to my Indie Prod Company
4210 Strand

To kick things off I wanna link the only thing I've shot on 35mm FILM (so far).
35mm, on location in Prague, made my junior year at NYU, BRAINWASH ACADEMY an experimental coming-of-age short available online here:

Over on the Vimeo side of the web, we're currently uploading an independent episodic endeavor called PsychAdelic!

DIY Web Series-cum-Psychological Mumblecore, it has MUCH LESS production value than Brainwash, but in terms of emotion I think it sticks the landing with each episode.

1-
EPISODE 1: ENTER THE MYSTIC EYES

2-
EPISODE 2: EARTH TO CLEO

jenkins

then after this shot she puts her lighter in the pocket of her hooded cape, which felt very Bressonian. in its entirety, i thought of Kelly Reichardt and Tom DiCillo. there's a pulse in here which makes me feel how alive you are, and i look forward to you continuing to live, to keep writing and making movies. you just keep going is what you do.

right, it's like a mumblecore Forbidden Zone. the noise at the end of ep 2 was Lynchian in how it caused me to relate to the character experiencing head pains. but anyway i like these episodes from the beginning since they begin with piano.

where does the name 4210 Strand come from? it's an address with personal meaning?

Something Spanish

4210 Strand is Doc's Gordita Beach address in IV, which is actually located in Manhattan Beach. You can see the address in the movie's opening shot. I was in LA last month and had some time to kill, so drove to the beach and felt compelled to light one at that spot. First time in Manhattan Beach, it's a beautiful beach town.

Btw, Good job on the short dude.

WorldForgot

Quote from: jenkins on September 21, 2017, 01:43:49 PM
then after this shot she puts her lighter in the pocket of her hooded cape, which felt very Bressonian. in its entirety, i thought of Kelly Reichardt and Tom DiCillo. there's a pulse in here which makes me feel how alive you are, and i look forward to you continuing to live, to keep writing and making movies. you just keep going is what you do.

Thank you ~ Your projects in prose and publishing have been an inspiration lately in the bounds that are fun, that I'm learning to take more of, in styles of writing. As far as I can tell I cannot stop, and hope to write more about those fun bounds, leaps. It makes me happy you felt life in Brinsworth, much mulled wine and hot cocoa went into weathering the exteriors.

right, it's like a mumblecore Forbidden Zone.

!! If the vibe at all works I am glad, and hopefully each episode offers a variety of style. Getting to watch different friends direct and having a micro-writers group made sleepless nights worth it. In the last few years I've come to understand sleepless nights, is a lot of this series, the sleepless nights, and gratefulness for conversation.

I don't feel that there should be a stigma toward 'mumblecore,' but it was a hard sell getting anyone in the production to agree to that as what this was, and I have heard recently that 'indie' carries its own weight. Hrm. More subgenres, I say!

where does the name 4210 Strand come from? it's an address with personal meaning?

All that Something Spanish covered, and that this Texas boi (me) got to make most of the college productions thanks to friends in SoCal for the post production work. IV always comes up. And there's always laughs, usually there's pizza. If it's up to me from where I send out postcards, it'd be from where Doc lives.

Quote from: Something Spanish on September 22, 2017, 12:49:02 PM
I was in LA last month and had some time to kill, so drove to the beach and felt compelled to light one at that spot.

Right on!
Thank you both~

WorldForgot

OK, Xixax, Three More Episodes for Y'all,
in case you haven't been keeping track (but why would you?)
The latest, Ep 5 IF YOU SAY SO, was directed by WorldForgot/David Raygoza, shot on a blackmagic pocket.

Episode 3, ~
Nick Rasdal's stoner-centric episode of PsychAdelic!

Peek behind the curtain...
into Neil's arena of alchemy...
MP4s pulled from the Mad Scientist's library!
Must be seen to believed!!

EPISODE 4, written by Angie Jones and directed by Daddy himself!

THEN the penultimate episode of PsychAdelic! ~
An episode about admitting when we've hurt our friends and the pictionary-esque nature of memory.
Written by Abi Smith and directed by meself.

jenkins

such lovely illustrations of creativity blooming. can't wait for the final and cheers xx

WorldForgot

And here is the finale!

I truly believe a dance scene makes all the difference.

Thanks to the Xixaxerz who tuned in. To the rest of y'all, thank you for your interest in the thread at all. There's a few short films in my mind, but it'll be 2018 before I can go into production on any of them proper. This thread might sink within The Art Gallery until then.

Until the next postcard from 4210 Strand, thank you all ~

jenkins

very glad to have watched the whole series xx

WorldForgot

My roommate and I make many trips to Manhattan Beach, cuz the dude can shred.

Here's a home-video type Super 8 short we edited together trying to capture the feel of Gordita Beach from the book, updated to 2018--

It exists ... under the paving stones, the beach!

jenkins

WorldForgot

Xixax, my inspiration and my sanity, embedded below iz the new 4210 Strand short, a SUPER 8MM NoHo SLASHER --

This one is a love letter to early LA life/The Grove. jenkz, you recognize the location of those last two scenes, I'm sure, maybe even some of the cast!

All but one of these delightful characters work at the cinema at The Grove. This is slightly a movie about support systems and separation anxiety -- born first from a short-flick concept called FINAL BOY where the Final Girl slasher would be a BURDEN on our Bi-Boy protagonist. Surviving past his friends / outliving them is a scarier thought than being next on the chopping block. It was gonna be too expensive/complicated so I reworked the feelings of social anxiety, that at large coupled with (and why is it distanced? I dunno) adoration for my friendz into something I could shoot At Home and at My Safe Place in the City.

Still not sold on how I ended it, but I know personally what I was working with time-wise, and all post-production was handled by just me so I'm trying not to be so hard on myself. I actually slept in and missed my shift on Halloween Night because I had been awake for like 49 hours editing the color and sound and fainted. Re, the shoutbox convo rn, Eward, KJ, Reelist, everyone, take care, and I send hugz. I love the health thread ~

Idk what it is about the current climate that has me here since as far as I can remember I've had a distrust for our social expectations and environments, but I really really want to etch out a space for myself in genre filmmaking and especially in the sort of joyous thrillers of De Palma/Carpenter and Bigelow's Near Dark, where the genre tropes and the entertainment factor is as important as any themes.

Commissioned by my friend Kazuki Akiba who launched DAYLIGHT INTERACTIVE as a true hub for indie filmmaker showcases, not that blogosphere/click-baity ish that most sites prefer. That's what he's aiming for at least.

"Happiness is such hard work, and it gets harder every day and it can kill you, but
No one wants to be that tacky about it
If you spin fast enough then maybe the broken pieces of your heart will stay together
But something I've seen lately make me doubt it"

Hope y'all dig it. Sending you postcardz from Doc'z place ~

jenkins

WorldForgot

Have loved music videoz all my life and I finally got to create an "official" one <3
Very grateful to get to play within the genrez that inspire me and to contribute to SB'z cyber-queerpunk worldbuilding ~ ~

The premiere write-up compares our visuals to the 80z ... and well, although I was thinking more of Deep Red and Serial Experiments Lain, the night we wrapped third shoot day, we went with SB to Cinematic Void'z screening of BLOW OUT vs INFERNO at the Egyptian. Maybe they're not too off-base... I think it's the colors??
Now StrandedWriter iz part of Xixax too, and for real y'all, I just wanna give my friend propz... his lighting and composition is  :notworthy: imo.

WorldForgot

A spontaneous comedy that was directed + shot by Xixax'z own strandedwriter ~
Back at Gordita Beach, there seem to be eyez everywhere on Adrian WhatzhisFace.

We'll be heading to the Long Beach IndyCar race this weekend to photograph it on Super 8 Ektachrome ✨

WorldForgot

Another one for the same musician, but instead of anime & sci-fi it's a Gregg Araki + Bram Stoker + Paul Morrissey + Queer Anarchy zinez inspired Italian-Supernatural brew... Something like that!

Shot by strandedwriter, the mutherfuggin' best ~

:twisted: