Matthew McConaughey

Started by Mel, January 04, 2014, 06:44:55 AM

Mel

This has to be one of the biggest and most successful carrier turnarounds.  From romcom:

To playing HIV positive:

There are some other actors, who are trying to break into drama right now: Shia LaBeouf, Daniel Radcliffe, Robert Pattinson. Looks like Matthew already did that and we will see him in some interesting productions for long time to come.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

would you like to tell us what that is

Mel

Quote from: 03 on January 05, 2014, 08:52:31 PM
would you like to tell us what that is

Go see "Dallas Buyers Club". Matthew is getting heavyweight and with this performance he prolonged his carrier by some years to come and cemented his position as drama actor. Two years ago, he was still playing hot meat in comedies, which is kinda amusing.

ElPandaRoyal

It's funny because he used to annoy the hell out of me, mostly due to his project choices. Then all of a sudden dude stars in these very good movies, and he's actually great in them, from comedy to drama and to top everything he says The Master is one of his favorite movies. What a career twist. Bravo.
Si

Alexandro

yes. it's not only that he started choosing better movies after tropic thunder, is that he is a standout in all of them.
my favorite so far is Killer Joe. that was crazy.

ElPandaRoyal

Oh yeah. Killer Joe is the shit and it reminded me how great Friedkin is. Dude's really got a style of his own and he influenced a lot of what we see on crime TV shows today. And what's great is that I still have a whole lot of his movies to take a look at.
Si

Mel

Quote from: Alexandro on January 07, 2014, 10:06:26 AM
my favorite so far is Killer Joe. that was crazy.

KFC scene is catalyst, that accelerated his switch more than anything else I guess. This is way out of the comfort zone, which he occupied in so many films before.

"Killer Joe" is my favorite film in which he played. My favorite role of his is in "Mud" - I don't like much film itself to be honest. With this role he touches and revisits upon what he was doing before (somehow parallel to "Unforgiven" and Client Eastwood - don't take that comparison too seriously). It is also showcase, how much dramatic weight he can carry. It also explains for me why he was cast for "Interstellar" by Nolan.

Just Withnail

In this great Hollywood Reporter Roundtable he talks a bit about his switch to more demanding roles. Sorry for not having the precise time, but the whole thing is worth watching, as are most of the other THR roundtables.

Alexandro

Yes, I was a little underwhelmed by Mud, just I was a little underwhelmed by Take Shelter. But the acting, and particularly him, was excellent all around.

Mel

Golden Globes 2014: Matthew McConaughey wins best actor award for "Dallas Buyer's Club".

Same guy as in "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days". I don't think I need to add more.

cine

Quote from: Mel on January 13, 2014, 12:01:05 PM
Golden Globes 2014: Matthew McConaughey wins best actor award for "Dallas Buyer's Club".

Same guy as in "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days". I don't think I need to add more.

i think you do. what exactly is your point?

Lottery

I think he's comparing his earlier, less valuable work to his current commendable work to indicate the total transformation of his career.

classical gas

He showed promise in some earlier roles, but then it seemed he had sold out like so many do.  But uncharacteristically, he seems to have come back around to being an actor again. 

Mel

Quote from: cine on January 13, 2014, 12:25:04 PM
i think you do. what exactly is your point?

He is trying to emulate Robert De Niro's career Benjamin Button-style with success so far.

Lottery

Found this. For visual reference.