What's Woody Allen's most underrated film??

Started by Alexandro, October 09, 2003, 10:01:50 AM

SoNowThen

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaum
Quote from: SoNowThenSo basically we can all agree that dreamworks ruined Woody, yes?

In a sense, yes. Only because his Dreamworks movies were not that great (haven't seen Anything Else yet). But I don't think that it's directly Dreamworks fault here. I mean... nobody tells a legend like Woody Allen what movies he shoud make, right? I mean... right? Not even Spielberg. I think he makes the movies he wants. It just so happened that Woody was under a Dreamworks contract when he decided to make some funny movies.

But doesn't anybody else find it a little suspect that this guy who doesn't like being in the public eye is all of a sudden out doing promotions for his latest films, when he's with DREAMWORKS. But hey, you get in bed with certain people, and there always is a price to pay. For Woody, I guess it was some shit films...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SHAFTR

# of Woody Allen films I have seen is very slim...actually it is 1.

But can Annie Hall ever be over-rated?  It's so great.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: SHAFTR# of Woody Allen films I have seen is very slim...actually it is 1.

But can Annie Hall ever be over-rated?  It's so great.

Fuck no..... it can't be overrated. I won't allow anyone to call it overrated :P
Si

cine

Quote from: SoNowThenBut hey, you get in bed with certain people, and there always is a price to pay.
So basically we can also all agree that Spielberg wasn't that great in the sack with his Woody.

Quote from: SHAFTRBut can Annie Hall ever be over-rated?
No. It's a great movie... And, hey, it even beat Star Wars at the Oscars.
But do yourself a favour and see more Woody Allen (Manhattan, Hannah and Her Sisters, and Bananas is a good start).

SoNowThen

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: SoNowThenBut hey, you get in bed with certain people, and there always is a price to pay.
So basically we can also all agree that Spielberg wasn't that great in the sack with his Woody.

Touche.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: RoyalTenenbaum
Quote from: SoNowThenSo basically we can all agree that dreamworks ruined Woody, yes?

In a sense, yes. Only because his Dreamworks movies were not that great (haven't seen Anything Else yet). But I don't think that it's directly Dreamworks fault here. I mean... nobody tells a legend like Woody Allen what movies he shoud make, right? I mean... right? Not even Spielberg. I think he makes the movies he wants. It just so happened that Woody was under a Dreamworks contract when he decided to make some funny movies.

But doesn't anybody else find it a little suspect that this guy who doesn't like being in the public eye is all of a sudden out doing promotions for his latest films, when he's with DREAMWORKS. But hey, you get in bed with certain people, and there always is a price to pay. For Woody, I guess it was some shit films...

My brother thinks he's in some sort of financial trouble and that's why he's been making comedies and working for Dreamworks and promoting his films... If that's true, that's not a great position for an artist to be in...
Si

mutinyco

His promotions have nothing to do with DreamWorks, per se. They obviously liked him or they wouldn't have made a 3 picture deal with him. They had him doing promotions -- and I think he was more than willing -- because HIS MOVIES DON"T MAKE MONEY!
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: mutinycoHis promotions have nothing to do with DreamWorks, per se. They obviously liked him or they wouldn't have made a 3 picture deal with him. They had him doing promotions -- and I think he was more than willing -- because HIS MOVIES DON"T MAKE MONEY!

Yeah, and since Small Time Crooks made money (not much, but it made some), they're just trying to make the same with the other movies. But Allen movies don't make money a long time ago and he never used to promote them anyway. He always said that he didn't like to tell people what movies they were supposed to see.
Si

mutinyco

Another thing we need to remember is that the general public lost their taste for Woody with the whole Soon Yi episode. Husbands and Wives came out in the middle of that so people expected it to make money, but it did the same amount as usual. He's just kinda...box office poison.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Alethia

yeah, whenever i talk about how great he is, people always say "yeah, he was funny, but I just can't get past the whole molestation thing."  

anger.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: ewardyeah, whenever i talk about how great he is, people always say "yeah, he was funny, but I just can't get past the whole molestation thing."  

anger.

Well, that doesn't really happen when I talk about him. Everything they say is: "His films are so boring and stupid". Those fuckers...
Si