TOP TEN - 2003!!!!!

Started by bonanzataz, December 28, 2003, 07:15:25 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: taz.i'm insanely jealous of everybody that got to see the cremaster movies. it was playing right by me, too and i just let it slip away.

At least it's Netflixable.

bonanzataz

NO, JEREMY, IT'S NOT!

the only thing they released was a thirty minute segment from cremaster 3.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Jeremy Blackman

Oh, well, that's what I meant.

cine

I STILL haven't seen In America, the House of Sand and Fog, or American Splendor :(  BUT I have now edited my list with the movies I DID see.

1. Lost in Translation
2. Man on the Train
3. Finding Nemo
4. Elephant
5. Mystic River
6. Kill Bill
7. Whale Rider
8. Matchstick Men
9. Man Without a Past
10. The Station Agent

Looks better than 2001 to me. :wink:

Jeremy Blackman

I have no idea when I'll be able to see Elephant, which is just killing me... what makes it worse is I almost saw it. And American Splendor has to wait until February. I guess it's not that bad, though.

modage

Quote from: Cinephile2003 has been the best year of the 2000's. End of story.

the worst year since 2000.  this year blew hard, with the exception of...

1. kill bill: volume one
2. city of god
3. lost in translation

4. finding nemo
5. 21 grams
6. lord of the rings: return of the king
7. peter pan
8. cold mountain
9. seabiscuit
10. pirates of the carribean

honorable mentions: big fish, matchstick men, the last samurai, mystic river, intolerable cruelty
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Derek237

1. Lost In Translation

2. Matchstick Men

3. Narc

4. Mystic River

5. Finding Nemo

6. Kill Bill Vol. 1

7. Pirates Of The Carribean

8. Big Fish

9. Lord Of The Rings: ROTK

10. The Good Thief

Gamblour.

I'm gonna see a marathon of Big Fish, Cold Mtn, 21 Grams and House of Sand and Fog tomorrow, then I'll be able to post a list.
WWPTAD?

Pas

Quote from: themodernage02

the worst year since 2000.  this year blew hard, with the exception of...

Thank you

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: themodernage02

the worst year since 2000.  this year blew hard

I think 2002 may have been better...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Quote from: GoneSavageTime takes a Cigarette - David Bowie reference right?

correct, from the song "Rock & Roll Suicide."

Gamblour.

1. Kill Bill
2. The Animation Show
3. LOTR: ROTK
4. 21 Grams
5. Lost in Translation
6. Bad Santa
7. X2
8. Pirates of the Caribbean
9. Big Fish
10. House of Sand and Fog

Honorable mentions (aka 10 is not enough): Cold Mountain, Elf, Intolerable Cruelty, A Mighty Wind, T3, The Italian Job.

Edit: This list was without seeing: Elephant, Station Agent, American Splendor, In America, Whale Rider, Matchstick Men, et al.
WWPTAD?

MrBurgerKing

I saw the movie IN AMERICA and it made me cry like a baby. I think it was pretty touching flick, I'll probably own it on DVD (I also have Sheridan's other movie IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER). Anyway, I'd put it towards the top of the list. I guess if I have to compare it to a cheeseburger, it would have to be the new bacon BK burger. Fast food chains keep introducing all these new burgers, and they're all so dissapointing, then finally I munch on a BK bacon burger and I've gotten what I wanted -- satisfaction. I don't know though, I'm cynical about it because of the fact that I hadn't seen any previews on it. Like P said, maybe if I saw the trailers and sat in the hype, the movie would turn to dissapointment by betraying my preconceived notions. Or maybe I'm just a prick who likes bacon burgers? Who knows. Here are my favorites from the year, I still need to see 21 GRAMS, BIG FISH and maybe ELEPHANT.
*in america
*dogville (I ordered this puppy on DVD. I'd say it's a good buy)
*return of the king - my favorite aspect of the whole lord of the rings journey was the frodo and sam adventure. It makes me want to go on my own adventure..it's dissapointing though that my biggest adventure was getting someone else's mail in my mail box and going to their address to return it. Actually I accidently opened one of the letters thinking it was mine, but I threw that one away so I wouldn't look like some idiot. In retrospect, I wish there was some cash in it, but it was just a holiday card with a signature.  
*lost in translation (I feel like a prick putting this up on my "list" because I didn't fall in love with it like everyone else, but what else is there? I guess 28 days later would work.)
*28 days (edit-LATER)works

modage

Quote from: nixthis is tenative:

1. Lost in Translation
2. Elephant
3. American Splendor
4. The secret Lives of Dentists
5. Kill Bill Vol. 1
6. Irreversible
7. Liya 4-Ever
8. The House of Sand and Fog
9. All The Real Girls
10. The Man Without a Past
wow, someone lives at the arthouse.  do you have something against 'hollywood' movies or what?

Quote from: GhostboyI personally think it has. Or maybe it's as good as 2001, but the quality has been evenly spread out. I look at all the movies that didn't make my top ten list but came close...Man On The Train, Whale Rider, Finding Nemo, Raising Victor Vargas, Irreversible, Bad Santa, Big Fish, X2, The Fog Of War, etc....and that's excluding most of the popcorn movies I had a blast at, like Pirates Of The Carribbean....just a whole lot of goodness, all around.
here is what i see...

punch-drunk love, road to perdition, minority report, solaris, CQ, about schmidt. adaptation, about a boy, gangs of new york, i am trying to break your heart. lord of the rings: the two towers. catch me if you can. lilo and stitch. the 25th hour, the hours, moonlight mile, chicago, the ring, spider-man, bowling for columbine, the pianist, insomnia, y tu mama tambien, harry potter & the chamber of secrets, ice age, star wars episode II: attack of the clones, confessions of a dangerous mind, panic room,  igby goes down, far from heaven, frailty, 8 mile, signs, one hour photo, the good girl

the royal tenenbaums, moulin rouge, memento, amelie, donnie darko, the lord of the rings: fellowship of the ring, a.i.: artificial intelligence, mulholland drive, vanilla sky, the man who wasn't there, oceans 11, harry potter and the sorcerors stone, ghost world, the others, snatch, black hawk down, monsters inc., blow, made, wet hot american summer, from hell, zoolander, spy game

this year i can barely find a dozen movie that i really really liked.  i'm not saying all  of these are fantastic, but damn, i have trouble finding near as many movies i can even say i 'enjoyed' this year.  i am embarrased so many movies that i had problems with still ended up being as high as they did for me (finding nemo: one of my LEAST favorite pixar movies, 21 grams: didnt enjoy it nearly as much as amores perros or as much as i thought i might for that matter, return of the king: some major problems with that too, etc.)  2001 and 2002 there were tons of movies i wished could make my list of top 20 but didnt have room for. this year blew hard.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

I think the point is that this is a good decade.