TOP TEN 2000

Started by modage, May 12, 2003, 12:58:35 PM

The Silver Bullet

Entirely aside from the quality of the films. 'Zactly.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Ernie

I think 2000 was a great year.

-almost famous
-george washington
-meet the parents
-o brother, where art thou?
-remember the titans (underrated.)
-traffic
-wonder boys
-you can count on me

I really like your list Silver Bullet...don't know why, I just love it. I agree with a lot of it...it makes me like About Schmidt more for some reason....I'm going to buy it.

I haven't even seen Dancer in the Dark (it's on my vcr right now on tape actually) or The Quiet American or The Pianist. I can't fucking wait to see The Pianist. I might see it this weekend if I can. The wait for dvd is painful.

The Silver Bullet

The Pianist was great. Not entirely what I expected, mind you. I don't know what I expected. I remember sitting there thinking that it would make for a damned fine triple feature if grouped with Schindler's List and La Vita e Bella.
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.

Pedro

Quote from: The Silver BulletThe Pianist was great. Not entirely what I expected, mind you. I don't know what I expected. I remember sitting there thinking that it would make for a damned fine triple feature if grouped with Schindler's List and La Vita e Bella.
The pianist was the best movie of last year.

The Silver Bullet

Fourth best. Wonderful though, yes.
  • A hare.

MrBurgerKing

so wait, you're saying Chicago was in pre-production and didn't get a nudge until the success of Moulin Rouge?

The Silver Bullet

I believe it was a factor of sorts, yes...
  • A hare.

Holden Pike

1. Dancer in the Dark[/b][/color][/size]
2. Wonder Boys[/b][/color][/size]
3. Shadow of the Vampire[/b][/size]
4. O Brother, Where Art Thou?[/b][/color][/size]
5. Requiem for a Dream[/b][/color][/size]
6. Love's Labour's Lost[/b][/color][/size]
7. Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai[/b][/color][/size]
8. Quills[/b][/color][/size]
9. State & Main[/b][/color][/size]
10. Traffic[/b][/color][/size]
11. High Fidelity[/b][/color][/size]
12. Best in Show[/b][/color][/size]
13. Girl on the Bridge[/b][/color][/size]
14. Waking the Dead[/b][/color][/size]
15. Return to Me[/b][/color][/size]
16. Jesus' Son[/b][/color][/size]
17. Erin Brockovich[/b][/color][/size]
18. Nurse Betty[/b][/color][/size]
19. You Can Count on Me[/b][/size][/color]
20. Bamboozled[/b][/size][/color]
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream, it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film."
- Frank Capra

Gold Trumpet

1.) George Washington
2.) Traffic
3.) The Cell
4.) Amores Perros
5.) Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
6.) Wonder Boys
7.) Almost Famous

I could make a top ten list, but in my mind, these are the only films that really deserve top ten list status.

~rougerum

Pubrick

Quote from: Holden Pike
2. Wonder Boys[/b][/color][/size]
5. Requiem for a Dream[/b][/color][/size]
haha u used crimson and royal blue! that's dope.

make more lists.
under the paving stones.

soixante

A lot of people seemed to dump on 2000, but I thought there were plenty of great films -- certainly much more than 2001.

1.   Traffic
2.   Black and White
3.  Jesus' Son
4.  Chuck and Buck
5.  Dancer in the Dark
6.  Requiem for a Dream
7.  Almost Famous
8.  Wonder Boys
9.  Virgin Suicides
10.  Pollock

And there's also Erin Brockovich, Before Night Falls, Quills, Dr. T and The Women, American Psycho, State and Main, The Cell, Finding Forrester, Tao of Steve, and Croupier.  Not a bad list!
Music is your best entertainment value.

sexterossa

Quote from: soixanteA lot of people seemed to dump on 2000, but I thought there were plenty of great films -- certainly much more than 2001.

4.  Chuck and Buck

you can't be serious.

1. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
2. Requiem For a Dream
3. Amores Perros
4. You Can Count on Me
5. Memento
6. Traffic
7. High Fidelity
8. Dancer in the Dark
9. Quills
10. Cast Away
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

modage

MEMENTO Release Date: January 19, 2001 Sundance '01; March 16, 2001 LA/NY; March 30, 2001 Nationwide.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

2000 was the year of the rentals for me, as most of the ones you guys all loved made my bottom ten:

Traffic
You Can Count On Me
Wonderboys
State & Main

...etc

However, I did enjoy George Washington, High Fidelity, Ghost Dog, Almost Famous, Virgin Suicides, and Requiem For A Dream. And I loved The Whole Nine Yards, was that 2000 or 1999?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

LostEraser

Again, just posting my lists from previous years since I'm new and didn't get to do so before.

1. Dancer In The Dark
2. Unbreakable
3. Ghost Dog
4. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
5. Shadow Of The Vampire
6. Quills
7. Nurse Betty
8. Girl On The Bridge
9. The Virgin Suicides
10. O Brother Where Art Though
Capra tells us that, in effect, love's dreams are only dreams and that they will never quite bear translation into practical forms of relationship and expression. They will never be realized in the world but only in our consciousness and in our most daring and glorious works of art - but that, for Capra, is no reason to abandon love's dreams.
--Ray Carney, American Vision: The Films Of Frank Capra