he makes the best chases (Spielberg)

Started by pete, May 08, 2004, 02:36:03 AM

pete

I'll have to say that the best parts of Spielberg's are often the chases.  Most of the action movies he makes don't really have that much gunfights or explosions, but a lot of chases--they can be chases with guns and fires, but they're not set pieces as they would be in a john woo or james cameron movie.

I think sometimes he films his chases like Buster Keaton would--show the chase, cut to somewhere else, some other character just sitting around in his own little world, doing his own thing, then cut to the main characters chasing right through his little world.  For example, in Minority Report, a family just sitting around the table, eating, all of a sudden, dudes with jetpacks crash through their dining room from below.

any other observations?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Quote from: pete

any other observations?

Yup, his last three movies are considered an unofficial trilogy called "Man on the Run"  , in a way, chase movies
context, context, context.

matt35mm

I guess that The Terminal will be a total break from that then--a Man on the... Stay.

I don't expect much in the way of chases in The Terminal.

mutinyco

I don't know if it should be narrowed to just chases, but action/chases. For example, the extended sequence in Raiders starting after Indie and Marion escape from the snake pit. First you have the fight at the airplane, then they run off and Indie chases after the ark on horseback. That leads to the famous under the truck drag-along. The entire sequence is pretty amazing.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

pete

but that was my original point--the whole combination of action sequences are actually all part of a chase, in my opinion, as was always trying to run away somehow--from the big guy at the airfield, from the truck o' nazis.  the sense of urgency and danger does not come from indy's desire to take them out one by one, but indy's desire to run away (and find the ark).  you know what I'm saying?  it's different from a movie where the dueling is the setpiece.

Just to be a Jackie Chan police: in Indy 2 and 3 there were both stunts taken from Jackie's "Project A."
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Alethia

mutinyco

They say a feature debut tells you everything you need to know about a director. Depending whether you consider that to be Duel or The Sugarland Express, they're both chase films.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Sal

Quote from: mutinycoThey say a feature debut tells you everything you need to know about a director. Depending whether you consider that to be Duel or The Sugarland Express, they're both chase films.

silly reductivism.

Ravi

Quote from: matt35mm

You don't imagine there will be some chase sequence inside the airport?

mutinyco

Quote from: Sal
Quote from: mutinycoThey say a feature debut tells you everything you need to know about a director. Depending whether you consider that to be Duel or The Sugarland Express, they're both chase films.

silly reductivism.

Possibly. But the point stands.

-St. Joe

El Duderino

Quote from: Ravi
Quote from: matt35mm

You don't imagine there will be some chase sequence inside the airport?

maybe he steals shit from a store and airport security chases him
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

mutinyco

-St. Joe

reelistics07

if your one of the most succesful hollywood directors you need chases. Theres just no money in a chase-less film

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

even though Spielberg was the story-guy and not writer or director of Goonies, you still see alot of that 'breaking them out of their universe' thing at the beginning of the movie

reelistics07

what do you mean anti dumb...
is spielberg like an exceptable version of a pedophile?