Best Director=Best Picture?

Started by Derek, April 10, 2003, 02:03:39 PM

cowboykurtis

Quote from: DerekYou need to stop thinking so literally. I was looking at the philosophy of the matter, not the logistics.

good for you. i was thinking of the logistics. you need to stop thinking so philosophical.

there is a little thing called sarcasm. you're the one taking my words literally, buddy boy.
...your excuses are your own...

Derek

Quote from: cowboykurtis... 2 words....

jerk store
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

MacGuffin

Who will win the contest of "Getting The Last Word"?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Derek

I'm trying to break 100 posts.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Derek

jerk store

2 words -- Baby Store

Derek

Quote from: cowboykurtis
Quote from: Derek

jerk store

2 words -- Baby Store

:yabbse-thumbup:

Recce

well...that was mature. Now, if other people are allowed to post in this thread:
I think there should be different awards for best picture and best director. The director works his ass off and deserves some recognition, but his film isn't necessarily the best film. Some films are a lot harder to pull off then others. And if they pull it off with a good film, then they deserve the credit. I don't like the fact that the producer gets the oscar for best picture, but, I'm not 100% sure about this, byut I think, in the end, the production company gets the actual oscar, not a particular person. They have them on display at Paramount, etc. And don't they have best producer awards? Once again, not 100% sure, but I think I heard about that.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

cowboykurtis

why don't you like the fact of the producer getting the award for best picture? the producer is the one that makes it all possible.

Recce

yeah, but he or she don't have the same creative input as the director. I beleive the director used to get the best picture oscar until a few years ago.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Recceyeah, but he or she don't have the same creative input as the director. I beleive the director used to get the best picture oscar until a few years ago.

you're wrong.  the producer has always gotten it. look it up.
you have to realize that when it comes to best picture; a producer is the one who finds the material, options the screenplay, has the studio relationship, pitches the concept, raises the money, hires the director, helps cast the film, has final say of the films content and editing, decides marketing stratagies, and really oversees the whole production. yes the director is the creative mastermind, but it is the producer who is able to have the insight to put the right director with the right screenplay. obviously this does not apply to every project.: many directors develope there own projects and co-produce. but when talking about studio pictures this is traditionally how it goes. when it comes down to it, the producer is the first one on set and the last to go home. he's the grandfather of the film.

MacGuffin

When a Best Foreign Film wins an Oscar, it's awarded to the director.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Cecil

i think the way the oscars are now in terms of who gets what is okay and logical. same for the director and producer thing. the film the director made wins best picture.... why does he need a stupid little statuette to represent that?

cowboykurtis

Quote from: cecil b. dementedi think the way the oscars are now in terms of who gets what is okay and logical. same for the director and producer thing. the film the director made wins best picture.... why does he need a stupid little statuette to represent that?

Thank you

Cecil

EL__SCORCHO

Quote from: cowboykurtis
Quote from: Recceyeah, but he or she don't have the same creative input as the director. I beleive the director used to get the best picture oscar until a few years ago.

you're wrong.  the producer has always gotten it. look it up.
you have to realize that when it comes to best picture; a producer is the one who finds the material, options the screenplay, has the studio relationship, pitches the concept, raises the money, hires the director, helps cast the film, has final say of the films content and editing, decides marketing stratagies, and really oversees the whole production. yes the director is the creative mastermind, but it is the producer who is able to have the insight to put the right director with the right screenplay. obviously this does not apply to every project.: many directors develope there own projects and co-produce. but when talking about studio pictures this is traditionally how it goes. when it comes down to it, the producer is the first one on set and the last to go home. he's the grandfather of the film.

The producer's guild must love you cowboy! Yeah, I think things like the auteur theory takes a lot of credit away from the producer. A good producer is key to  a movie, the director doesn't do everything.

Just out of curiosity, what do you do cowboy? You looking to produce anything?