Woman In The Dunes

Started by Ghostboy, February 27, 2004, 05:57:29 PM

Ghostboy

I just watched Hiroshi Teshigahara's Woman In The Dunes today, and it is stunning. A brilliant piece of allegorical poetry (although I'm still thinking about its meaning). All narrative value aside, the look of the film is like something out of a dream -- it looks strikingly similar to Eraserhead -- and the way the sand moves through the frames alternates between terrifying and erotic. Which leads me to the first sex scene, which definitely ranks with one of the most erotic love scenes I've ever seen.

Also, I see Kubrick similarities in everything, but I seriously wonder if he had the score for this movie in mind when he was working on The Shining. The music is some of the eeriest I've heard in a film.

I did a search on the film here, and the only thread that came up was the Criterion one -- which I don't have time to pour through at the moment. Does anyone know if it's being released soon?

Chest Rockwell

I've never realy heard of it, but by your description/review it sounds fascinating!

Ghostboy

I just read Ebert's Great Movies piece on it, which was enlightening...

xerxes

it's a very strange film... i liked it a lot when i saw it a few years back... need to see it again

Gold Trumpet

I'm a big fan of this movie as well. For the dvd release, what was essentially said is that the company who is releasing this dvd now say they are losing the rights to it and Criterion is getting it. They speculated that Criterion will release a dvd at the end of this year at the earliest or early next year at the latest.