Against The Ropes - the female Jerry Maguire?

Started by MacGuffin, February 19, 2004, 09:24:02 PM

MacGuffin

Since it opens tomorrow:

Trailer here.

Cast: Meg Ryan (Jackie Kallen), Omar Epps (Luther Shaw), Joe Cortese (Irving Abel), Tim Daly (Gavin Ross), Charles S. Dutton (Felix Reynolds), Tony Shalhoub (Larocca), Kerry Washington (Renee), Skye McCole Bartusiak (young Jackie), Sean Bell (Ray Ray), Tamara Hickey (Megan), Tory Kittles (Devon Green), Gene Mack (Luther), Holt McCallany (Doherty)

Director: Charles S. Dutton (directorial debut)

Screenwriter: Cheryl Edwards (cowriter of Save the Last Dance)

Based Upon: The true story of boxing manager Jackie Kallen, who guided the careers of several major careers, including four world champions, like middleweight champ James Toney, as well as Bronco McKart and Thomas Hearns.

Premise: This is the true story of Jackie Kallen (Ryan), a Jewish woman from Detroit who became a boxing manager, guiding several major careers. This film focuses on her relationship with one boxer (Epps), who's reportedly a composite of several (including Toney, McKart and Hearns). Kallen eventually left her husband of 30 years, and moved to Los Angeles, becoming the commissioner of the International Female Boxers Association. (Shalhoub plays a boxing promoter; Daly plays a Detroit sports reporter).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ono

And Omar Epps is the poor man's Wesley Snipes.

modage

this movies been finished for like over a year, they've been testing the fucking previews trying to figure out a way to market it.  they fucked up royally because A.) Guys dont want to see a movie starring Meg Ryan about womens empowerment, and B.) Women dont want to see a movie about boxing!  so they've just eliminated EVERYBODY!

also, meg ryan was on conan the other day for the first time promoting this and she was acting like she'd never seen his show before and had no idea who he was.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

The pics in the poster look like they're from two different movies.

pete

Quote from: themodernage02this movies been finished for like over a year, they've been testing the fucking previews trying to figure out a way to market it.  they fucked up royally because A.) Guys dont want to see a movie starring Meg Ryan about womens empowerment, and B.) Women dont want to see a movie about boxing!  so they've just eliminated EVERYBODY!

also, meg ryan was on conan the other day for the first time promoting this and she was acting like she'd never seen his show before and had no idea who he was.

my name is not Vic, my name isn't Suzy
'cause I have a dick and I have a pussy
Being a hemaphordite!
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Finn

Terrible movie! In the Cut is a masterpiece compared to this junk. Meg Ryan is really horrible with her Cleveland accent and the screenplay is filled from top to bottom with cliches. I didn't see a shread of originality or quality out of the whole movie. Don't even consider comparing this with Jerry Maguire!
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: QuoyleTerrible movie! In the Cut is a masterpiece compared to this junk. Meg Ryan is really horrible with her Cleveland accent and the screenplay is filled from top to bottom with cliches. I didn't see a shread of originality or quality out of the whole movie. Don't even consider comparing this with Jerry Maguire!

You're just a Negative Ned.

Henry Hill

Against The Ropes - the female Jerry Maguire? BLASPHEMY!

Finn

If hating Against the Ropes is negative, then I don't want to be positive.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Mia Wallace

Can't say that i'm looking forward to this one.

Speaking of Jerry Maguire (one of my faves)... A *good* female Jerry Maguire movie would be hugely apreciated although not really needed.
I have to go powder my nose

Find Your Magali

From the Associated Press story rounding up the box office for the past week...

Meg Ryan's "Against the Ropes," in which she plays female boxing manager Jackie Kallen, premiered a distant No. 8 with $3 million.

That's ballgame, folks.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaAnd Omar Epps is the poor man's Wesley Snipes.

hahahaahhhaaahhha.....beautiful.........

this film looks  rather weak......i think iwould rather be drunk off cheap champange and watch "play it to the bone"..2 times before watching this....

but ii honestly belioeve that raging bull is better than this film....do U agreen?