There Will Be Blood - now with child/partner forum we call H.W.

Started by depooter, March 27, 2005, 02:24:56 PM

bonanzataz

i'm fucking dying to see this movie again. i want to see it more than i did before i saw it. i really can't fucking wait. it just won't leave me. i watch the trailer like crazy. i only saw the trailer once before i went to go see the movie. i'm listening to the soundtrack now. the last time i felt this way about a movie was probably punch drunk love. is this all just the fanboy in me (page 82, btw) or are his movies really that good? there's a movie theater a few blocks down from me. they usually play movies like this. i hope they get it. i'm going to go every day.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Pozer

you gotta love the way this film (all Anderson films actually) works.  our expectations are obviously set too high, and it's only til some time after when you begin to (for lack of a less cliched word) digest it and realize how masterful it really is.  for me it was the following morning.  and i loved it even more the 2nd time.  im beginning to think that it would relate to something like when Barry Lyndon first played to Kubrick fans back in the day.

p.s.

JG

yeah, that's the best thing i can say about this movie.  i consider myself a big movie fan but i rarely watch a movie twice within a short period of time.  i almost NEVER see a movie in theaters twice (unless someone else is paying for my ticket).  my general rule is that to see if a movie is great, i let it grow in my head.  a few of my favorite movies i've only seen once. 

right as soon as this ended, i wanted to go back to the beginning.  right back.   the greatness of the first sequence was already growing in my mind in by the time the movie ended.  certain things i forgot about i keep remembering.  its growing on me, but in a strange and unfamiliar way. i don't even know what that means. 

i tried to attribute my lack of immediate response to the movie to the novelty of the whole experience.  do you know one of my legs was shaking during the movie?  i didn't know why. i felt really strange during the whole thing, and i think today in class (during one of a million daydreams i've had about blood) i figured it out.

its cos i was so CLOSE.  not close like i was in the third row, but cos something about the movie kept me super close in a way that another movie hasn't done before. 

i'm still not even committing to calling this brilliant like the rest of y'all cos i just feel so strange about it.  i need to see there will be blood again. 

Pozer

cine

hahaha ok something needs to be said here. JG, next time, sit where all the NORMAL xaxers sit and then you wouldn't be so fixated on an actor's WHISKERS. no wonder you were having a nervous breakdown up there, who the hell could enjoy the movie so close like that? jesus christ son!

as for the movie, i loved it, obviously, what did anyone expect.. no doubt this was his finest achievement.. and i would agree with the others that said this was his magnum opus and also his Kubrick film.

the best part of the night was the last credit of the film.

Gamblour.

Quote from: bonanzataz on December 13, 2007, 04:23:36 PM
i'm fucking dying to see this movie again. i want to see it more than i did before i saw it. i really can't fucking wait.
WWPTAD?

JG

Quote from: Cinephile on December 13, 2007, 06:04:26 PM
hahaha ok something needs to be said here. JG, next time, sit where all the NORMAL xaxers sit and then you wouldn't be so fixated on an actor's WHISKERS. no wonder you were having a nervous breakdown up there, who the hell could enjoy the movie so close like that? jesus christ son!

when the heck did you guys get there to get those kind of seats?  anyways its not really so bad upfront, i adjust really quick.  its never bothered me. 

i was just being smug with the chin hairs comment, but i could still justify it and say that they were there for a reason.  dano was just really well cast. 

cine

sambong and i were at the front of the line, pal. sparrow then joined in, as did mod. cbrad was later helped, no thanks to sambong.

grand theft sparrow

Seriously, Cine and samsong were 2nd and 3rd in line after some Phish fan who looked like a guy I know.  I felt horrible at cutting the 15 or so people I did when I joined them... for about 35 seconds (thanks mod for setting me straight). 

As a matter of fact, we saw you, JG.  I had to convince Cine that you weren't sitting so far up just to kill PTA.

bonanzataz

Quote from: JG on December 13, 2007, 06:56:43 PM

when the heck did you guys get there to get those kind of seats?  anyways its not really so bad upfront, i adjust really quick.  its never bothered me. 

i got there five minutes before the movie started and i had really nice seats towards the back.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

cine

Quote from: H.(sparro)W. on December 13, 2007, 10:23:52 PMI had to convince Cine that you weren't sitting so far up just to kill PTA.

hahaha i forgot about that.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

B.C. Long

Quote from: ©MBBrad on December 13, 2007, 09:01:20 AM
100%

First bad review. 2 out of 4 stars.

http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/film_review.asp?ID=3387

QuoteAnother film-school-in-a-box by Paul Thomas Anderson, There Will Be Blood is a triumph of vivid, overly assertive aesthetic minutiae—crammed to its oil-slicked rafters with highly stylized forms of art direction, cinematography, performance, dialogue, and music. All that's missing from it is a sense of humanity.

noyes

the first stain.
i read that review earlier today before it was added.

basically, the film wasn't "human" enough for Eddie.
i don't get it. not "human" enough?
this movie isn't about humanity, it's about inhumanity (which makes it human by nature)
this obviously went over Eddie's head.

at least he acknowledged its grandiose and epic nature. i'll give him that.
he realizes it's a great film but for some reason is asking for a meal that was never cooked.
south america's my name.

john

Wow, fuck Slant Magazine.

Not because it's a negative review... but because it is a bad review. It's criticism seems to be based on the hypothetical. "If only the film would have told us this...." type of bullshit. It's lazy writing. From the presumptious comments about Anderson evoking Altman, to not being able to articulate it's points without spoiling major plot developments.

In the town I grew up in, there was a local film critic who, not only reviewed everything three weeks too late, gave poor reviews to the few god films he'd ever get around to seeing. Most notably, I remmeber his review of Magnolia - which he didn't like at all. It was a negative review based on it's running time, it's foul language, and the fact that Tom Cruise was in it but it wasn't Mission: Impossible. It was a laughable review that didn't really upset me because it was too silly to take seriously, and was probably only read by fifty people. As I read it, the one credit I gave him was, "at least he didn't bother to ruin the ending." Then I get to the last line:

"Oh yeah, at the end of the film frogs rained from the sky. I have no idea what that was all about."

this Slant review is the equivilant of that poor motherfucker's review eight years ago. The only difference is this one might be read by more than fifty people.

But hopefully not much more.

Fuck Slant Magazine.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.