Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements

Started by wilder, November 01, 2011, 01:54:56 AM

wilder

May 27, 2014

Claude Chabrol's The Color of Lies (1999) on blu-ray from Cohen Media Group

The Color of Lies (1999) - Amazon

In a little village in Brittany, a 10 year old girl is found murdered. René, an artist by profession and the girl's art teacher, is the last person to have seen her and he is immediately questioned by the police inspector in charge of the enquiry. In this little provincial village where everyone knows one another, René soon becomes the primary suspect in the eyes of his neighbors. The suspicion threatens to destroy his life and marriage.

"is brittany part of britan?" - everyone in my state

Pubrick

Quote from: 03 on March 05, 2014, 10:37:12 PM
"is brittany part of britan?" - everyone in my state

"is Britain spelled britan?" - you
under the paving stones.

wilder

July 8, 2014

John Boorman's Point Blank (1967) from Warner Bros.

Point Blank (1967) - WBShop

wilder

June 3, 2014

Francis Ford Coppola's The Outsiders (1983) from Warner Bros.

jenkins

get it? that's me showing my current amazon cart. amazon changed free shipping to orders over $35! tragedy. the days of 25 are gone with the roses, i need to obamacare before march 31, and after i took out mighty mouse's adventures my total dropped to below 35. life is so wacky. want to keep all this below $35 and i know i want the poetry book. that's a personal situation fyi

i need the power rangers to help me with this, please

has anyone seen city of god in the past like ten years and does it hold up? i feel like it'll float my cloud back down to the kingdom of cinema heaven, that's a solid prediction right, my memory of the movie tells me that

trying to be adult realistic and accept that the magnificent ambersons will never head to bluray. is anyone here actually an adult and is that true?

cannonball is no death race 2000 i bet i guess maybe i've never seen it shouldn't i see cannonball

seems ok i already dropped mighty mouse. i was thinking it'd be fun to see pre-ren&stimpy John Kricfalusi but wtf am i going to do with a goddamn mighty mouse dvd like longterm you know

you can chat about one of these random things with me,

or please announce random purchases you made last year and i'll probably feel inspired (last year is when i stopped crazy-mad-buying-like-very-often-buying dvds/blurays),

or for example what's the Best of the Randoms from this thread?

options here. just kick some ass. we're goddamn power rangers

wilder

Quote from: wilder on December 16, 2013, 03:39:48 PM
May 2014 TBD

Michelangelo Antonioni's The Vanquished (1953) on blu-ray from Raro Video

Challenging linear narrative by weaving multiple story lines and exploring a directorial style way ahead of his time, director Michelangelo Antonioni's unique triptych film features three murders, one taking place in Paris, another in Rome, and another in London. All of the perpetrators are affluent youths, each killing for dubious motives. In the France segment, a group of adolescents kill for money, even though they don't need it; in the London segment, a poet uncovers a woman's body and tries to profit from the discovery; and in the Italian segment, a student becomes caught up in a smuggling ring, with deadly results. With elements that serve as a precursor to Blowup, Antonioni explores how modern society can produce nihilistic tendencies in the least likely characters.   

This now has a release date of June 10, 2014

wilder

Alright the lower profile stuff I think is worth a look:

-Second Sight's release of Jean-Jacques Beineix's Betty Blue (1986) (Not the US version, which looks like garbage due to some smooth-motion type filtering)

-Curtis Harrington's Night Tide (1961) starring Dennis Hopper, which sort of has the feel of a Val Lewton movie

-Jean-Pierre Melville's Two Men in Manhattan (1959)

-Jean Rollin's The Iron Rose (1973), it being the most minimalist and poetic film he made

-Frank Perry's The Swimmer (1968), a dark, devastating dream set against the sun-soaked valley

-Schizophrenia (1983) (aka Angst) which puts Requiem's use of doggie cam to shame

-Claude Chabrol's La Ceremonie (1995) for the best example of folie à deux I can think of

-Jacques Deray's The Outside Man (1972) starring Jean-Louis Trintignant and Roy Scheider, for a French Crime style take on Los Angeles

-James Ivory's The Remains of the Day (1993) for the masterclass in subtle acting by Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson

-All of the Pialat's, but especially Police (1985), Under the Sun of Satan (1987), and We Won't Grow Old Together (1972)

-Warner Archive's Forbidden Hollywood series of Pre-Code films

-And some classics, From Here to Eternity (1953) and The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) which will remind you of the time when Hollywood was great

jenkins

wilder

Hahaaa this trailer is awesome

and a higher quality assemblage of clips from the movie set to one of its themes (nsfw?)

wilder

July 29, 2014

Herzog: The Collection from Shout Factory

Shout Factory has officially announced and detailed Herzog: The Collection. Limited to 5,000 copies, the 13-disc Blu-ray box set features 16 acclaimed films and documentaries, 15 of which are making their Blu-ray debuts. The release will be available for purchase on July 29th.

Herzog: The Collection also features a 40 page booklet that includes photos, an essay by award-winning author Stephen J. Smith, and in-depth film synopses by Herzog scholars Brad Prager and Chris Wahl. Bonus features include English and German audio commentaries, the documentaries Herzog in Africa and Portrait: Werner Herzog, interviews and original theatrical trailers.

Herzog has taken his camera to parts of the world no other director would dare go, and told stories in ways previously unconsidered. These sixteen masterpieces, which blur the line between "fiction" and "documentary," illustrate why Werner Herzog is the most intrepid, creative, and dangerous filmmaker of our lifetime.

Box Set Content

Even Dwarfs Started Small
Land of Silence and Darkness
Fata Morgana
Aguirre, the Wrath of God
The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser
Heart of Glass
Stroszek
Woyzeck
Nosferatu the Vampyre
Fitzcarraldo
Ballad of the Little Soldier
Where the Green Ants Dream
Cobra Verde
Lessons of Darkness
Little Dieter Needs to Fly
My Best Fiend

Special Features

-English Audio Commentaries: Even Dwarfs Started Small, Fata Morgana, Aguirre, the Wrath of God, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Heart of Glass, Strozek and Cobra Verde.
-German Audio commentaries: Nosferatu the Vampyre, Fitzcarraldo, Where the Green Ants Dream.
-In Conversation - Werner Herzog and Laurens Straub (in German with English Subtitles)
-The Making of Nosferatu The Vampyre
-Portrait: Werner Herzog documentary
-Herzog In Africa documentary
-Theatrical Trailers

Herzog: The Collection - Amazon

Ravi

BFI is also releasing a Herzog set with slightly different content (titles not on Shout Factory set bolded)

http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/announcements/bfi-dvdblu-rays-announced-summer-2014

The Werner Herzog Collection – mammoth Blu-ray and DVD box sets compiling 18 of the legendary German director's films from late 1960s to the early 1980s, including:

The Unprecedented Defence of the Fortress Deutschkreuz (1967)
Last Words (1968)
Precautions Against Fanatics (1969)
Fata Morgana (1971)
Handicapped Future (1971)
Aguirre, Wrath of God (1972)
Land Of Silence and Darkness (1971)
Heart of Glass (1976)
Stroszek (1977)
The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser (1974)
The Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner (1974)
How Much Wood Would a Woodchuck Chuck (1978)
Woyzeck (1979)
Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979)
Fitzcarraldo (1982)
Huie's Sermon (1983)
God's Angry Man (1983)
Cobre Verde (1987)

Extras include Jack Bond's long-unseen South Bank Show on Herzog from 1982. (July)

Just Withnail

It also lacks some of the Shout Factory titles, but it's the one I'll buy as it's about a third of the price.

wilder

November 10, 2014

Nicolas Roeg's Bad Timing (1980) from Network

Bad Timing (1980) - Amazon UK